Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge Hemi x pertz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRENDZ, Oct 26, 2018.

1. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

I have a basket case 241 Dodge Hemi that Im planning on going wild with. This thing has been through many owners and has been moved several times and parts are everywhere. Anyway, going through boxes and crates, I found the cam/ lifters. This thing is a roller cam with really strange two piece lifters. I also found the rocker assemblies. They are the adjustable style rockers. I do have the dimple valve covers also. It also has an alumnum finned timing cover with a magneto drive off of the cam.
    Im going to do a partial assembly of the engine to try to reverse engineer the cam specs. I am putting a blower on this engine. I would like to try to squeeze some power out of this little thing. Measuring the lobe base circle/ ramp apex is only .277” lift. A rough visual of the rockers looks to be about a 1.5 rocker ratio. That comes out to just over .41 lift. Does anyone regrind these with some lobes that will open this sucker up and let it breathe???

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Early Dodge heads won't support a lot of valve lift without longer valves and custom rocker stands.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Any info on how far you can go on these? I get the fact that there is only so much room to work with. I can see that a longer valve would move the valve tip higher and away from the rocker stand.
    More just wondering what has been done to get away with as much as possible.

4. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Not always true, I found a work around.

I have a Head CNC Package I've worked hard on the last few months. It will wake up this little Dodges like never seen before. Modern valvetrain that still works with stock rockers. Cam cores are harder to get ahold of (roller cores). Your cam would be better to sell off and start over. I'm working with Donnie Johansen to supply me with raw cam cores right now.

20181026_010034.jpg
    IMG_20181026_012519_004.jpg
    IMG_20180922_140447_430.jpg
    Also working on a proper blower manifold to feed these properly.

5. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

This setup is headed off to Gene Adams for one our customers. 320ci build using a 270 block, 315 crank, SBC Rods, and a big hydraulic roller cam. The intake is a one off, may build others down the road but they aren't cheap.

CudaChick1968, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

So... P7 stuff there???
    What kind of flow numbers are you getting out of your program? Looks like you may be my new hero.

7. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Is there a specific casting number that your program targets?

8. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I will not say what I used for an intake. Spent far too much time and money to figure it out on my own. I will gladly build another once everything gets dialed in on it and I have dyno results from it. Probably a $2000 ballpark for a ported intake made to work, just depends on my time invested porting it.

I have 3 CNC Programs for the Dodge heads. The D-500 #049 casting and my Race Port Program flows 295-300 cfm with a 1.940 valve. The other CNC Programs are typically in the 280cfm range with a 1.900 valve. It is all packaged very well together and stock rockers can be reused, the rocker geometry was barely altered. With the stock rocker ratio and the lobes I can get put on these roller cams .600-.650 lift can be achieved. Much more than that Missile Rockers are required. I worked with Steve to get them made for another customer and his Bonneville effort. That effort will be .800+ lift with the Missile Rockers.

9. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Wow. Nice work. What are you expecting for rpm capability?
    My target hp goal is 550. Do you feel a 260” version with a 1:1 6-71 would be capable of that goal on e85?

loudbang likes this.
  10. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

It could be capable of doing that. I have to build a blower manifold for a 4-71 on a 270 for another customer. He previously made 500 hp with in it's present form. With the updates we are doing I'd like to see a solid 100-150hp gain on his. Charley Markley has made far more power in his Belly Tanker. The big issue is strengthening the bottom end. I'm working on making splayed caps for one I have here to see how it holds up. Charley sent me pictures of his setup, work of art to put it simply. A bedplate would be the ultimate piece.

What application are you building this for?

11. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

The block I have here has 4 billet 2 bolt caps, but I also was planing on building a complete bed plate instead.
    I want to put together a drag car for local events. Also would like to do drag week.
    I have a certain reputation to keep here in my hometown.. I’ve owned some fast stuff but it was all modern tech stuff. Used to drive my 8 second car to work when the weather allowed. Can’t have something that’s not above and beyond.
    If you’re not to busy, Id be curious on what it would do to my wallet to have you ... have a go at some heads. PM me

loudbang likes this.
  12. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

PM Sent TRENDZ.

loudbang likes this.
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Hope this thread doesn't get hidden on the dark side of the web where we won't see or hear of any updates with pic's, especially about the blower manifold.................................................................

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  14. wow....it was sounding like one of my ex old ladies....but will hang on for awhile.......

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Trenz, If you put a blower on it your lower lift cam and head work is not as critical. Turn up the boost!

Hollywood-East, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  16. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Boost alone is definitely a big plus, but I am also concerned about valve trane stability and efficiency at higher rpm. Hoping to reliably spin this thing in the 6500rpm range.
    This will be a front mount (potvin style) direct drive 6-71. On a 260” engine, at a 1:1 drive ratio (can’t change the drive ratio) it should make in the range of 22-26 pounds of boost. I don’t feel that the stuff I have here is up to the task in the current configuration.

loudbang likes this.
  17. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Ha ha!!!
    Yes, sounds bad. But my friends are rough! If I end up building a a slow p.o.s. All I will hear is non stop “ oh yeah... THAT was a good idea!”

loudbang likes this.
  18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

With that much boost, your concern should be the lower end, not the valve train. no need to spin to 6500rpm.

Hombre, TRENDZ and loudbang like this.
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

DSCF9327.JPG I would be interested in any updates as for as heads, cams, intakes, etc. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  20. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

The lower end I have confidence in. As mentioned, it will have a full bed plate structure. I have a set of Lentz billet rods, and it will have a short/light weight pistons.
    My biggest concern is the cylinder walls. Not sure what they will take. Most likely will do a short fill to the block.
    Most of the durability with boost comes from the tune up... Im pretty good in that department.

loudbang likes this.
  21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The cylinder walls on a 240 Dodge are thick, They bored them out to make 270. If in doubt sleeve them.

loudbang likes this.
  22. You guys have my attention now. My project is coming up for paint real soon. I'm pretty sure one Carb isn't going to be enough once I get the bugs worked out. Think I'll follow along. I'm pretty sure there's room for a 4-71 under the hood.
    The Wizzard
    20180925_094420.jpg P.S. don't beat on me for the Tires and Wheels, they arn't staying.

23. Nothing wrong with the wheels

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Thanks 57 Fargo, but I think the first generation American Torque Thrust 5 spokes will have a better visual effect. I might add the Motor has been run in and tuned a bit prior to Body work. I had a Big Ol Smile on my face that day. This Photo shows one of the Masters from the early days operating the screw driver on the motor that he "Earl Floyd" and close friend Jim Albrich built together for me.
    They promised me it would have plenty of Snort to haul the Truck around.
    53 F-100  3-19-10 006.jpg The Wizzard

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  25. Can’t go wrong with torque thrusts either, I’m currently trying to find a set of cragar ss for my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hombre, classiccarjack and loudbang like this.
  26. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

The wheel and tires arnt bad but are you keeping the clip job

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  27. It's near ready for Paint. Motor is in, has Exhaust and runs. We can't talk about the Clip or this post will get closed (plus it's not my post). Here's a hint. I plan to drive it like it should Run and Drive. If I don't like how it Runs and Drives I'm contacting 402BOSSMAN not braking out the Torch.
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.
  28. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

So, what head gasket are you supercharged guys running? I assume copper/rings is my only option. They aren’t making mls gaskets for these engines are they?

loudbang likes this.
  29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Have you met Brian Pusey from San Diego? He drives a 1950 Plymouth Bonneville car utilizing a beefed up Red Ram Hemi...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app