Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Performance update on "SINISTER 1"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlineracer42, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Hey Guys its bean awhile! I built a new bullet, 11.5 -1 compression 414. I knew the TKO 600 would be the weak link and sure enough I rounded off 3rd gear, thought mebbe twas because it was 7 years old... I bought $800.00 + worth of 3rd gear and made 4 passes and did it AGAIN!!! So I sold my entire parts stash, some of which I have owned over 40 years!!!! Well, today I ordered a NEW G Force 101A 4-speed. This sucker should hold up as it is rated for 1000 h.p.! My new bullet makes 630-650 so I should be good! Also, I still need to build some 2 1/8" headers that pipemax calls for as the ones I have are choking it down quite a bit! Prolly gonna have to build some sissy bars also so I do not have to slip the clutch a bunch to keep the front end down. The trans. will not get here in time to do any racing this year but I WILL be the first one out this spring! Best time in testing ( Kept breaking trans so not much testing just breaking!!!) 10.14 @ 131.68!!! The factory G Force rep sez his tranny should knock off at least .20 from my time!!! I went from a faceplated TKO 600 with .287 low gear to a .317 gear in the G Force. That should help my lowly 1.43 60' ( @ 3100lbs.) times a bunch! Knockin on the 9s!!!! Not bad fer a heavy ass street car....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    loudbang, catdad49, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  2. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Not bad at all :) What clutch do you have?

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is one-bad-Hot Rod you have, your gonna love that G-Force :)

4. I am running a Ram Sintered Iron Disc, or a Slipper type clutch with an Adjustable pressure plate with billet counter weighted arms by Tim Hyatte (R.I.P.) racing clutches. It works great!

5. Thankyou! I really liked my TKO just making toooo much steam for it and it was rated at 600 ft. lbs.! Ya that G Force is gonna be TITS!!! It better be for what it cost!!!!!

6. Yes sir..........it's going to be a long winter for you

redlineracer42 likes this.
  7. It should be here in a couple weeks. If the weather holds I will get a little street cruising in and check it out fer sher!!!

8. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Let me know if you get tired of switching that clutch back and forth between "street" and "strip" settings. I've got a fix that's quite a bit easier on the transmission, especially if you are going to shift it clutchless.

Grant

9. ok You have my curiosity up!

10. guitarguy

guitarguy

Sorry a little off topic, but WOW, I had no idea Tim Hyatt had passed a couple of years back. I only talk to the guy one time, but he returned my call and helped me more in 15 minutes than anybody had in weeks----and I had not even bought anything from him and told him as such! He was a first class guy for sure and my project might still be all messed up if not for him.

BTW, cool car, I stumbled across this thread recently and keep checking back.

11. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

The fix involves removing all the counterweight, adding enough base to control clutch slippage in high gear, then using a slip device like the ClutchTamer to dial in the hit at the track. You will then be able to use the same track settings on the street/highway, with no worries about low rpm clutch slipping when you get into the throttle during casual driving.

This setup actually performs even better at the track than what you have now. With conventional slipper clutch tuning using counterweight, you are always trying to balance having enough clamp to hold in hi gear against getting the clutch to slip enough during launch. Those two things have always been tied together in the past, but adding a slip device effectively separates them. By ditching the counterweight and adding a slip device to control the hit, you can get that soft launch at a much higher rpm and still having enough clutch to hold in high gear. Launch rpm is basically stored energy, and the engine has to make the energy that it takes to spin up that rotating assy. It's better to spin it up prior to the start, which makes more power available to accelerate the car when the clocks are running. If you try that with a conventional slipper clutch, the centrifugal assist will hit too hard and that added launch rpm energy just gets wasted in excessive wheel spin.

If you use this setup and shift the G101A clutchless, the hit after the shifts will end up much softer than what you have now. Your current clutch clamp pressure at the shift point is much higher than it needs to be due to that centrifugal assist, which means it's hitting your input shaft much harder than you need to. On cars with data recorders, that shows up as an instant wheelspeed spike just after a clutchless shift. A softer hit after the shift results in less energy being wasted as instant wheelspin, making more energy available to accelerate the car.

Grant

loudbang and redlineracer42 like this.
  12. Man, that is one nice looking hot rod! HRP

13. Very interested! I have seen something like this a THe Meltdown. How much is one and where can I get it? Thanks!

14. Thanks Hotrod I have been building it somewheres around 35 years!!!

15. His son Chris is running the show now I was told. Thanks also, I have been building this car somewheres around 35 years...

16. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Here's a link to the website... http://clutchtamer.com

redlineracer42 and loudbang like this.