Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford C6 problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

E499FD59-5450-4F72-8C12-194EE78BDA2E.jpeg Hey guys, had to trailer home my beater today. Lost all gears till I got home... all of a sudden I had (reverse) and (drive) to get it off the trailer. Then lost gears again soon as I took it down the street real quick. Almost acts like I’m low on fluid. Has anyone out there ever experience this? Also... shutters, feels like a trans lock till you get it going. Fluid is full, red in color, and not burned. But does have small black dots in it... looks like pepper kinda. I’m thinking it’s the torque converter from reading online. It’s a Ford C6/390. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I suspect that the 'pepper' you see is probably bits of band material....

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Try changing the fluid and filter.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Filter is cheap... might try that first.

5. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

Ford cars or trucks that aren't driven a lot, the trans pump seal gets hard, and lets the fluid leak past the converter Only way to fix is a rebuild.

WDobos likes this.
  6. Since you said "Trailer it Home" I assume you had just driven it a fair distance as in Normal then while moving you lost forward motion. Drain the pan into something clean and drop the pan and check the sediment in the pan. Clean that all out and Change the filter and refill with the Old fluid. If it isn't terminal you'll get some more miles out of it but not a lot. Find a good shop. If you haven't had any issues till now it's just a ware issue that finally plugged the filter enough to loose fluid feed and pressure.
    The Wizzard

czuch likes this.
  7. deucemac

deucemac

The low/reverse clutch is used in low and reverse engagement. I would figure something in the clutch or valve body circuit is to blame. Very simple trans and very reliable. Loved working on them.

8. morac41

morac41

Had the selector arm jump of the valve body once....park pawl was stuck with load against it..you will have to drop the pan off to fix it..

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Id almost say that if you had the wrong dipstick in there, it could be a quart low and it would act this way. But I almost think there is a check ball in the valvebody thats hung with some junk maybe, give it a fresh filter to make sure its getting pressure and fluid running well through it. c6 is a hard trans to kill unless its ran low on fluid or overheated. I do agree the pepper is probably band material. While you got the pan off, check the bands.

10. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

A28CD67E-E787-4890-8963-B41D4F24227E.jpeg Filter was totally clogged with sludge and debris. Wasn’t metal... not sure what it is. Bands looked good from what I could see. Surprisingly look brand new inside. Thinking fluid has never beeen changed since 1971. Cleaned everything and putting a new filter in tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

saltflats and harpo1313 like this.
  11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

It could either thank you or spank you ,good luck.

saltflats likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you get a picture of the bottom of the pan for us?

13. Hay, what do ya know. The filter was doing it's job. If your going to re use the fluid be sure to put a Paint strainer in the Funnel to pour the fluid through. I'll bet you'll get a few more Miles out of her.

The Wizzard

14. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

From my experience [used to own a trans shop etc] C6s and C4s
    do not show a lot of debris in the pan if they die of friction
    material failure. If you are comfortable dropping the valve body,
    do it or at least lower it a bit by loosening bolts so that the converter
    drains a bit. Then when you refill the trans, dump it all in. Let the
    fluid sit before you start the engine until you get a definite level
    reading, which should be well above the full mark. THEN start it
    up and run through the gears and get another dipstick reading. It
    should be a LOT lower, maybe even off the stick. That tells you the
    pump is working. When they die they almost never make a noise,
    giving no clue.

15. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thanks for the advice. Did just that... pump is working. Shifts good... but still doesn’t feel right. Feels like I’m pulling a trailer or like if I had a wheel locking up. But throw it in neutral And it rolls fine. Could that be the converter?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

May be a clutch pack with a few friction disc welded to the steels.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may have trash in the valve body, applying pressure to a clutch pack and the band at the same time. You can pull it out, disassemble it and make sure all is well there. Sometimes the seperator plate gasket will blow out causing problems, might get an argument here, but I put mine back together without it.

18. No

19. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Trans is good... lack of power ended up being an inner piece of the muffler had rotted and fallen off blocking the exhaust. That’s why it idled fine but lost power driving. Easy fix.