Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think that's one reason you see more tri-5 Chevys than Fords, the Fords had a serious rust problem. All the big three had their problems with rust back then, but Ford and Chrysler seemed to be worse than GM. Fords rust problems continued into the late 70's when they started using more galvanized steel. They don't call those pony cars "Ruststangs" for nothing.....

chryslerfan55 and Duellym like this.
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Chevy shoulda done something like that.
    (These are actually 2 door hardtops with photoshop door lines changed basicly)
    It could be done with 56/57 4 door hardtop doors etc.

upload_2018-10-28_10-9-48.jpeg sketch 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

What's to say other than, "nice trailer"
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

I agree, I think the late fifties mopars look good, but I like weird shit! I also have an OT four door I drive daily in the summer, at least they both have big blocks in them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Squablow and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. BJR

BJR

Both could have been fixed! :D

Saxman, blowby and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. cjtwigt

cjtwigt

I think 4-doors are more special than coupes. Mainly because there are so many coupes it is refreshing to see a 4-door.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordor Ron likes this.
  7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The trailer definitely cost more than the car!

8. My father has the 2dr version of the vehicle on the trailer. Exact same color scheme too. IMG_0323.JPG

Squablow likes this.
  9. Beautiful car, this was my dads dream car, in ‘59 he bought a new dodge but couldn’t afford the custom royal, unfortunately he never did get his dream car. This one will be in his memory, I saved it from a field a couple years ago, it now sits inside my shop awaiting its turn.

low budget likes this.
  10. oldscot3

oldscot3

My high school car was a `56 chevy Bel air 4 dr hardtop. I liked it then and like it now, but in my mind it's a cruiser not a hot rod. Four door cars are like gals wearing fashionable clothes, some can pull off a certain look better than others.

11. robber

robber

..."Cruiser"... :)
    cp 877.JPG

12. I also have a ‘59 Dodge Regent, it was supposed to be a parts car for the Custom Royal but is to nice to part out, I would like to do it as a mild custom.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. oldscot3

oldscot3

ooh la la robber... nice pic!

I have one out at the ranch, sitting ... wish I had the coin to build it. Someday maybe.

robber likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Maybe when I get my chauffeur.

[​IMG]

15. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I remember a few years ago there was an article in one of the Mopar magazines where they turned a 4 door 62 plymouth into a 2 door using a pair of 2 door doors and modifying the quarters. Looked good.

16. I’d like to see more of this one. I wouldn’t like this car any more if it was a 2 door.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and robber like this.
  17. In the late 50s and early to mid 60s if seen in a fordor or station wagon it was Mommy's or Daddy's car. I still kind of see it that way.

Sum54ford likes this.
  18. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Seems like the older I get the more acceptable 4 doors become.

20. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I've never had a dislike for 4-doors. My first car when I was 16 was a 4 door 1948 Plymouth. And it was a sister to the Plymouth I have now...suicide doors and all!!

21. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

Where are the wings?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

No.... Some look good....Most don't.
    The cheap 4 dr is just a gateway drug to the hard stuff.

23. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

No. Still two doors two many....

24. Although I preferred 2 doors in my younger day's, I never really disliked them. Several friends, back in high school, had nice looking 4 doors and I've owned a few over the years. The older that I get, the more I appreciate them! Just picked up this beauty a few weeks ago...
    2.jpg

Latigo, Slopok, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  25. The Mullet

The Mullet

Picked up this '55 Star Chief and I love it. I haven't started working on it yet but I'm excited. I've never seen one down here in South Florida. 14366.jpeg

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  27. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hahahha, ya, me too. '50 Stude Champs. Need appreciative new owners (millennials, here's your opportunity?), good price, too. :D . Just don't have enough time for all the cars/trucks anymore.
    Marcus...

Bearcat_V8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I like the 2 doors but a wagon with 4 doors is alright by me.
    <It's all fun and games until you have kids >

egads likes this.
  30. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 1st car I ever drove was dad's 4 door Olds. The 394 was a pretty hot motor for a 16 year old. I caught a lot of flack from some friends that were driving 2 door cars, but it didn't take long for them to change their tune when their 2 door couldn't keep up with the 4 door Olds with 4 kids in it.
    The first car I bought was a 2 door Buick. It looked great, but was a POS. I discovered a cheap 4 door sedan was a great alternative to the always broke 2 door Buick. I also discovered why they were so cheap, no one wanted them unless they had small kids. I also discovered it was a lot easier to find a 4 door car in really good shape. For many years, I had a sporty 2 door to have fun with and a cheap 4 door to chase down parts for the 2 door and to get to work with. I really understood the usefulness of the 4 doors when we had little kids.
    I also knew that if I had a desire to build something, it had to be a 2 door because you would never get your money back out of a 4 door. The only way a 4 door was worth any money was if it had the right combination of parts, and then you needed to pull them off to sell them. That said, in the 42 years I've been married, we have always had at least one 4 door car around here. Usually, when I was looking to buy a car I really liked, it was always a 2 door car, 4 door cars were bought on their condition and parts content. I don't have a problem with nice looking 4 door cars, I've had many myself, and I fully understand peoples reasons for buying them.
    For the last 15-20 years, there have not been many cars that have appealed to me at all. We bought a nearly new 4 door car 14 years ago because my wife needed it, but lately most of the things that have been of interest to me have been trucks, and they are all 2 door trucks, but one is an extended cab. The 4 door (crew cab) trucks just don't do much for me, the verdict is still out on the extended cab trucks with the 1/2 suicide doors. Gene