Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A little ford Flathead help to get it to fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Blake84

Blake84

Just got a 1952 Ford pickup in from Canada and I'm trying to get it to fire. It sat for a long time but the guy selling said he drove it around his yard last week.

I replaced all fluids and spark plugs. The engine is currently on a 6v original everything. I got the engine to turn over with the starter just fine. I pulled the plugs and made sure they are receiving a spark which they are. As far as fuel I replaced the fuel pump but I have not checked inside of the tank yet. I was trying to get it to fire with starter fluid and pouring a little gas into the carb. I got nothing......I couldn't get it to fire. I was told the carb was rebuilt and it looks newer but I'm trying to think what I'm missing. I have spark, compression and I thought fuel from gas in carb and starter fluid but I'm guessing not.

I just installed a new fuel pump completely empty into my gasoline container and I couldn't get it to suck up fuel to fill the glass bowl which is why I went with starter fluid and gas into the carb. It was getting late and I just waNted it to fire.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

I would start with a compression check, sometime the valves will stick open, on flatheads that sit for a long time.

flatford39 and F&J like this.
  3. I'd check the firing order if it's getting fuel and spark. Check for condensation inside distributor cap. Check that points are clean and condenser is good. The vacuum diaphragm has to have it's line connected to the port on the carb, if there is no port for the vacuum line then the carb is wrong. That vacuum diaphragm is the only means the engine has to control timing. Then if that checks out ok then check that the distributor is not 180 out. The "ran last week claim" is likely a lie.

4. F&J

F&J

I totally agree on post #2 to thumb test compression first.

I see you have other vintage trucks so you are no dummy.. I ran into the same thing two weeks ago with a 6v car. It ran OK months before, but it always sounded a bit retarded on timing..but always started, always idled ok.

I get the battery in after it sat 6 months indoors, and it started ok, but was running worse and worse, just getting it outside and moved. Then it died. I've worked on old stuff for 50 years, so I first filed the points...then checked spark at the coil wire, looked ok...still not even one pop. I then pulled all the plugs, then hooked up the plug wires to watch each one fire. Still looked ok for a 6v.

Well, I was getting nowhere, so I have no idea why, except out of ideas.....but I set a used coil up on it, and it fired right up and runs mint. I have never seen this before.

Also, If you look at the fan belt grooves on the pulleys, you might be able to tell if it had not run in a LONG time.

5. I see the vac line to the carb but hard to see where it starts.

6. Blake84

Blake84

I removed and plugged it because it was to the wipers

7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

It fires , but at the right time? If it don't belch or fart the timing ain't close