Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

1. rjgideon

rjgideon

Congratulations to you and your wife! That's awesome, it brought a smile when I woke up and saw it on Instagram this morning!

chryslerfan55 and daddio211 like this.
  2. daddio211

daddio211

Been a LONG time coming!

IG: roundsixeric
    FB: daddio211

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Cut back on the tacos, that may help. Ah sh*t fergit that, it'll never happen.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and daddio211 like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D That's why I have a removable steering wheel set up in mine :D

That's so awesome Eric, congratulations. It's been a long time coming. :cool:

I went ahead and set up the neutral safety switch on my Gennie shifter and here's how I did it.
    I found that it's very sensitive to where you set it in the screw in and out adjustment.

I used a power source and my test light and found a position for the neutral safety switch where it functioned as it was supposed to in neutral and park only ( it breaks the circuit in those positions and won't light the test light)

I did that by slowly screwing it in and out on it's threads to find the sweet spot by shifting in and out of drive park and neutral :)

After that I took my feeler gauges and measured the thickness between the switch base and the shifter as once I found the spot where it functioned properly the switch was loose in the threads.

I got out a flat washer and filed down the thickness to the thickness I needed to shim the switch to that position.

Some careful work and measuring with a digital caliper and I had the shim made.

I put it in place and tightened down the NSS (neutral safety switch)

Then I confirmed that it worked with the test light.

Hope that makes sense, I might have some pictures somewhere of the process.

Congrats again, can't wait till I can drive mine.
    Larry

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Eric.Looks good AND sounds good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

daddio211, 26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  6. There should be a washer under the switch that may be too thick and this may be stopping it making contact with the indents, also you most likely will need to rotate the R/H side of the shifter body to line up its indents with the gear position locks on the other side.JW

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. daddio211

daddio211

Larry and Jeremy, thanks for the info. I'll try to get into it the next few days and will report back!

8. daddio211

daddio211

In a strange turn of events a good friend of mine, who has known about this roadster since I bought it, thinks he may have some history with it!

In fact, this may have been featured in Hot Rod Mechanix magazine in the early 90's, run by Tex Smith and our very own @wayneat !

I know of Tex's "dollar a pound" '32 but apparently they did a number of these builds including a yellow '27 on an A chassis with a built 2.3 turbo.

9. That's some cool history.:cool::cool: JW

chryslerfan55, daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  10. daddio211

daddio211

So the car does seem to have a little history with Tex Smith.

Per @wayneat on my Facebook page:
    ok, I think we have 3 different cars going here. The 27 that Ken Smith built was one that I started and Ken with help from Dave finished it. It had a turbo 2000 cc pinto trans and 9" rear. It also had a chopped 32 grill shell and some billet windshield stanchions that Ken made in the BYU machine shop. I ran it at the drags in Salt Lake and it ran 89 mph in the high 14's. Car no.2 was built by Vince Massa. He bought the 2.3 engine from me. I really didn't have anything to do with the construction of that car that I can remember. Car no 3 was the dollar a pound roadster that Tex Smith built as a magazine project car. I had a pretty rough 31 roadster body and the center section of some 32 frame rails. Tex wanted to buy it. Tex was never flush with money and sometimes sold projects when they got far enough along that they were worth something, so I told him I would loan him the body and frame. That way he couldn't sell it unless I agreed. That car got an overhead cam Pontiac 6 because Tex found one that had been rebuilt and never picked up at the shop, so it was cheap. It ran good and he put many miles on it. Then about a year before he passed away he bought a Chrysler 6 with a hemi head made in Australia. He started to put that in the roadster but never really finished it. Colin Radford in Rigby Idaho finished the swap and got it running after Tex passed away. I think his daughters in Driggs, Idaho have it now. This conversation brings back a lot of memories, some of them may be what actually happened 30 years ago.

This is definitely car #2.

chryslerfan55, brEad, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  11. daddio211

daddio211

Passenger door just went on...
    20181024_165431.jpeg

12. daddio211

daddio211

Driver's door and deck lid on! 20181024_181544.jpeg

13. It just keeps getting better, man that's looking good!! I still don't believe I have seen it in person. JW

loudbang, daddio211 and AndersF like this.
  14. daddio211

daddio211

I'm so glad you have, Jeremy! Funny how this place has made friends from literally the other side of the world! Can't wait to see you and the Mrs. again.

