Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many hot rods and or customs do you own?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 30, 2018.

?

How many hot rods/customs do you own?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2018.
  1. 1-3

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. 3-5

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I have a real problem 5+

24 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wish I were one of those guys that only collected one body style/year car, but I usually average a minimum of 4.

How many do you have in your stable?

2. Root, I have 3 drivers & one long term project. HRP

3. “I don’t want to talk about it”

Is the answer I give to non car people. You guys understand the disease though - I hover around 10 which makes about a baker’s dozen for vehicles total. My personal cutoff year doesn’t quite mesh with the hamb standard but close.

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

Stogy, slv63, classiccarjack and 4 others like this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 keepers-wife's 55 (had 41 years) and my 40 coupe. Always another in progress-40 std now in upholstery shop-looking for another one. One at a time for me-keeps me focused.

Stogy, Hamtown Al, LOU WELLS and 3 others like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I tend to collect projects with good intentions. I mainly collect 35-36 Ford pickups, but there are only so many variations I can create of those.....

Stogy, slv63, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Two Utes from Australia, one a drive that needs suspension work, the other a body shell that need a total rebuile
    One 1954 Phoney Bark Ford Wagon than needs a total rebuild
    The 40 Ford Truck that has a trans change started
    1959 Morris Minor Traveller needs a wood kit
    1969 Chevy Long horn with Raises and lowers Alaskan Camper
    1928 Ford Roadster Land Speed (soon to get a GMC 302)
    1959 Ford Production Pickup with a 223 Ford about half way to a El Mirage Run
    1932 Plymouth Sedan about a 1/4 done
    1962 Sunbeam Alpine
    The Wife drives a 28 Roadster as her daily driver
    And I just traded my running 59 ford panel for a 40 Ford Truck project
    Mickey Thompson mini bike
    Don't ask about he travel trailers and motor homes
    Hi, my name is Tony and I have an addiction, and I love it!

Stogy, rod1, 50 customcoupe and 4 others like this.
  7. Just two that might be considered remotely HAMB friendly..... 20170917_072156.jpg 20170917_072324.jpg 20180816_104629.jpg 20170611_070856.jpg

8. One driver, 1947 Ford club coupe, and 2 long term projects(in waitng). 1934 Ford Victoria and 1956 Nomad.

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. I prefer quality over quantity, so one is enough.
    Same with my other, non-"Hot Rod and or Custom", type cars. One of each is plenty.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  10. I use to be one of those guys, when I first really got interested in building hot rods I cut my teeth on model A's and that's all I wanted, then I fell in love with 40 Fords and at one time had 7 at one time and then I moved on to '32 Fords and I have had 3 drivers at the same time.

Today cars are a little eclectic but still prefer Fords.

'32 Ford sedan, '54 Ford Ranch Wagon, '50 Ford coupe and the '65 Ford truck still waiting patiently in the barn. HRP

11. I get kidded a lot about this at our retiree breakfast. At one time I had 18 and admitted it. I got rid of a lot so now I just tell them...."I don't want to talk about it."like fourspeedwagon said. They aren't car people anyway so they don't get it. Besides, I am down to 4 running, one project and 5 I am storing for when I am reincarnated into a younger version of myself.

12. Don, I would think before you retired from the postal service you ran across a lot of cars sitting in peoples yards. HRP

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  13. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i have 2 and some days i think that is 2 two much ..a 59 ford f 100 and a 59 austin healey..with a big block chevy motor..

Stogy, mnjeff, scott27 and 1 other person like this.
  14. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I've had my 34 Ford coupe over 40 years, the 49 F1 for over 10 years, both drivers. There are four projects sitting in the garages, all HAMB friendly. And a GOOD friend has a couple projects sitting on his farm. Now, all I gotta do is live a long life & get some energy back.

15. Yes I did. I could snoop without being creepy. Thats how I found my 65 Corvette for $2500.
    A few parts too. I once spotted a cross bolted 427 Ford block lying in some bushes on one of my routes. It was too rusty for me though, I left it.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Want to double your investment on the vette? :D HRP

17. Well my investment over the 35 years that I have owned it would be a considerably higher amount than my initial purchase price...
    The Vette and the 32 coupe I got from you will not see another owner in my lifetime..:D

18. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I'm an outside sales rep and travel a lot of back roads. I keep a note pad handy to jot down vehicles and their locations for future reference. I had 5 hot rods, but, recently sold my 64 Dodge Polara 500 project, down to 4 keepers ( ? ). 31 Model A coupe project, 39 Olds coupe gasser project, 56 Belair project and an OT driver 69 Pro Street Camaro.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got 5 running, driving finished deuces and one in the oven! Also not HAMB friendly a late model Corvette. I'm currently attempting to thin the herd????????

20. j hansen

j hansen

My fat asses...... Skärmavbild 2018-10-30 kl. 17.01.08.png

Felix 40, belair, Al G and 12 others like this.
  21. I've got 2, and seriously thinking of slimming down to 1. Unless you're retired with disposable income, this hobby is expensive and time consuming.

22. Down to the two in my avatar. And, the Camino could be had, for the right trade.

23. deucemac

deucemac

I only have 4 at the moment but I want to share my late and dear friend's one time collection. At age 14, both me and my friend Danny Barger got our first cars. I got a '48 Ford coupe and Danny got a '40 Ford deluxe fordor. I later sold mine but Danny kept his. When we were young, '40 Fords were just old cars and he would get calls from people saying, " Are you the kid that likes '40 Fords? Well come over and you can have the one I have. Just get it out of here!". And, so he did, half a coupe, most of a sedan and so forth. He would consolidate a few partials into one complete car and on it would go. At the height of his collection, he 27 running, driving, and finished cars plus enough left over parts to build several more! Of the 27, only 4 were actually purchased by him. The rest were free, haul away and good riddance donations. He told me he had his retirement on wheels to enjoy. Managing the herd got to be too much and he cut back to only 17 plus 2 '32s for good measure. Sadly, Danny passed away at age 56, a year after retiring. His children sold off the collection to many excited new owners. There are so many crazy stories about Danny and his growing collection that I could write books about them. Most people thought he was nuts, but those that really knew him, knew of his love for those cars and the joy of having to decide which hot rod he would drive each day. Rest on peace old friend, I miss you and your '40s

Shalamo, Stogy, i.rant and 16 others like this.
  24. That was a real nice story, deucemac. Made me smile.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Pre 64....five including the Pel State truck.

Post 64...I haven't counted lately....

Need sheet metal for 47-54 Chevy long wheelbase panel truck.

For the Pel State truck restoration!

Dave

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just three. A '55 Chevy BelAir 2 door post with a 327-300. I'm just finishing up on a '37 Chevy coupe. The 3rd "last project" is a '54 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup that is keeping the inline 6. It is now a frame on jack strands with the other stuff everywhere.

I started on the '55 in 2003 and it was to be my "last car". Funny how it keeps going, isn't it?

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

The problem is, if you throw a little money at all of them, nothing ever gets finished.

slv63, da34guy, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

One driver hotrod ('40 Sedan) , one driver mild custom ('59 Thunderbird), but working on two (57 F100, which will be a custom show truck, and a F-1 panel truck that will be more of a hot rod) and collecting parts for another hot rod and a '49 Mercury that will be a full custom. Yup, I'm sick.

Stogy, flynbrian48 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Hmm, why am I thinking of my ex wife when I see this pic???:rolleyes:

texasred, LOU WELLS, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  30. I fall into the "Real Problem" category,

Stogy, Pinstriper40, Roothawg and 2 others like this.