Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Copper or Composite Exhaust Gasket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, Oct 30, 2018.

?
  1. Copper

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Composite

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Mattilac

Mattilac

I am mating iron exhaust manifolds to iron heads on a Ford 460 and can't decide whether to use an SCE embossed copper gasket or a Fel-Pro laminate composite gasket. I did have to mill the manifolds flat again since they were warped about .020" taller in the middle than at the ends. I'd like to do this once and only once.

Thoughts?

IMG_6407.jpg

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Ford never put gaskets on them from the factory. The gaskets will burn out and leak. Being a 460, they are real bad about warping. I have seen many of them with the bolts broken off flush with the head. Not sure if the bolts broke, allowing the manifold to warp or if the manifold warped and broke the bolt !!!

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This is an old controversy, “to gasket or not to gasket, that is the question”. I would make sure both surfaces are flat, coat the manifold with “ high heat sealer” bolt on quickly, while sealer is still tacky. Just my 02.
    If you are not comfortable with that, use the thinnest gasket.

Bones

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. Been thinking about "O" ringing mine with brass or copper rings. Maybe brazing rod.

Ben

5. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

no gaskets...can't remember the product name but black hi-temp exhaust goop is best IMHO

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a set of headers on a sbf that I had problems keeping gaskets on. Tried the copper ones, they were too hard to seal. Found some dead soft layered aluminum Mr Gasket brand at a swap meet, peeled them to half thickness, used half on each side, never leaked again. I have used the copper ones on sbc’s before and they sealed fine, might have just been the last set I bought were too hard.

7. bedwards

bedwards

Tried the composite on mine twice before I bought the copper. No trouble since the copper.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

9. Mattilac

Mattilac

I think I'll go with the copper. Heard it promotes better heat transfer between the manifolds and heads which helps preventing warping. o_O

10. Copper over the composite for sure. I'd even try a hi-temp copper spray and no gaskets. Any SBC exhaust manifold I've ever put on an engine... no gasket.

11. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

op says he's using cast iron manifolds on cast iron heads. no gasket required.

12. deucemac

deucemac

As said before, Ford didn't use gaskets. The head surface and manifold mating surface were Blanchard ground at the factory. I worked for Ford dealers many years and every Blanchard Ground Ford that someone installed gaskets on, leaked. Sometimes warping the manifolds so badly that new manifolds were needed. Only the above ones ever leaked without gaskets. In normal service, flat, straight manifolds and heads should last a lifetime.