Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Looks great!! Do ya have seat covers for those seats? I have two brand new black ones, let me know if your interested. I'll sell them to you cheap!!!!

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

No I don't have covers. They are EMPI seats . PM me with the price. Thanks.

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not much progress, but I did get my Lexan windows in, Now need to find some glue on trim so they look sort of factory. I am leaving the stock glass in the doors , it is light and already installed so I can roll them down. DSCF3482.JPG DSCF3483.JPG

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got some tough news yesterday about my health. My heart doctor told me I had a torn valve in my heart and I am to avoid any heavy lifting or straining that could cause the valve to tear completely.
    He said I would bleed out before I could get to the hospital.
    So I guess this project is on hold . I can keep tinkering with it but no heavy lifting or straining . Even torqueing a bolt is out. Open heart surgery is my next step for a valve replacement and then he said no more . My heart has other damage that can only be corrected by a new one.
    I guess it is not meant for me to race anymore. It has been a good run. I started racing in 1965 and this was going to be my last car.
    It will be in the classifieds in a few days as soon as I can get a list together of everything that goes with the car and all of the new parts I have purchased for it.
    Thanks to all who have followed the build and encouraged me along the way. The car is so close it would only take about a month to finish for anybody wanting a Gasser or streetable Gasser with a few changes.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Well that truly sucks. Listen to the docs. I went in for just a checkup one morning and buy that afternoon had a triple bypass I think it was better that way never had time to sit around thinking about it. Good luck on whatever way you proceed.

Fiddle Picker, mad mikey and enloe like this.
  6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Well that sucks, I was hoping you could see it to the end. I was so glad for you when you got back on it earlier in the build. Hope all works out for you. will keep you in my thoughts.......

Fiddle Picker, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear this.
    Praying for the best for you.

8. oj

oj

Goddamn! That is an eye-opener! Could've been much much worse had you doctors not discovered it, at least now you can make choices, lifting a fishing pole instead of a transmission for instance.
    Somebody is going to get a fine little car, hopefully a hambr and continue with the build.
    Thanks for the thread, I'm sure it is an inspiration to others, good job!

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

X2

10. The car sure has come a long way since that HOT DAY day we drug it out from behind the house and I know it has to be difficult to let it go since it is so close to being finished but please listen to you cardiologist, your health is far more important.

Hopefully in the future you will have the satisfaction of watching the car that you built compete. HRP

Fiddle Picker and mad mikey like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yeah. It will take about 1500 bucks and a short time to get it finished. It needs a clutch set up , a battery and fuel lines and wiring and a set of slicks. I even have the paint to paint it with.
    I have put my heart and soul into this car and really sucks , but life goes on.

12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hate to hear this. I've been following your build, but, your health is much more important. Maybe you'll at least get to see it run down the strip soon!

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

God Bless you brother.... maybe you could trade it for a Model A Coupe to enjoy?

14. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Prayers to you brother! As suggested, maybe use the proceeds towards a streeter.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  15. X3. I’m sorry to hear that news but, as already said, you can at least pursue other interests vs the alternative.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Is there anything my son or I could come do to help you out? Will you make a nice cruising car instead? We could come help out with the heavy lifting...

17. trollst

trollst

Keep the car for now, selling is like admitting defeat. As a guy with heart issues, I can tell you its not over, you'll feel a lot better with a new valve, after that you can tinker, get the thing done to your satisfaction, find a young guy who will lift the big shit, reward him with the pleasure of racing it under your tutelage, that way you don't lose your investment of time and money. Its all about bringing in the new blood, find a way to do that, otherwise, you'll die on the couch. Remember, its not over till the fat lady sings, she hasn't sung yet. Trust me.
    Upon reflection, take on enloe's kid, if they're not far away, teach him to race.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I agree with this. It will be a hard sell unfinished unless you are willing to take pennies on the dollar. A running car is easier to find a buyer eventually. Ultimately it's your decision but at least look at all the options. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Sorry to hear about your heart. Hang in there. Sending prayers your way

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am going to take Enloe up on his offer to give me a hand. I have not stopped working on the car.
    I am still tinkering with the light stuff. Like brake lines and fuel lines.
    Thanks for all of the prayers and words of encouragement. I wish I could find a young guy that wanted to go racing that lived around here . So I could teach him and he could help me.

21. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Keep your eyes open. They're rare, but not unicorn rare.

22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@enloe you are a good man. @southcross2631 , I'm on my second valve replacement in the last 7 years, just had work done mid-October. I'm not a traditional candidate, so I'll spare you the long boring story, but I was back to 90% of where I used to be after my first replacement, in about 6-8 months. It's amazing what can be done these days. Worst part for me was getting overall strength back to where it needs to be. Zero problems with the heart following procedure. You are in our thoughts here.

23. papajohn

papajohn

I've had an artificial valve for 13 yrs. Wasn't a bad surgery, had him go in from the side. Less painful, quicker recovery. Had open heart surgery as a kid. Cracked my chest bone for that. Hurt for a while and much longer recovery. It'll be over before you know it, and you will be back in the shop.
    Good luck with it. Don't get discouraged.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

The biggest problem isn't having the surgery . It's the heart doctor that wants to wait for a year or so .
    I am really not having any problems right now , but if I do a lot of heavy lifting or straining. Even torqueing bolts could cause the valve to tear and it would be curtains.
    I would love to have the surgery tomorrow , so I could get on with my life. I can do all of the normal things in life. I can walk , run , play golf, but building a car is hard heavy work and that's what I can't do.
    I know lot's of people who have had heart surgery. Hell my mom had a pacemaker installed at 97 and she is doing fine.
    I need to find someone that lives in the east Tn. area that wants to drive a straight axle gasser and is willing to work to make it happen. Help with the build and invest a few dollars to help finish the car so I know that they are serious.

25. Sorry to hear of this set back. Hang in there with the car, I believe you will find the person you need. Hell ,I wish I lived close to you, I would help finish her up. And drive for you.

26. Jiminy

Jiminy

Maybe you should consider getting a second opinion on the year wait.

swade41, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is a second opinion. I have been to two different heart doctor's with basically the same diagnosis.

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

29. Jiminy

Jiminy

Sorry

30. @enloe , you’re a nice guy! I’ve seen your posts and read your threads - a real class act!
    @southcross2631 , I’m glad you’re taking him up on his offer instead of throwing in the towel. I hope you find someone to take over the car and wants to benefit from your knowledge. Good luck to you both!