Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found our stolen '31 coupe-but need advice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayovertorqued, Jul 21, 2008.

1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Whats new on this.

2. wayovertorqued

wayovertorqued

Digging thru old emails and up pops this site with question i posted about my car. how many years ago? wow! Never did get the car back - because the guy owned his own construction company and his wife taught handicapped kids and was such an ‘Upstanding citizen’he tipped him them off that they were getting a warrant. stupid detective called me and asked me to send him pics of a 31 5 window because he didnt know what one looked like. detective told me he asked the guy what was under the tarp and he told him it was an anglia or something. the cop didnt even look under the tarp, he just believed him. of course it got moved after that. when they went in, sure it was an anglia under there but the cops didnt bother to even look the first time. then i ran into someone that knew the guy really well. i told him the whole story. he came back later and told me he asked him about the car and the bastard said ‘why should i lose the car- i paid 5 grand for it’. god help me to this day that guy is gonna get his. sheriffs are uselessaround here. so theres the update to this pitiful post years later. thank you all for the info and replies. please learn from my mistakes and keep all your hot rods/cars safe.

deadbeat, Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. I didn't follow any of that......Sorry....

4. 6inarow

6inarow

go back and read from the beginning.

@wayovertorqued I feel for you. This is usually what happens to me. I hate a thief. Especially the ones who hide in the front row of church

chryslerfan55, wraymen and 48fordnut like this.
  5. Kind of off topic but always keep your eyes and ears open, you never know what you will hear.

Summer of 69 a friend crashed his custom El Camino. Hit a bridge abutment hard but he survived. Anyway, it was at a gas station that had a towing contract with the city. El Camino had chrome reverse wheels all around, 396 four speed.

So a couple friends and I stopped to look at it, alongside the station unfenced area. I noticed the wheels and tires were missing. So a pump jockey comes up to us and first thing asks if we are interested in any parts from it. I play dumb and inquire about the wheels and tires, the two guys with me are not saying a word.

Pump jockey said "My boss sold those last week, the wreck has been here almost a month, he's filing a lien against it". Well I knew it was insured and my friend was going around with the insurance company for payoff. Pump boy then said that the 396 was not hurt but the trans case was cracked, they had checked it all out already. He then asks me if I'm interested in any parts from it.

So I reply "I'm not, but my friend will be interested. His name is John Doe (not real but I used his real name) and he's gonna be real pissed when he finds out you're stripping his car and trying to get title."

Kid turns real pale and starts running to the station. I tell my friends "Let's get out of here NOW" they jump into my convertible and off we go. About a mile or so down the road, major highway, hide the car in a parking lot and call my friend. Tell him what just happened. He then called his insurance agent (when they cared) and later that afternoon the agent, the adjuster and my friend went to have a nice conversation with the station owner about the now missing wheels and tires and his worker's offer to sell the engine and transmission together with him preparing to file a garagekeeper's lien without notifying the registered owner.

No word if the pump boy still had a job though.....

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^How bazar, how bazar

GordonC and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. trollst

trollst

Read all of this, lots of good info, but old car bodies are for sale everywhere, when was the last time you checked to see if it was stolen? Its a dangerous thing to threaten somebody who has legitimately bought a body and not know the history, I'm sure it has happened right here on the hamb, look at the threads of guys who rescue a body from the desert, the forest, a creekbed or a mountain top. Imagine somebody "seeing" your body in your shop and the law coming by to ask you to give it up? I'm sympathetic to the op, but the only way out of this is to mark the parts so they can be identified.

8. This is what I got from the latest post....
    They asked me...... He said....The guy told me...They called me.....Something under a tarp.....Detective is stupid......Cops are lazy......

9. May be a reading comprehension problem, wasn’t hard to follow....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6inarow likes this.
  10. greener200

greener200

My problem is ,I got halfway thru page two before I realized I was reading a thread FROM 2008 ! ,,nobody got shot/beat-up ,,And she didn't get her car back ,,,Geeze !

pat59, 6inarow and BigDogSS like this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

So the alleged perp said he had the stolen one? Or was he saying he paid 5k for the Anglia?

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

There is no VIN number on a model A Body, so actually proving it was the same body that was stolen enough to satisfy the authorities would be difficult wouldn’t it?

saltracer219 likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

To bad you didn’t get a chance TO GO SMASH IT! Fricking thieves and fricking asshats that buy stolen stuff. You buy hot sh#t you are as bad as a thief.

14. 5window

5window

Bizarre=rare, unusual or odd

Bazaar= a market in a Middle Easter country.

:)

15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Unless you specifically listed details of the body in the original theft report I don't think you have much of a chance getting it back. Trying to tell the cops now the details on the body is useless. Good luck.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's Bizarre? Located in Verviers Belgium. I know because I've been.
    [​IMG]
    Note, this is pre-fire. A new one stands today.

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These threads are always the same. Someone loses a car, trailer, boat, etc. and has no paperwork, insurance or ID numbers. So then it becomes a police bashing thread because the "victim" is not smart enough to properly secure the property, have it insured, or document ownership, or have any pictures. Yep, stupid worthless cops.

Next-the stolen vehicle was past the 3 year statute of limitations in most states. That means there can be no successful prosecution. Again, stupid worthless cops not doing their jobs.

And, finally, a whole bunch of key board tough guys suggest burglary, assault, big guys, ball bats, etc., are needed because the stupid cops are stupid and won't do their jobs. Then it is suggested that the victims start at "the top and not let up" to get some action.

The short version is that the police cannot do anything in this situation. If the property was insured it now belongs to the insurance company not the original "victim". Yet, the cops are the stupid ones?

Russco, saltracer219 and 5window like this.
  18. saltracer219

saltracer219

Not to mention that if the property owner doesn't volunteer to lift that tarp, you would need a search warrant to look under it!

19. Some Model A's had body tags with a serial number from the company that built the body if it was other than Ford. Coupes were built by Ford and didn't have a body tag. If there was a lot of unfinished body and paint work that formed a unique pattern it might be possible to identify it from the pattern if it hadn't been changed of painted over. If it was a car that I had there would be my driver's license engraved in a lot of normally inacessable locations. In the OP's case I think he is just out of luck.

Charlie Stephens

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

police do not care about stolen cars or parts. my friend had a 69 Chevelle stolen 20 years ago. just driving around town he saw it in the parking lot of an apartment building. he called the cops and they did absolutely nothing. we had to go get it ourselves. cops would have come running if we got murdered in the process. they just don't give a shit about property crimes.

21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something tells me that there is way more to this story.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no actually there isn't. when I found my stolen car at least they came out and filled out a report so I would not get pulled over for driving my own stolen car.