Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plymouth 1953 hardtop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Moparguy_bmx, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Thanks. Didn't know that. I stand corrected.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

3. chryslerfan55 and 1927graham like this.
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

There is one I bought parts from. PLYDO.

5. Hey fellas, I want to know what do you think about this crazy idea I had, I had a million thoughts about how making my grille unique and realized that I wanted the "teeth" to stand out so I made this photoshop of my car with the OG grille and desoto's teeth
    plymo grill meets teeth.jpg

I was sure they were going to hit the hood but had to try anyways, so I assembled the plymo grille and as I already took some teeth out to straighten the other grille I had to try it, so this is not screwed but you can see that they will fit with minor mods. Tell me what you think or if you know anybody that did the same.

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-30 at 14.00.52.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-09-30 at 14.01.06.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and 48fordnut like this.
  6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I like it.

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

While you're experimenting, how about trying the bar/teeth in the inverted position?
    It might better center the teeth vertically in the grille cavity. (Provided they still look good that way.)
    If you do try, please post a pic.

8. Haha, my father tried that and I hated it, sorry there are no photos of that, next time I work in the car I might take some so you can see it. I'm thinking of grinding just a lil bit of the rear part of the teeth to clear the hood plus they'll get horizontally and hopefully more agressive haha

chryslerfan55 and 'Mo like this.
  9. I like it better all DeSoto.

10. After a year with the proyect, took the same photos as in first post :) .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. First "long" trip to the beach (I actually live in the beach but we went to the summer house for a weekend). The car likes the route for sure, 60mpg average. At what speed does a stock flattie cruise? 14mpg is okay? ( I was expecting 20mpg, my carb is small, originally for a 1400cc car, so I guess that could be a reason for less economy ). Trip was a success and plenty of fun !

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-21 at 19.20.40.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-21 at 19.21.20 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-21 at 19.21.20.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-10-23 at 09.17.06.jpeg

12. martin53

martin53

Will a 53 Plymouth sedan front windshield fit a 53 Dodge sedan

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

‘Probably’.......but I do not know for sure at the moment. I do have a MOPAR parts book at home and will try to remember to look that up tonight and post what I find.....

Ray

14. martin53

martin53

Thanks

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

779FBE2A-1FE6-4DC0-841A-97CF0DA2FC07.jpeg

Here is a photo of the parts book....windshield group number 53-66-135

Unfortunately, I find this confusing. What I do understand is that ‘53/‘54 Plymouth and Dodge convertibles (cv cp), 2 door hardtops and station wagons share the same basic body shells. The convertible models share the same w/s glass.

Reading the parts listing, it appears that many other models of both Plymouth and Dodge share a a windshield part number....see the top 2 lines....I indicate the same part numbers under the headings in the columns for Ply/Dodge (line #1 is clear glass, line #2 is tinted).

Lines 3 & 4 are convertible coupe, clear and tinted glass, part numbers. Lines 5 & 6 are exclusively for Dodge models.

So, what it suggests to me is some models of Plymouth and Dodge, other than Conv Cpe, share the same glass part number BUT there are some Dodge models that are different than Plymouth.

This is both frustrating and comforting to me. I have a ‘53 Dodge Diplomat Hardtop, which heretofore I thought used a convertible windshield. Not so, according to this parts listing. It appears to me the Hardtop is the same as sedan, pillar Coupe and wagon models. The ‘comfort’ is that I purchased a NOS windshield for a ‘53/‘54 without knowing for certain which model it fits. It seems that it will fit my Hardtop unless it happens to be a convertible glass, which I feel fairly certain it is not.

Are we clear on this interchangeable question now?? :confused:

:D Ray

16. martin53

martin53

Yeah that is pretty confusing.

17. I got some questions!

1st, As the plymo is a wannabe hot rod I bought it a grant 832 steering wheel, now that I got it I realized that I need a wheel boss (the center with the spline), does it come out from the original steering I have or do I need a new one, do fords match?

2nd, I'm looking for the rear pillar belt mouldings, I found these on ebay but the seller says they are for a club coupe which I think is not the hardtop model that I need, do they fit my car?

[​IMG]

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You need to buy a mounting kit for the Grant, they bolt onto a seperate hub. That hub goes onto your steering column shaft. The old Superior steering wheels were like that, a steering wheel and a seperate kit with hub and horn button, if I remember correctly. Your 2nd question I do not know.

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  19. HUB is the word I needed to know haha ! I planned to modify a fitting hub to save some bucks, plus I didn't know which kit that grant offers is for my column :s .

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am not certain which kit you need either, but you may be able to cut your steering wheel hub out, like you are thinking. You might be better off if you grab another old steering wheel, and cut that up instead of yours.

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  21. That looks great!

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  22. Did a compression test, it has in between 140 and 150lbs, how can I know my compression ratio?. IMG-20181207-WA0027.jpeg

mgtstumpy and 48fordnut like this.
  23. Flamed48

Flamed48

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  24. Spending some time with my father working on the rusty plymo, hopefully soon there will be no more rust, at list no visible rust haha. Still fun and cheap, used the car a lot lately, engine is running so good I'm not thinking about putting together the 230 yet, now I want the car to look as good as possible for the buck. Hammer shape for the win haha. DIY
    IMG_20181210_100117.jpg IMG_20181210_105209.jpg
    IMG_20181211_115743.jpg IMG_20181212_205215.jpg IMG_20181212_205236.jpg IMG_20181217_165210.jpg

mgtstumpy, farmer12, 'Mo and 3 others like this.
  25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Nice job on the rocker panel, if I may make a suggestion, a rubber mallet works better than a steel hammer because it does not dent the metal and makes it easier to get a smooth bend. Go back and forth from end to end, bending a little at a time, 4 or 5 times to make a 90 degree bend.

I have made lots of rocker panels and patch panels with a piece of angle iron clamped to a workbench, I found this is the best way to get a nice neat job.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

keep up the good work.
    Merry Christmas

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Factory specification is 140PSI so that is excellent. Original compression ratio 7.1:1. Yours may be slightly higher if someone milled the head. Should run beautifully on 75 octane gas. Low compression engines run better and develop full power on low octane fuel, no need for expensive high octane.

50 - 60 is a good cruising speed if everything is in good condition. Normal gas mileage should be 20 -22 MPG on good smooth roads, hilly areas or stop and go traffic will cut mileage. Your car should be doing better, maybe it needs a tuneup or a better carburetor. I have been told the carburetor off a Chev six from the fifties will fit, and work better than the original. Then there is the Weber progressive 2 barrel, it was used on millions of 4 cylinder cars in the seventies and eighties, you can still buy new ones and fit them with an adapter. It works well on older six cylinder engines.

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  28. You read my mind, I was going to post today. I am enjoying my holidays as I don't have to work during this month, plus it's summer. Anyways this is how to car is right now. Getting prepared for the biggest meeting of the year in Punta del Este (well known place in Uruguay).

Hammered the door's dent, got some door handles (it had vw bug ones ...).
    Tack welded handmade panels (plus some inside metal repairs).
    Still cheap, still fun.

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-23 at 6.53.16 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-24 at 7.33.12 PM.jpeg

mgtstumpy, Squablow, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  29. southerncad

southerncad

Lookin' good, keep up the good work, and keep posting the pics.

48fordnut and Moparguy_bmx like this.