Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone install a Ford FE engine in a 35-40 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I'm planning out the build of my 35 Ford 5W coupe. Want to a 50's style build. Have a very nice stroked FE/C6 combo I'd like to use as the FE was an available engine in 1958. My firewall has a 4" setback. I'm willing move it back a couple more if needed. Frame has MII front suspension. My concern is that it clear the hood sides. Pics would be great. I figure if a BBC can fit an FE should.
    Thanks
    Leon used-1935-ford-5_window-projectcar-8031-16836736-9-1024.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warhorseracing likes this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gee Whiz! :( Seems to me that putting an FE engine into a 40 Ford is
    the wrong move. But, I guess the "Ford in a Ford" folks will like it.

Boneyard51 and thirtytwo like this.
  3. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

What would you have him put in, a small block chevy?

I don’t see why the FE wouldn’t fit, but you may end up needing to be a bit careful with exhaust routing when it comes time for the front end sheet metal. Could always preempt issues and make a cool factor by running out the side like an Auburn boattail or something. That would look pretty badass to me on that car

4. Deuces

Deuces

664923_3725571471901_329421449_o.jpg Put a sock in it!.... ;):)

5. joee

joee

I put fe in a 35 and don't remember any big problems.....there's all kinds of headers and exhaust manifolds for them

Boneyard51 and Do it Over like this.
  6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

In the 60s Jimmie don Bostic ,of Ceres ca had a 427 425 horse in his 36 3 window. I had a 63 1/2 427 car at the time.

Boneyard51, Do it Over and Deuces like this.
  7. I like where you are going! I love FE's in almost anything.
    Biggest challenge I see is the M2 X member and the front sump pan may not get along.......may require more setback. But that will help side clearance.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Might use a Four wheel drive rear sump pan, will give somewhat more clearance. Still will have the front oil pump. Could help.
    I'm fond of FEs also.

Bones

Do it Over and anthony myrick like this.
  9. flatjack

flatjack

There is a guy around here who has an FE in a 38 Ford pickup. I think clearances would be similar.

Do it Over likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I don’t for see any issues . FE s have been factory installed in many a tight spot . There are many variations of exhaust header / manifold whichever you choose . The oil pan is going to be your biggest hill to climb . Don’t give up there are few different ways to skin a cat . Every FE I ever owned was near Diesel in torque and you could not make it over heat .

11. I'd like to know why that would be a wrong move. I'm partial to Ford FEs though, I might be biased. ;) I have considered an FE for power in a 50 Ford Tudor, not a common choice. I sometimes march only to the beat of my own drum though.

Do it Over, I say if you're moved in that direction, go for it. You'll be one of a few without a cookie cutter power train.

12. If the FE would fit in a '50 I would do it as well. I measured mine and it would require at least 2-3 inches more room than is there. Even with the 6-cylinder radiator which is further forward in the first place.

Do it Over likes this.
  13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

14. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front oil pan sump is the biggest issue with many Fords. I'm using an early '60s FE/FT truck pan and pickup on my '40 coupe/FE with enough clearance for a deeper 428 C J pump. The M2 cross member also allows slightly more room versus the stock '40, resulting in the lowest engine profile without severe engine setback.
    I wanted to retain as much foot room as possible, so my firewall recess is about 4" like yours, but is wider to allow room for the heads/valve covers. The new firewall insert is basically big block width and small block depth. Hood clearance is not an issue, but (no) room for a mechanical fan is.
    I'm using front mounts from Chassis Engineering Inc. including their tube cross member and block mounts along with Ford style "biscuits". Headers are center dump Sanderson and fit really well, just don't have any good pictures at this time.
    Below is an early construction front shot that may be helpful. No, the frame is now satin black. :eek: That yellow was zinc chromate I had laying around many years ago!

upload_2018-10-29_9-18-16.jpeg
    Below shows the pan to cross member/rack location.
    upload_2018-10-29_9-30-4.jpeg

In addition, a remote oil filter will be required, as wood remover and pkhammer stated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    RMR&C, Do it Over, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  15. Well, in the '50s if you were looking for big inches, you'd be more likely to select a Buick, Olds, or Caddy. I'm not saying the FE was unknown, just uncommon; same goes for the Chevy 'W' motor as these were still pretty new. But the FE is comparable in size to them (narrower than most), and lighter than all of them. And with good heads and enough inches, they do make power...

