Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Pontiac Power Steering Pully Deminsions Needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gnico, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Gnico

Gnico

As I am having trouble sourcing a cast iron power steering pulley for my 57 Chieftain, I am looking at alternatives that may work. Can anyone here tell me the face width of the stock cast iron pulley, the depth from rear face to the front mounting surface. Has anyone found a similar cast pulley that will work?

2. Gnico

Gnico

Here are a couple of pics of the pulley I am interested in for dimensions.
    I believe the first image may not be a stock pulley for that year but the second image is.

57 Pontiac Pulley.jpg 57 power steering pump 1.jpg

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would check on Pontiac Performance Years...

4. Gnico

Gnico

Lots of stuff there but no pulleys. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. According to my Ames Performance catalog. The earliest one they have in OEM steel is 1965 @ $69.00. The earliest they have in billet aluminum is 1964 @ $210.00. They buy used Pontiacs as well, so you might want to give them a call to see if they have an original pulley off one of them at 1-800-421-2637. At the very worst, they likely can give you the dimensions you're looking for or maybe a cross reference. They're located on the East Coast, New Hampshire, I think.

The earliest Classic Industries has is 1960-75. They show it as being 5.75" diam.

You might want to check California Pontiac Parts as they are experienced Pontiac people. If they don't have one, they probably can give you the details you seek or maybe where you can find one. 1-877-504-8124 or [email protected]. They're located in Santa Ana, CA.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I believe Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac all used the same power steering pumps in the 50's.
    As such you can probably source a pulley from any of those makes.
    KK

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. Gnico

Gnico

Thanks I will give them a call on Monday.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Gnico

Gnico

Although all the pumps are the same the pulleys are not. I have no doubt that some may work but I have a 57 Caddy pump now and the pulley off set is to deep for my Pontiac. Some of the pumps also have 3/4 shafts the Pontiacs had a 5/8 shaft.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. Gnico

Gnico

I tried Franks with no luck. I will look into Pontiac Haven

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  12. Gnico

Gnico

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I doubt that pulley is for and A/C compressor, they have clutches on them. It appears to me to be for a P/S pump but FOR and A/C car, which may have a different offset. It may be helpful to ask for dimensions from that pulley just for comparison's sake.

14. Gnico

Gnico

You are correct on that being from a AC car I did miss state it as a AC pulley. I did contact the owner of that pulley who runs a large yard in Arizona and he confirmed that it would not work for my application. I have talked to at least a half dozen of those types of yards and most have no stock of PS parts that will work on a 57 Pontiac or they have complete sets of all parts and are unwilling to separate them.

15. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

Try Dave Reinhold at 618-284-3465 He's a old Pontiac friend.

16. Gnico

Gnico

Thanks, I will try and contact him later today.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Seller has other Pontiac stuff "if" you would have read further. Need only to contact him with request's.

18. Gnico

Gnico

I did contact him and as I stated above and he doesn't have any other pulleys for my application or individual parts for that matter.