15. June my friend and the same your way.:cool::cool::D JW

daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  16. daddio211

daddio211

Threw a low budget interior in the car tonight and ran to a small charity show.
    20181025_185157.jpeg 20181025_184138.jpeg 20181025_162655.jpeg

17. That looks great and you must have getting the car ready all night as the post above was 10.36 pm here, that would be 3.36 am in your town. Enjoy the show, Eric, we are trailering ours to a show tomorrow.:cool::cool: JW

18. daddio211

daddio211

Ha! I was working on my Expedition all night. I put on a roof rack and a bunch of lights for coyote hunting. We have a big competion next weekend and we're going to turn the night into day!

20181026_105416.jpeg

Yes, I worked on it until 3:00 AM. Laid down and figured I'd throw a few pics of the car up because my body wasn't quite ready to fall asleep. I was back up at 7:00 and ready for work. Draggin' ass today!

Looking forward to pics of your show!

19. Well the ''Hot Rod'' show was a joke, about 80 cars/ pick ups with a total of 8 Hot Rod with a T Bucket taking ''most original:confused:. The pic shows the theme of the show:(. (for HAMB friendliness the photo is of my car) JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Anyway, how was your show and hunting comp??:) JW

chryslerfan55, daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

Can't even begin to detail how rough the past few weeks have been. I was supposed to be at SEMA starting Sunday afternoon through Friday night. Lost oil pressure on my way down Sunday in the hunting rig, still don't know what's going on with it.

Work disaster after work disaster kept me from leaving Monday. And Tuesday. Wednesday too. See a pattern? I owe a huge apology to my friends at the www.roundsixpod.com because I was supposed to be there helping all week and never made it. I really let them down, but they're understanding and great guys. Please check out their SEMA coverage and podcasts! Great, fun website with a wealth of information and humor!

My wife was seriously concerned with me over the week. Thirteen years together and she said multiple times, "I've never seen you like this." Stress is a killer, fellas. She "made" me leave town Friday to hunt the competition with three buddies. It was a much needed break but I certainly wasn't on my A game for the weekend. Regardless, we had a great time.

Sooooo... the roadster. Haven't touched it in about 3 weeks. Going to try to sort out the accelerator pump issue today (fingers crossed) so we can start driving it. Damn life getting in the way of hot rods and coyote hunting!

22. Damn that's a rough time and I know how it feels to miss events etc, hope that's all behind you now and some positive outcome work on the Roadster will happen and you both can get out and start wearing the tires down on it.
    Take it easy Buddy. :D JW

23. daddio211

daddio211

Things were quiet at the office today. Seems like everyone but me took Veteran's Day off. A huge, heartfelt thanks to those of you who have served!

I got a lot of office work done today but just needed to get out to the garage. Replaced the fuel pump, chased a few leaks, set the float (again) and fired the car up. Putted around the neighborhood a bit, car seems to be running pretty good, although I have a lot of little things to still sort out.

IMAG1045.jpeg IMAG1046.jpeg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, brEad, lucky ink and 7 others like this.
  24. daddio211

daddio211

And a video because @milkweed said it didn't happen if I didn't video it. Was a good excuse to go for a second drive today!

Stogy, gonzo, brEad and 8 others like this.
  25. Good to see you getting some ''you'' time. Loved the video and must say I like the exhaust note, its all just great:cool::cool:. JW

26. daddio211

daddio211

Thank you brother! I've definitely needed some time! Hope all is well for you and the missus!

27. All good here thanks and I will let you in on my next project, a Willys powered Belly Tank and yes I intend to run on the salt and use the Roadster PU as a push car......just not sure when. JW

28. daddio211

daddio211

I think she likes it.
    Victoria and her roadster.jpg

Stogy, brEad, kidcampbell71 and 12 others like this.
  29. Way cool, but what could there be not to like.:DJW

Stogy, loudbang and daddio211 like this.
  30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Only thing I can think of not to like about it..............it isn't done yet and ready to drive the wheels off it! :D:rolleyes::cool:

daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.