Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

I can't agree to anything about suicide doors unless they came with the car originally. I'll never understand why anyone in their right mind would change a conventional door to a suicide. Most of those conversions look like shit anyway.
    Right now and for the last 3 months theres been a red 66 Nova 2 door hardtop for sale on eBay and the Net with suicide doors. Other then the suicide doors it looks like a pretty decent car. So far the car has garnered absolutely zero bids but plenty of laughs and negative comments over the way it looks. It would have sold months ago with the conventional doors intact. Nuf said about the wisdom of converting conventional doors to suicide. Besides whats the point?

Gary

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and warbird1 like this.
  2. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Both my cars are 4-dr. and I like em. IMO, they're "party cars." They're more convinient and more comfortable. I can understand 2-dr.'s being easier to work on and being lighter, but most 4-dr'.s tend to look longer in my eyes. I'm a big fan of the 40's and early 50's and most of that styling I like is long and curvy.

chryslerfan55 and egads like this.
  3. Here in the UK there has never been a issue about 2 or 4 doors and certainly not the big differences in value. Nobody would regard a good condition 4 door as only good for a parts car.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. VonKool13

VonKool13

Ive had quite a few more doors, and several 2 doors. Personally I don't give a rip, but the 2 doors will always be king.

egads likes this.
  5. I loved this car until Corvette fever struck me.
    Replaced it with a 58 Corvette with automatic.
    Good car for commuting to college while driving in and out of Boston every day
    Fun College years driving the Bel Air and Corvette.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m thinking you would learn to love them if you’re in Australia. ;)

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

Yes I agree. I was referring to original suicide door cars.

BTW how many cars were converted TO 4 doors
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I like them all....always have.

bedwards, 31hotrodguy and egads like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope.

nochop likes this.
  10. By far one of the best "more door" hot rods. Six doors to be exact.
    [​IMG]

OahuEli, BigO, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  11. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

In this day in age being a young HAMBER I’ll take what I can get, it won’t bother me none, most people now a days only see a “clasic Car” they don’t see it as a more door, it’s just classic, and that is just garunteed some thumbs up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Nope!...........Not then, not now.

Old wolf and Gman0046 like this.
  13. My 51 Merc 4 Dr with a Carson looks ok to me. It depends on the year and trends too, in So Cal around 1957 there was a trend for a couple of years amoung the kids to have a 4 dr "Gangster Car" 30's 40's big cars Cad, Olds, Packards were in I had a 39 Maroon Olds sedan that was an inch off the ground and a 38 Lasalle hearse during those times "Gangster Cars" were happening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mine was just like this one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Totally. I just picked up a pretty straight 57 Chevy Bel Air 4dr hardtop for $1600! The car is pretty complete and floors are rust free! I am very aware of all the negatives that surround a 4dr car but that is pretty cheap. In times past I would have not even cared. Besides being cheap Tri5 4dr wagons and 4dr hard tops make good Jr stockers for all the guys who say 4drs can’t be hotrods.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

My buddy’s 150 has helped me get over my dislike for 4dr cars. [​IMG]

16. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Nope, coupes 4 ever...

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. ... Impulse bought this mordor Mopar because it was in good shape ...
    ... Drove it for the summer then lost money on it selling it before winter so I didn't have to store it ...
    ... I'll stick to 2 drs and coupes from now on ...
    DSCN3109.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Never really had an issue with 4 doors per se...... depended on the car. Some worked, others didn't. I'm a sucker for suicide doors too, so that doesn't help. All time favorite 4 door is an OT car, but the ideas of what I could do to it are scary. 68-69 Thunderbird 4 door with a built 385 in it would be a nasty beast. :eek:

19. clem

clem

D4FE31B7-B45D-480C-9584-9ADF2B55E6B2.jpeg

Like most here, I have always viewed them as parts cars.
    But as the availability of old cars diminishes there will likely be more four doors built.
    When you see what can be done with some, (as in posts 32 and 38), I’m sure that they will become more acceptable.

Here’s mine that I bought for a parts car, and now I enjoy it so much, as is, that it is unlikely to ever be a parts car.
    Whilst I admire the two in the above mentioned posts, I can’t this one ever being chopped or run fender-less.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

That's a really nice car for a sedan.
    Now the couple version of that car is one of my favorites. As a driver or a badass drag car IMO they are one of the best Mopar 60s muscle car platforms.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and 1935streetrod like this.
  21. jazz1

jazz1

You can get them cheap so definitely the 2 doors are more popular but I would pick the low buck car. 4 door drivers languish on the market around here.

22. PIX!!!!

QUOTE="31hotrodguy, post: 12795683, member: 233849"]Totally. I just picked up a pretty straight 57 Chevy Bel Air 4dr hardtop for $1600! The car is pretty complete and floors are rust free! I am very aware of all the negatives that surround a 4dr car but that is pretty cheap. In times past I would have not even cared. Besides being cheap Tri5 4dr wagons and 4dr hard tops make good Jr stockers for all the guys who say 4drs can’t be hotrods.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Didn’t in my youth, hasn’t changed. My dad passed on a black 57’ Chevy two door and bought a 4 door 58’ Ford so granny could get in easier. He often talked about that as a big mistake!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Chevy57dude, you’ve seen this 4dr but for everyone else’s benefit I’ll post some. [​IMG][​IMG]

25. Nope, have never liked them and still don't. Even on new stuff... they just don't look right, too "busy". My '40 is a Fordor and really the only reason I've kept it is the family connection it holds. If it's a two-many door you might as well build it the way you want; cause no else will want it...

chryslerfan55 and Gman0046 like this.
  26. Don't believe Dad ever owned a 2 door. I am glad all you folks like them. Makes four doors more affordable for us poor folk.

Ben

1953naegle, jazz1 and cactus1 like this.
  27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Because the '56 4dr Victoria is virtually extinct, I thought I'd put up a picture:

1956-Ford-Fairlane-Victoria.jpg

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’d happily buy that one too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in real life

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  29. Duellym

Duellym

i have a thing for 4 doors, and correct me if i'm wrong but I've heard they're a bit stiffer than coupes in most cases..or at least that's how it is with newer cars.

30. My mother drove one of those orange & white 56 four door htps in 1963. It came from Chicago and looked good. after a month of rough Arkansas Gravel roads all the filler and screen wire fell off. We junked it . The main bearing where loose and the crank wobble made the rear main leak and the front seal on the trans leak too. I still have the rear bumper. It has the holes for the exhaust to exit thru the bumper.