Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Mopar Mans Dream Find...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mopar Jack, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

The GTX is a 440 car,but i will check it to be sure,i also will take some more pictures...What are you going to do with all them hemis?

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

The 426 is off to the machine shop...

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't think there is a chance of that happening. They are nothing like the true Hemis.

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

First, the naming. When there were just the early and late hemis, that was enough to tell. You could also call them whales and elephants.
    With the modern version, stuff shifted. New kind of works, but it's better to call them 3rd gen. hemis. That's the name that seems to be most used and best describes it, even though it is more of a pent roof than a true half sphere.
    Straight compare? 345 cu. in. to 425 cu. in. New tech to old tech. Not the same. New engine performs better in stock and near stock. Better MPG, better power, more RPM, less maintainence. I don't think you will see many running full loads of nitro though!

As for desire, yes they will be desireable if you can still run any engine in any car. They will not command the same prices (Vehicle or engine) as the 426 style due to a couple things;
    Rarity - rare does not always mean valuable, but it does help. The 3rd gen is produced in large numbers and various displacements and HP levels. So there are more to fill demand. There are also aftermarket suppliers turning out many of the hard parts that also increase the volume.
    Legendary status - The 426 had a name that was and still is held in high esteem. So much so that the new engine is basking a bit in the limelight of the previous engine (Yeah, it's got a Hemi). The 5.7/6.1 is in a different era (not as much stock car racing = drag or circle) and is installed in trucks too. So while it is a great engine, it is not the stuff of legend. Ford has supercharged their V8s in the GT and the top end Mustangs. They are probably the closest current American engine that would compare. The thing is, tuners (Saleen, Shelby) and the aftermarket offer upgrades too, so it's not the same as it was.

Mopar Jack likes this.
  5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mopar Jack, is this hemi yours or your friends? Your original post seems to say that he haggled price, bought it, and you're telling the story. Did you buy it from Ethan?

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

No,my friend bought it,i was with him,i brought it home for him,he lives next door to me...

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the Rockne, damn few of those around anymore.

Mopar Jack likes this.
  8. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Thank you....i love mine....im getting ready to tare it down,and restubb the front end.

9. there were ALOT more Hemi's built then those in the know think....think NASCAR...

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

not to mention all those 500 dollar short blocks they advertised in CC and HR in the mid seventies~!

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Well i guess somebody must be hoarding all of them...lol.....

12. Probably not. There are way more modern Hemis out there in everything from Ram trucks to Chargers to Challengers to 300s. Plus, they are NOT a true Hemi! The new "Hemi" is actually a Polysphere-head engine.

13. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I just got recieved news that the old man in this story has passed away,i will be staying in touch with the mans son.I will keep everybody informed...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

15. dlmann

dlmann
    from az

roadtesting a dodge d700 i had worked on at the dealer i,m driving on some back roads and cresting a hill i spot the "a" pillar of a chrysler in a field[never would have seen it in a passenger car].went back to investigate at lunch break and was shocked to find a maroon 67 charger in the field.peeled back the tall grass and it has the 426 emblem of the front fender. i figure no way--so crawl under the car and check out the dana but cant really tell if its real. stopped back again on the way home for supper and waited for the owner to come home. sure enough 67 hemi charger 4spd dana with rear spoiler 26,000 miles. make the deal and borrow a truck and trailer to bring home on satuday,load the car, i.m leaving but the guy stops me and says the stuff in the garage goes with it? open that door and not one but two complete hemi engines go with this running car! story goes the car purchased at the dealer i was working at-engine replaced under warranty--broke that one and put in one from a wrecking yard. had the original engine -the warranty engine and the car was running with the junkyard engine-drove it for two years and sold it -this happened in the early 80,s. sorry a little o/t but reading this thread brought back memories--the only hemi car sold at that dealer!

Mopar Jack likes this.
  16. storm king

storm king

I'd say that is a find of a lifetime.

17. The first year of the Street Hemi was the highest production year. Race Hemi started in 1964. In total, about 6500 street cars were made during 66-71, plus lots of motors and parts over the counter.

They need more compression to bring real power out. Factory rated 10.25-1, they actually measure to about 9-1 when cc'ed.

Skinny 5/16" valve stems (and seals) wear out with 30K miles due to side and spring loads.

I've had 3 Street Hemi cars, including a untouched 1-owner 1966 Charger with 130k on it.

Steve

18. I love my HEMI....:)

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
  19. That's a sticker used on Max Wedge 426 cars (in glove box). May have been on Race Hemi too, but never a Street Hemi.

Steve

20. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I love mine too...

21. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

The old mans son has inherited the GTX,and now its not for sale...im still trying to buy some of the hemi stuff he has left...

22. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Wow,forgot all about this thread,my friend changed plans and bought a car with a Hemi in it,the 1966 426 Hemi has been sitting in his garage all this time.He plans on selling it or maybe trading for a running Hemi engine,any interest hit me up and I will put you in touch...

23. hummm....trading it for a running Hemi....that would be a deal........

24. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

If someone was restoring a 1966 426 Hemi car,and needed a correct engine,this could be a hell of a deal..

25. hemi426

hemi426

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. hemi426

hemi426

Any chance the Hemi is still available?

27. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Still sitting in his garage...

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Spotted this on that website the other day. NOS short 1970 426 Hemi crate engine for only $37K :eek::eek: It still needs a refurbish before use going by the rust in the bores.

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

30. Deuces

Deuces

For 39k???? That's insane!!!.... :confused:

OLSKOOL57 and mgtstumpy like this.