Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1964 Max Wedge A833 and bellhousing identification...help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Oct 22, 2018.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Well my buddies have been giving me a hard time about putting a “pussamatic” in my 60’s style drag car 1948 Plymouth.

[​IMG]

So I was looking through Craigslist and found a decent priced A833 and aftermarket cast steel bellhousing.

[​IMG]

I went up this past Saturday and looked at it. I was assuming that it had an Ansen or Wedge Engineering one, but It turned out that the bellhousing wasn’t an aftermarket one at all. I made the guy an offer and brought it home. I got the trans bellhousing inspection cover and a Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. When I started looking at it I figured out It was a factory Chrysler one, and it turns out that the bellhousing is from a 1964 Stage III Max Wedge car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to the internet there were only 126 four speeds total between Plymouth and Dodge in 64. I don’t know how to tell what the trans is out of other than the fact that it’s a 64/65 because of the fixed oddball yoke.

[​IMG]

Is there anyway to tell if this trans was from the same car? Is this thing worth too much to use? I’d kind of like to have this in my car, because of what it is, but if it’s worth a bunch, then I guess I’ll let it go and find something else.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can only tell you that cast steel bellhousings were indeed considered safety housings at that time. Ansen and Wedge made them for the aftermarket and I was required to have one at Lions Dragstrip in 64 behind my SBC in a 62 Chevy II.

loudbang and II FUNNY like this.

5. The fact it says "STEEL" means you stole it. Really that bellhousing and lower steel plate is the real deal. Most were the cast bellhousing - we have a few between friends. Can look at the trans later...but there should be a pad down near where you would put the bottom bolt into the bellhousing on the passenger side bolt into the bell housing....on latter years it's where they look for the vin # stamp.....let us know. You could go over to the B Bodies only site and join to put your info in the 63/64 Max Wedge section....you'll get responses there.

6. great buy. I would sell the trans to a restorer and get one with a slip yoke. the one you have cant handle as much power. there is a reason it didn't last very long.

ppsi1216 and loudbang like this.
  7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I am right. That should be a '64 only trans. '65 should have a slip yoke. Also the 426 hemi came in 1/2 year '64. You may have something to sell and fund more of your project. I would contact Jim Kramer @ Kramer Automotive in Pa. to find out.

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thanks for the info. It doesn’t have a pad like this one in the picture...

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I sent something to MOPARS by Mosher, but didn’t get any response...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

That may be worth a chunk to the right people. Be interesting to find out how this shakes out.

loudbang likes this.
  11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I posted over in the B Bodies only forum...I guess we’ll see what happens.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  12. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

The bellhousing is for a 1964-65 B body Hemi.

The transmission number for a 1964-65 B body is 246 4641

Hemi trans-01.jpg

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thank you!!!

[​IMG]

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

I'd definitely sell it to one of the wennies that does concourse style resto jobs (I was one of those wennies btw - no, longer).
    Most have deep pockets and I'm thinking you might manage 4k out of the combo to the right person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

loudbang, stillrunners and II FUNNY like this.
  15. Nice score Kip. Flip that whole deal and put a push button Torqueflite in. Don't let the rest of the border bandits sway you unless you are planning on running with the Southeast Gassers.

loudbang likes this.
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The trans is just an early 23 spline A833, it isn’t from the same car. I originally was going to put a manual in it when it was going to be Chevy powered, but didn’t have any MOPAR stick stuff...when I stumbled on this I planned on running it, but the bellhousing is probably gonna need a new home.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and porkshop like this.
  17. Those 23 spline 833 can take a hell of a beating, ask me how I know!;)

loudbang, II FUNNY and stillrunners like this.
  18. What Slayer said....kinda why they ruled the stick class.....

19. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

is the bell housing and plate for sale?

Does anyone have the MW stg. III version? Looks the same but different id. number.
    I have a stg. III bell housing but its for a 3 speed not 4 speed. Im interested in trades for a 4 speed.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

20. How's this one progressing Kip? Any updates?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late to the party but in 1969 and 70 I Street raced against a lot of 383 Roadrunners I could beat the 4 speed cars but the torqurflite cars would usually beat me and usually beat the 4 speed cars by the combined car lengths.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

The guys had to know how to drive a 4 speed car for it to be faster than an auto car.
    The "pussymatic" guys probably never ran against a properly set up Mopar 727, or even a 904 with the right motor in front of it. They are probably thinking about the GM slush boxes, and then they were right. Gene

23. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got one of those four speeds, a one year deal as far as I know. I always figured it would get cannibalize for parts.

24. Have a B-Body early trans as well with the flange....my first 4sp buy along with some other parts that came with it.....it's never moved from the bench I put it some 40 years ago...

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Do you have the T85 three speed?

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Slow!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  27. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I decided to make the cowl vent functional for the engine, since the engine was back into the firewall anyway...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

slayer and jeepsterhemi like this.
  28. Slick idea. Slow progress is still progress. Keep up the good work, you'll get there.

29. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

No.

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

[​IMG]

Well I guess we’ll see how this old trans does this weekend...[​IMG]

AndersF likes this.