Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 0816181019b.jpg 0816181016.jpg 0816181015b.jpg 0816181014e.jpg 0814180822.jpg 0809181237a.jpg 0810181028.jpg 0815181810.jpg Offical report.
    We had many obsticals to overcome before we could pass tech . one with seat belt location on the drivers sholder. We had to modify the seat. Then getting ready for the 1st pass the fire suppression system just decided to discharg when I pulled the arming pin. Next we got in line ready to go and the starter asked where was our inspection sticker I had to go get that, then we were ready to run.
    We got in one shakedown run, shut down early than checked out the truck. From then on we improved with every pass with our final pass at 116.696. We had made changes in gearing for Thursdays run but found # 4 cylinder pumping oil smoke when we warmed the engine and had to abort the last pass. I had pulled out all the stops for that last pass and was pretty sure we would run over 125 on the 3 mile course.
    Wouda couda shuda lol we will never know. We accomplished a lot learned a lot built great friendships and just had a great time.
    We will go home with our spirits held high, re evaluate everything we learned, make changes and be back in 2019.

2. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

What a great story, in spite of the issues! You did something only some of us can dream of, and I salute you for that. May 2019 see you improve!!!! And thanks again for sharing.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@john mullen...the spirit from this end is just as elevated as it is on your end...proud of you and your teams charge towards that dream and goal to edge excellence just a little higher where others goals and dreams have been formerly realized.

It's a challenge, it was exciting to tag along, support your quest and that support remains.

The fact you had a number of additional Hamber's on their own quests to realize their own dreams in other categories just made this whole adventure that much more exciting from this vantage point.

Certainly look forward to the rise to the next adventure which I know has already started. Great job All.

It's a powerful drug Land Speed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. loudbang

loudbang

I tuned up your photos so one can see your smiling faces in more true to area light. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

5. Thanks loudbang they look Awsome..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

One more from bangshift that looks like the last of their coverage

11.JPG

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice shot.
    On the hood where it says

262 CU IN / ??? HP

I think it should read

262 CU IN / ???? HP

8. Some photos sent to me taken by Paul Honeycutt .. Thanks Paul DSC_1027.jpg DSC_1021.jpg DSC_1017.jpg DSC_1014.jpg DSC_1008.jpg DSC_1000.jpg

9. At last report there have been 77,000+ views on the social pages of the H.A.M.B .from all over the world. Not to mention all the magazine coverage and unknown sources out there.
    Lots of things happening for the Virginia H.A.MB. Special in the future. Upcoming artical in the Rodders Journal. Keep an eye out for that. Lots of press for our sponsors as well. That never hurts !
    I'll be pulling the engine in a couple weeks and report on what caused the #4 cylenders oil control problem and a good look at everything else inside.
    Changes for next year will be minimal. Mostly switching out the power glide for a turbo 350 3 speed with lock up converter. And advancing the cam 4 Deg. Pulling the power band down a few hundred RPMs . other than that we are very close to what is needed to qualify for the 131.5 existing record.
    I feel we had plenty of power to get the jobs done just didn't have the combo just right. All in all we gained the data needed to move forward with our goal and look forward to the 2019 speed week challenge ...
    Just want to say thanks to everyone who has had anything to do with this project and assure you that it could not have happened with out your support.
    A reminder ... This amazing story belongs to all of us who followed it, supported it, put our hearts into it and made it happen. For this I am eternally grateful. I am at awe and appreciate all the friendships I have found throughout this journey.
    Thank you all ... John 0208171703.jpg

10. Don't forget the 3.50 to 3.73 gear change John. :)

11. oh yeah that too, We already have the 375 gear in the truck, lol that's one job taken care of...

12. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

It was great following the build, and your first trip to Bonneville, great job by you and your fellow crew members.
    With out a good supporting group, there would be very few records set at Bonneville. I hope that everyone had a great time. Looking forward to see the changes that you make.

D-Russ, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Your effort for an attempt at a record is remarkable. Hats off.
    Well be waiting for engine reports, hope they are good. :)

D-Russ, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Well said Sir. :)

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and SquintBoy like this.
  15. Here's a little photo and video compilation of our Speed Week adventure put together by @ClutchDumpinDan :

16. update!!, sorry guys I haven't pulled the engine yet. it seems something is always getting in the way. first more brake problems with the tow truck, then the storms that took out my driveways on two property's, then the lawn mower took a s)$@% then I had un expected company for a week. next week looks good to start so far. I'll keep you posted.... sorry for the delay, at least I have until the E.C.T.A meet in early summer 2019 to be ready to go.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ole Mother Nature...and Life...what a Team Eh...o_O...good to hear from you...;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. I finally got some time in on the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special today.. front clip off, drive shaft pulled, cross member out,
    wiring undone, water and oil drained.. engine should be out by Monday if all goes well.
    thanks for hanging in there with me. I really needed that break..

19. After pulling the headers and the intake I looked into all the ports looking for signs of reversion and found none, however looking into the #4 cylinder intake port I found a pool of oil on top of the intake valve. I can't tell just where it is coming from until I pull the head and remove the valve. I'm Hopeing it's just the valve seal but can't tell just yet.

20. Didn't find anything wrong up top. Pulling the head tommoro 1101181528.jpg 1101181528.jpg 1101181527a.jpg 1101181527.jpg 1101181528.jpg 1101181527c.jpg 1101181527b.jpg &

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evidence of being at Bonneville is apparent on the suspension and engine. This should be an eye opener too all who have it on their bucket list. Just think of all the aluminum on your pickup that actually spends more time on the salt than the race vehicle... Then think about the underside of your trailer and its electric brakes. After 40+ years of being a salt addict and all the precautions this is the one thing that's unstoppable and this was a very, very dry year.
    Good luck with your repairs wire brushing, and rust converter. JD

22. Pulled the head to find damage to #4 cylinder rings. Oil everywhere.
    I also see where something hard went into #2 cylinder peppering the piston top and then spit it back into the intake only to find its way into #1 cylinder lodging under the exhaust valve just enough to hold it open and kissing the piston twerking the valve.
    All in all not too bad but a costly repair to replace 1 titanium exhaust valve and possibly 2 custom made pistons, rings, bearings, ECT 1102181101c.jpg 1102181101a.jpg 1102181100f.jpg 1102181100.jpg 1102181101.jpg

Attached Files:

23. I hit the like button, but in the most positive way! Better to find something, than nothing!

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no question ceasing operations at the Flats was the right thing to do...that could have evolved into even bigger problems.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess you studied the carbon pattern on the piston and the cylinder head.
    I would like to see a picture of some of the cylinders that were hitting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's expensive damage, quite true, ut at least it's not that scarce as hen's teeth block, crank, or that head with all the work in it.

27. I pulled the pistons out today and to my surprise no rings were broken, some very light signs of piston scuff on the thrust side of the piston skirts but all look very well, Cylinder bores look great, bearing look like they were out of the box.. So I am back to the head looking for where the oil is coming from. I broke it down checked every valve seal valve stem valve guide and no sign of a problem. so now its into the hot tank for a deep cleaning and we will pull a vacuum test and magna flux test for hidden cracks or leaks. I must say I am stumped as to where the oil is coming from on #4. but rest assured I will find out once the head is cleaned