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Do it Over likes this.
  17. I had a 390 in my 34 chev.
    Used a 34 ford frame with m2 front end .
    Used rear sump pan , and had to relocate the oil filter , couldn't get a header or manifold , cast iron shorty header included to clear the steering or fit in the frame rails .Built headers to go outside the frame rail .
    Watch the oil.filter .only can be mounted straight down or straight out . noname.png

Deuces and Do it Over like this.
  18. pkhammer

pkhammer

IMG_2959 (1).JPG A Ford in a Chevy......I like it!!!
    I didn't have Mustang 2 suspension in my '42 but the installation did require a rear sump pan, custom headers, and a remote oil filter. No firewall mods. IMG_2959 (1).JPG

19. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Yup, I'm one of those Ford in a Ford guys. Not knocking any other brands. It's just what I like and I like to be different. I've got SBF, SBC and 351C and 429SCJ. If I had a Y-block I'd use that. A J3 Olds ? Yup. Early Caddy? Sure. I see so many SBC in Fords and for good reasons but IMO it diminishes the personality of a build to do what's easiest/common. For me the most enjoyment is in the actual do it yourself make it work build as that's how I increase as well as develop new skills.

WB69, Boneyard51, Clay Belt and 3 others like this.
  20. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

That's not a sock. It's the whole foot : D . If only.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Deuces and Clay Belt like this.
  21. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

It's a Kuntz & Kraft built 410 Fully build, balanced & ported. Trans is also fully pro built with 2800 converter. It was great in the 73 F350 Camper Special I took it out of. Its awesome in my 62 Thunderbird Convertible.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Take your time and hang with it . It is possible and well worth the effort when finished . Aluminum water pump and intake for sure , one thing I can tell you for sure will be when you light the wick , it will be a fun ride ! I did the same in my 32 , dare to be different Ford in a Ford . I first built my car with an LT1 Chebby , I was very sick with stage 4 cancer . I just wanted to take a ride before I could not . As I started to recover , I did what I always wanted to do Ford in my Ford . That was 25 years of cancer free cruising .

WB69, Boneyard51, williebill and 7 others like this.
  23. 34 chev was a project when I bought it with a 350 chev in it . It wasnt in my garage 15mins before I had it ripped out and sold !!!!!

24. Isnt there a old saying.. " That's what they make torches and welders for "

Get a pan from a 67-76 4X4 rear sump and shoe horn the sucker.

Even though I am a bow tie lover, putting in the FE GREAT CHOICE

But why are you tearing apart the 62 TBird?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

tbird 001.jpg tbird 004.jpg tbird 005.jpg 442 project 3282.jpg 442 project 1357.jpg
    I plan to sell/swap the Thunderbird and my 49 Panhead this spring. Not going to give away my beautiful beast of a drivetrain. it's a bit much for the Thunderbird. A stock smooth idling engine that burns regular fuel is what this car needs. tbird 001.jpg tbird 004.jpg tbird 005.jpg tbird 001.jpg tbird 004.jpg tbird 005.jpg tbird 001.jpg tbird 004.jpg tbird 005.jpg much for this style of car. mild 390 w/stock trans is a better fit. 442 project 2288.jpg 442 project 3282.jpg tbird 001.jpg

26. The 61-2 was always my fav birds...

That's a good looking ride

27. catdad49

catdad49

Those are Sweet Birds! Love the swing-away steering wheel.

28. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I love the style of the bird but it absolutely sucks to carry anything. There is no trunk room at all. I can't carry a chair or a cooler bigger than a six pack with the top down. I've got two granddaughters who love old cars but since a cruise to the beach or park means we can only take what fits in our pockets it has to go. I'm thinking 55-56 Mercury, 55-56 Ford Victoria, 55 or 57 Chevy hardtop or 49-51 Merc. Maybe a 60's Pontiac Grand Prix.

29. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

This is my 49 Harley I restored a few years ago to break the cycle on nothing but cars. My goal is to build my coupe in the same color theme (black, white and chrome).I may even learn to ride. Maybe. 20130421_163842.JPG

30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Don’t cash in your life insurance yet ! Sell me the Harley , use the money to buy hot rod stuff ! Just teasin , enjoy it and be safe .

Boneyard51 likes this.