Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need ideas for a hidden tailgate hinges...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fauj, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ok, best two out of three... I offended last time by not cropping out the OT wheels, so I fixed that...
    So the tailgate on my 1960 F100 was rotted out and I always thought the stock tailgate looked a little clunky... granted it was utilitarian and perfect for the time. Due to some damage on the rear right corner and some rust, the original external hinges are long gone. So I wanted to challenge myself and try and build a custom tailgate....
    Below are two that are inspirations for what I am going for. I have seen the the hinges used in suicide doors for OT cars, but they didn't look like they would work quite right. Any suggestions for hinges from long roofs or other vehicles that may work? BTW, I will be using 50 Pontiac tail lights.
    Thanks, Jeff
    1959 (40).jpg 1960 (189) (800x533).jpg

2. Forgot to mention, I plan on using the embossed FORD letters from my original tailgate on the new one.

3. 63Compact

63Compact

Whats the rear bumper on the brown one? I like it

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

See modern trucks and steel how it's done plus materials from them. Isn't that the way custom mods are done?

fauj likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now we all gotta go look at the back of a stock F100 wide box to see what the original hinges look like .

s55mercury66 and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it took some hunting because for obvious reasons people trying to sell a wide bed F100 don't want to show the stock tailgate. Sure did see a lot of custom tailgates on them though. The simple thing might be a pair of trunions that bolt to the inside of the opening like a lot of 60's and 70's Chevy fleetsides have but your bottom cross piece of the new bed would have to have round pieces on the ends to slip over the trunions. 1958-ford-f100-12.jpg s-l640.jpg 1958-ford-f100-12.jpg

kidcampbell71 and fauj like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may find it easier to use a full length piece of tubing as the hinge point on your new gate. I would go with the trunnions Mr48 shows above, but use a set like the new pickups use, so you can notch the gate for easy removal.

fauj and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. X2^^^^

When you are done with the hinges consider using seat belt buckles to hold the tailgate closed. Simple and clean look. Here are a couple pics of the tailgate on my 56 Dodge. Hobo Jim

7DFEB450-A910-4F83-BF0E-D13FEEA53DFF.jpeg

0E130BB7-6E5E-4AEC-B833-59ACDB6FECE2.jpeg

fauj likes this.
  9. Those are a pair of 67 Nova bumpers on the brown one according to the article. The black one has a rear bumper made from 65 Nova bumpers.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  10. Yes, to some degree. I will try and get a set of late model tailgate hinges and give it a shot... I'll post some pics... eventually!

11. This Eastwood video may help

kidcampbell71 and fauj like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll be dipped.
    I didn't notice those 67 bumpers and I own a 67 Nova, those look good on that truck.

Here is Gary Coes' 57 F-100 from here in Portland, thought you might like the tailgate treatment.
    I didn't post a photo, not too HAMB friendly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...l2j0.2544j0j8&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

fauj likes this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The first pic's bumper had me thinking '64 Impala.

14. I have seen many, many pics of that truck... lots and lots of work done to that one. It does look good, but a bit more than I am going for.

15. Swade, I have seen that one several times... and will watch it again probably several more times. Always something to learn.

swade41 likes this.
  16. Yeah, the stocker was very utilitarian and not too attractive in my opinion. I just want to do some light customization to the truck to personalize it somewhat without completely destroying it.