Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. I'm interested in seeing how many racers would like to go to George Ray's hot rod wildcat dragstrip in paragould Arkansas next year. I'm tentatively thinking sunday may 19th before it gets too hot.
    George Ray's is a unreal trip back to the past. The track has changed very little since it was built in George's back yard during the early 60s. Nostalgic events are held all over the country and I have attended my share over the years. Some are better than others. The one thing missing in all of them is the feeling of a small time track that time has not touched. You won't find big grand stands there. Backing your truck up to the fence and dropping the tailgate is how it's done. If you want a time slip printed out with a break down of ets through out the track it's not happening. A hand written post it note is all your getting with a et and mph on it. there is no score board so the times are announced over the pa. Concessions are found at a small shack and the souvenirs consist of t shirts. There are no lights for night racing. There is no running water so bring your own for burnouts. The lanes are narrow and the starting line is a confined space. There's no fancy air conditioned tower or concrete guard rails to obstruct the view. a couple logs and a few poles with chain link fencing is all that keeps the spectators from the action or wandering out onto the track. What the place does not have is made up in what it does have. That being character and a feeling of how it was done in drag racing's early days in all it's dangerous glory. It's a unsanctioned track. Race at your own risk signs are posted at the gate. I have raced there several times with each time being a unreal trip back to the past. Final plans are being made. This won't be a anything you have to register for just show up and run. Who is interested?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Dog_Patch, powrshftr, J.Ukrop and 9 others like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I'm in brian this would be a great place to run my digger and the photos will be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Who wouldn't love to go down the track at George Ray's? Running on an NHRA track is fun but can't imagine what George Ray's would be like. Talk about Nostalgia drag racing. Too bad its so far away from me..

Gary

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  4. 20130623_154139.jpg 20130623_154119.jpg Great wrench bender I couldn't agree more regarding the photo ops. Here are a few pics of my car at George rays. You will never have so much fun at a race track in your life. Rosin burnouts; half track smokey burnouts; fire burnouts whats not to like. Anyone can run a car down a manicured and prepped lane at any one of the NHRA palaces. George's track while concrete has not ever been repaved. There is zero track prep. The locals bring their own vht put down with squirt bottles. So pack a set of big ones if you have a pair and try your best to wrestle your car down this historic track. It's not that low ets can't be had. The track record is 4.9 in the eighth it just takes a skilled driver and a properly set up car for a really low et.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019

5. Got that pic ^ on my garage wall next to your fuel coupe that came out in hot rod.

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I may drive down and watch all you crazies. Keep us informed.

loudbang, oldsjoe and racer-x like this.
  7. I spoke to Charles jollof last night. He was the head starter at George Ray's for 30 years. There have been a few changes to the track since George passed away and his grandson took over the track. They took down the original tower if you want to call it that and built a new one even with the tree line on the left side of the track. The last time I raced there it was seven dollars to get in and race the car for free if you like. Now its ten dollars to get in and another ten to race. Still not bad I just paid 45 at union grove. Chucky is going to help get this thing going. He knows everyone in the area. I have also reached out to some of my sources in the media to see if they want to cover the event. The track is open on Sunday only. On previous times going there I left a day early and hit the tracks in sikeston Mo. and dyersburg Tenn.on Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    CudaChick1968, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

$20.00 is more then a steal. You can't race anywhere for that much less an iconic track like George Ray's. You'd pay more then that just to be a spectator at most Lawn Chair events.

Gary

loudbang, mad mikey and oldsjoe like this.
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Sounds like a deal to me I have spoken to 3 guys here locally that have confirmed they will go as well and that was just the first three lol if you are into vintage racing and actually get it you will make the drive this place is awesome

CudaChick1968, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  10. sounds great keep spreading the word. chucky asked if there were going to be any fire burnouts with the coupe. I replied of course how can you go to George rays and not do that. with no fenders over the rear tires the flaming gas should really be flying.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like fun.
    Afraid I will be building cars and engines all of next year. :(

Gammz, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  12. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip! Maybe we could temporarily move the Saturday lunch meeting to Arkansas for that day. At this point pencil me in.
    Jim

loudbang likes this.
  13. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I might be up for bringing one of my things down. Let me know when?

loudbang likes this.
  14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

The guys who i talked with said the same thing about our Saturday lunch too lol

loudbang likes this.
  15. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Wish I had something to race... I could cruise down in the biscayne and spectate!

loudbang likes this.
  16. jim there was a 65 white comet that was one of the faster cars that ran there. kind of a rough car but what it lacked in looks was more than made up in performance. if you decide to move the lunch meeting there pack your own lunch. George didn't spend much money on meat. that's a story in itself. the grand kid probable doesn't either.

CudaChick1968 and loudbang like this.
  17. with this update comes good news. I was contacted by a major magazine photographer. he is interested in coming out and shooting the event. when I was there shooting the fire burn outs for hot rod the locals came out in force. they all wanted to see the show. it turned into a turn away crowd. the track only allows the first 200 cars in. this is a small track. they had to close the gate per George rays orders. so a word to the wise show up early. once the word gets out a magazine is coming it could get crazy. you don't want to miss this.

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

racer-x, CudaChick1968 and loudbang like this.
  19. cool. bring a few jugs of gas and vht so you can join in on the fire burn out fun.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Brian
    Has a date been selected yet? I want to put it on the calendar as soon as possible. Hopefully it will not conflict with another event.

21. Wish I lived closer. Sounds like a blast!

loudbang likes this.
  22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I like to run at places we've never been before. George Rays is one of them. Sounds like a party. We're a solid maybe depending on the date.

23. the date is now set. it will happen on may 19th. i spoke to chucky tonight after he contacted george rays grandson tyler. tyler runs the track now. he is all in on us coming down. what ever we want to do is ok with him. rosin burnouts and fire burnouts are ok. we will have our own designated parking area. a few well known video companies are also interested in recording all the craziness. stay tuned in as more info becomes available. you don't want to miss this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  24. Dave it would be great to see you there. after the sun goes down and the fire burnouts are complete i will pull out the shine to pass around. that will get the party started. it makes for a good bench racing kind of night.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    loudbang, mad mikey and oldsjoe like this.
  25. Interesting......can we camp at the track?

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. i don't see why not. he said what ever we need. i can ask to be certain. the place has nothing to offer as far as camping amenities so come prepared with what you need. kennet is the closest town with hotels. if i remember correctly its about 20-30 minutes away.

loudbang likes this.
  27. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Jonesboro Ark is only about 30 miles south/southwest of there. Hotels there.

28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I'm in for sure brian got it already marked on the calendar and if you need anything let me know or if I need to go down there for anything I'm way closer than you lol I spoke to David tanner Hooley and a couple other guys on Sunday at mokan and they are all in for going so there are 5 guys who are local to me that are willing to go this is gonna be awesome

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

loudbang likes this.
  30. thanks Jackson. chucky is in the process now of contacting a few other local tracks. I-57 runs Friday night. I have made passes there as soon as they opened then loaded up and went south to dyersberg tn. for a few more passes under the lights there. I think it was about a hours drive. You cross the Mississippi and it's the first exit. Saturday we could hit Sikeston then finish up sunday at George Rays. so for anyone not wanting to drive far for only one day of fun consider doing this. Hitting a few small southern tracks then finishing it off with a grand finale at George rays. this was not a uncommon thing to do back in the day. the touring teams raced on any day ending with a y. we did this on a regular basis with the 65 dodge to get the full on dose of nostalgia. more bang for the buck. I guarantee you will go home with stories.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018