Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember cars with names or writing on the trunk lid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 11, 2017.

1. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

My grandpa's ot truck had "Grin if you're horny" on the tailgate. I always got a kick out of him driving that truck around in his eighties with that on there. I sure miss that crazy old man!

From the looks of it, he was feelin' pretty horny when this picture was taken of him in his roadster at El Mirage in '47.
    IMG (1).jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

After being ridiculed a cruise one night about 30yrs ago for bringing a primerd, rusted unfinished car to a cruise ,I broke out some yellow paint and painted "Strictly Unfinished Business" ,and a flying eyeball on the trunk lid,and the quote as stuck,its been redone once,but its staying,...now i need to finish the damn car.As a side note when some one calls it a rat rod i say.
    "its not a rat rod,its just strictly unfinished business"

Attached Files:

• 314.jpg
      314.jpg
      File size:
      204.8 KB
      Views:
    dana barlow likes this.
  3. Jimmy Kenney1 001.jpg Jimmy Kenney2 001.jpg Jimmy Kenney3 001.jpg
    Famous custom from Stamford CT. Had name on the back, although not shown here.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. flynstone

flynstone

rick grindal, r.i.p. would put this logo on any of the yaks cars that wanted it.... free (piece o shit) the first one I ever saw was on evil eds ranchero. on mine he changed it up

Attached Files:

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a OT, lifted, 4X4, diesel Dodge Pickup in Portland a couple weekends ago that had "I identify as a Prius" written on the tailgate. Does that count?

enloe likes this.
  6. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

One of my favorites. IMG_20141025_0001.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Need a picture of THAT cul d sac.

Ben

8. Now THAT sounds like a challenge!

Ben

seb fontana likes this.
  9. Little off topic, same theme. My first over the road work vehicle was "Kathy's Pride" painted on the nose, a take of on the clown.

Ben

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I view all the writing on doors and trunks as rather cheesy and in poor taste for the most part.
    Just my opinion for what it’s worth :D

Gman0046 likes this.
  11. I forgot about the rear end housings. I painted { Street is Neat } on mine. It was an NSRA saying at the time.;) 137.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  12. roder1935

roder1935

A few years back I bought a 28 A coupe on the lower cowl was very nicely done I might add, the words OL 'MAN I couldn't wait to get that off and so I did and have regretted it ever since it was simple and clean looked good on the older paint

dana barlow likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-7_4-37-43.png
    “There's a museum in Long Beach, California, with about 35 rare Willys race and show cars. Most of the parts for those cars came from Rods West. Three tractor-trailer rigs full, in fact. Don Waldron originally bought the Silly Willy 24 years ago for $700 from Long Beach. He says it wasn't a particularly successful racer, but he had a soft spot for it. He sold it to the guys at Automobilia, but then they wanted one of his Henry Js, so he ended up with the four-door again.”

Hello,

When I went to the first grand opening of the Lion’s Dragstrip Museum at the Price Transfer Automobilia Complex in 2017, it was a wonderful event. There were a lot of old people in attendance. The reason being they were mostly teenagers and 20 something youngsters back when the Lion’s Dragstrip History started rolling along. (Opened in 1955 and closed in 1972.) Over the years, there were tons of people there to remember the times on a Saturday night when the action went into the late night with the ever present fog just moving inland from the nearby ocean.

The museum itself had some great looking cars. In one wing of the whole display, there was a very cool looking Orange, 1941 Willys 4 door sedan that everyone entering the huge warehouse area could see. The name on the 4 doors was a head turner. “Silly Willy” Actually, it was a blast of color, as across the aisle, there was a bright Yellow 41 Willys Coupe doing the face to face old “High Noon” stance.
    upload_2020-11-7_4-38-29.png 2017

Jnaki

During the grand re-opening of the new Lion’s Dragstrip museum in 2019, the bright orange 4 door Willys was front and center in the line up drag racing cars ready to make a run in the simulated starting lineup.
    upload_2020-11-7_4-39-8.png 2019

dana barlow likes this.
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My daughter has this across her back window, " Baszd meg", In Hungarian is means fuck you lol.. My dad had this on his vanity plate ...

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The 55 Chevy I built back in the eighties said “Forget Buddy Holly? That’ll be the day!”

5A784CE6-1950-49CB-9369-2FB6036EAD7A.jpeg F020DF82-76FF-4C23-9B53-12068D5DA9DE.jpeg

dana barlow and lurker mick like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Does "wash me" written in the dirt count?

17. Some older guys still do it,lol. 20200730_200324.jpg

dana barlow and CME1 like this.
  18. got to have the name on the tail
    38006924_2485148381498901_4041426756517756928_o.jpg 1560487_781779591835797_2065300554_n.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

While working a the York, Maine Chevy dealership, Leighton's Chevrolet, every once in awhile they would sent me up to Portland to get a vehicle, along with a old man so we could drive both cars back. One day we went up and pickup a new Corvette, and I drove it back. I was traveling the Maine Turnpike max out, foot on the floor., since there was no traffic I was in the slow lane. Shooting by me and crossing in front of me a old 56 Chevy wagon, with 427 CU lettered on the tailgate. One thing about these trips we always stopped to eat at the same place so that we could enter back into the car lot at the same time. When we got to the place, after waiting for about 10 to 15 minutes the old guy shows up and we were eating he says, "did you see that 56 Chevy", I replied "427 CU".

dana barlow likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I saw them too in the 50-60’s, thought it was a dumb idea then and now. It would be a deal breaker for me if it was under the clear coat. At least on top I could get it off if it was One Shot....

54chevkiwi likes this.
  21. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Guy I know when to school with a dude (way back when) who had a real nice car, paint, striping, the works.. wanted “angel baby” on the back, guy who done it wrote “angle baby”
    .....dude never lived that one down according to my mate..
    HAHAHA!

22. cfmvw

cfmvw

Rockland Maine in the early 1980's there was an orange 1969 Camaro with "Raise A Little Hell" on the rear spoiler. It was pretty fast and got thrashed hard enough that engine rebuilds were a common occurrence. When I was stationed at Clark AB in the Philippines a few years later, there was a red primered Plymouth Fury with Gumby painted on the side with "Surf Ski Skate Naked".

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  23. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

In the late 70's a gal had an OT Dodge that had Mellow Baby in chromeagraphics (sp)
    A friend of mine had Jim's Bitch

dana barlow and cfmvw like this.
  24. Back in the '70's I bought a '55 Chevy with "the pusher" painted on the rear quarters. A little rubbing compound and some elbow grease took care of that.