Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest s the Go Fund Me account to bring Gene Winfield home leggit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okiedokie, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Glad to donate for sure. Met Gene several times at Hershey and Detroit

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. A bump for Mr. Winfield

3. Looking at the donations it is gratifying to see some high profile individuals in the automotive business, including Dave Kindig, Billy F. Gibbon and Jimmy Shine and a huge donation from Barry McGuire.:) HRP

Max Gearhead and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I had no idea you could see a list of donors. Good to see those guys on it.

Max Gearhead and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Pardon my curiosity, but any updates on Mr. Winfield’s status?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Here is a copy and paste from 5 day's ago per the net. > In September of 2018, Gene attended the Yankee Car Show in Lahti, Finland where he was chopping the top on a car live at the show. During the show he suffered a bad fall, breaking his hip. After surgery, he came down with pneumonia. Due to some pre-existing medical conditions, oxygen use, and the requirements of healing from the fall, Gene was not able to fly commercial after the accident, and he was stranded in Finland. After the accident, a GoFundMe campaign was launched in order to raise enough money to fly Gene safely back home. Created October 10, 2018, the goal of the campaign was $150,000 USD. October 12, two days later, $89,305 USD had already been donated by custom car fans and supporters. The same day the goal was reduced to $98,000 USD due to reduced transportation needs, and the goal was met later on the same day.Click here for more info on the GoFundMe campaign.[4]

pat59 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Wow, Im just seeing this for the first time. I'll head over there now and pitch in.

I've met Gene a few times.Had the honor of taking his class while he was in town. He always says he remembers me, I'm not sure if I believe that or not. The man meets probably 10s of thousands of people a year.

He truly is a great dude. Down to earth and genuine.

Truth is he probably broke his hip dancing with a dame haha

Surfcityrocker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Any update?

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 Blackie Gejeian Roast - Nov 3, 2012 204 (Small).jpg

10. One that has a medical team and the associated equipment on board. They posted the quotes online so unless they were going through an elaborate scheme to try an defraud people it was legit.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Son was flown from Durango to Denver on a med evac and insurance paid $28,000.

I see Gene is scheduled to appear at the SEMA show in two weeks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I don't see Gene often, but have known him for years. He always calls me by name...
    probably my handlebar moustache! (we had a gag going for 20 years or so, about which one of us had the youngest wife. Gene FINALLY won, but with 'a new one'. LOL)

13. SEMA starts Tuesday and he has just been released from the hospital in Finland. He won't be at SEMA.:rolleyes:

Edit: I originally put down he wasn't released I meant to type just released.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary they did revise the original cost of getting Gene back down to a lesser amount due to organizing another lesser expensive medical transport. Below is a grab of the Fund me page...I thought it was closed but they are still taking donations...The Fundraiser Johnny has not updated his message of 12 days ago.
    So yes I would as all of you like to know how Gene is doing.

Hopefully when Gene is feeling up to it he may chime in and give us an A'ok...all is good back to business...he has a lot of fans here

GW.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe this is anything but real...I will probably never meet Gene but it was a way of shaking his hand and I hope that happens someday...He had a pretty terrible thing happen at this age...that's a hurtin' video...get well soon Gene

Look forward to the updates...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  17. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looking around online for update I found info on a facebook account in Finland --- jenkkiautonayttely- etusiv|facebook (not exact since I cannot duplicate all) --- this was heading of thread --- sounds very recent & current pics & info --- says arrangements for gene to return home will be through Emergency Medical Assistance --- https:fi-fi.facebook.com/jenkkiautonayttely ---- I am not a facebook user but, part was in English --- a relative of my wife had a emergency medical condition while visiting Japan several years back - cost for medical services and special transportation back to California was at least $80,000 -- - none of this stuff is cheap, especially when it happens in another country

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

Who reading this knows Connie Kalitta and can make him aware of Genes problem. Over the years his flying service has aided injured racers needing to get home.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the Kustom Konstruction Zone group on FB there were photos showing that he was able to get out and move about a bit in Finland. A bit of a furlough from the hospital from the way I read it. He still isn't up to travel due to having had pneumonia along with the injuries.

21. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

B52C97E7-79F4-4C0B-B868-56573010E1BB.jpeg Gene is a real guy, and his predicament is real. I have met him and stayed at his place, he made my family feel welcome, and gave my grandkids some new Hot Wheel cars and signed them. Classy guy.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hey...that's the guy who hugged all over my wife at Detroit Autorama a few years back!! HAHA! Gene is a great guy. He'll get back soon.

23. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

Press Release from yesterday...

As we all know by now, Gene Winfield has been in a big hip surgery, from where his recovery is taking a long time. After the surgery, he got into a critical phase, that needed medical surveillance and it was a risk for flying, on whatever level of ambulance flight. This risk we did not want to, and did not take.

When released from the emergency hospital, Gene was moved to rehabilitation hospital. As the health got more stable, we have got the permission to take Gene out of hospital for planned visits as the visit to American Embassy and some car garages, in order to raise the spirit of healing, and for keeping Gene in Finland as long as possible that the healing process requires. As for all of us, his home, own work and projects under work are of high priority. We have been with Gene thru this healing process from morning till late night. The health treatment and service Gene has got in Finland has been of first class and it has been a successful cooperation, overall.

Gene has been released from rehabilitation hospital and has got permission to fly, from the doctors. He is still in need of the first class health care personal and service for the long flight. For this we have chosen the Emergency Medical Assistance to bring him safely home. Preparation works for this has now started.

LSJUNIPER, jim snow, Hombre and 12 others like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - please let us know of any updates

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Hollow Head...you fellas over there have done a Fantastic Heartfelt thing for Gene in this crisis...I'm glad to have been able to help out. Thanks for keeping us abreast of things.

chryslerfan55 and Max Gearhead like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That press release piece just showed up on my Facebook page. Good to see that he will be home soon. Gene in Hospital room..jpg

27. Indeed. Broken hip or not, I suspect he’ll be back building customs soon.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

A friend had a very serious snowmobile accident in Northern Wisconsin. His bill for the Medical Helicopter ride to Milwaukee was $72,000.00!
    Praying Gene has a speedy recovery!