Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical whats the piece under 32 Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Materguru, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Materguru

Materguru

I am fitting my radiator back in 32 Cabriolet. I have this metal "band" that I think fits under the radiator and on top of the cross member. It looks as if it had maybe some padding or welting riveted to it under. Maybe to keep the radiator separated from the band or plate and to not rub on the radiator or vice versa. Any information from you Deuce "aficionados" would be appreciated. I have included a picture of what I'm asking about and since I was getting so much good intel I also included a piece/part that was with the car when I purchased it but do not know where it goes on the car. If it does at all. As always thank you for shopping at K-Mart. Just a little nostalgia humor. I worked their when I was a kid..Call me goofy!
    Thanks
    Sparkle City Speed Shop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Pics? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that on mine. A photo would help us jog our memory.

3. Materguru

Materguru

will get pics today. btw, I see a Chevy there by you moniker. I know i didn't say before but this is a Ford but the Deuce I thought was a give away. Anyway...Just saying.

4. deucemac

deucemac

Are you talking about the splash apron that runs below the grill shell, folds forward and covers the frame horns and fits around the spreader bar!

5. Materguru

Materguru

no, this fits the bottom of the radiator perfectly and the holes and bends for the crossmember. did it have any rubber or ? riveted to it.

6. F&J

F&J

It must be the bottom band that was originally part of the stock radiator. Then a woven anti-squeak material between it and the lower tank.
    ...At least that is what I recall of original 32 radiators.

7. Materguru

Materguru

thanks for the infor F&J do you know this for a fact? I can rivet something back. what do you suggest is most likely the best to rivet to it?

8. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

A little hard to see, but on the bottom of radiator is a heavier steel piece that follows the bottom tank. It's soldered on the radiator and has holes for mounting in it.
    [​IMG]

F&J likes this.
  9. On mine, 32 Ford, there was some isolating material under the two bolts that the radiator mounts to the frame. It had the original radiator when I first got it back in 1974 and I don't recall anything else under the radiator itself.

F&J likes this.
  10. F&J

F&J

If the solder was still holding, then the plate mentioned by Greg32 would be easy to miss, because it is part of the radiator, not a loose part. I do remember the stock woven anti-squeak strip. I thought that woven stuff was riveted to the plate, but I work on so many different brands of these early cars, that I get confused in memory.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen a lot of old 32 Fords and their parts, but never remember seeing any separate piece (strap?) like that to fit below the radiator. Like the others have said, it sounds like the bottom steel brace of your radiator has come loose. But I am surprised it would have any padding riveted to it.

12. Materguru

Materguru

Ohh, ok when I sent radiator to brass works.. which by the way did an incredible job! I did not include that please I guess that’s why it’s separated but should be no problem bolting it together that it to the crossmember anything else any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Andy

Andy

It was originally solidly attached to the radiator side straps with rivets I think. Maybe welding.
    The mounting in the car had fender welting but I use scrap innertube for paddding.
    I also use extreamly light springs and SS hardwear with locking nuts. This allows the radiator to move. The frames are easy to twist and locking the radiator down will cause it to be torn apart. The steady rods and firewall are very stiff. The fenders were the main stiffening for the front end of the frame. That is why they always cracked.

F&J likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

That strap is the bottom mount that is both soldered and riveted on the stock bottom tank of the radiator. Most aftermarket radiators just have it soldered on which works out better since there is less chance of leaks developing at the rivet holes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J likes this.
  15. Materguru

Materguru

i just wanted to take a second to thank all for your help and answers. yall did answer my question. this is why the HAMB works.

16. Materguru

Materguru

No, I got it figured out thank you