Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HOT ROD & SWAPMEET HAULER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Oct 22, 2018.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I just got a smokin deal on a Haulmark enclosed trailer. It is in great shape but has set out for over 2 years and needs some TLC. The outer metal parts are getting the wire brush, POR 15 and top cost of black Rustoleum. I need some input on the rusty rivets where the outer skin metal is attached. What is the hot set up to remove the rust stains on the white metal before a pre-winter waxing? I also need to know what I should use for a roof coating. I haven't even got the license tag yet and have two hauling jobs, a Model A and a whole load of old car parts a guy bought at an auction 100 miles away. I also already had a guy I hardly know wanting to borrow it, no going to happen. My insurance says I am the only one insured to pull it:D

34 GAZ likes this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

CLR may work on the rust stains?

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try the CLR first and see where it gets you. That is what the "patina" brigade uses to clean off the mild surface rust from old paint.

5. Damn. I was hoping to see a Buick shop truck!

Bandit Billy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats on the trailer. They can become a great portable parts storage depot. Good or bad depends:D

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sounds great but I wouldn't paint it black for a couple of reasons. First it would be a bugger to keep clean and second I would think it would really heat up in the summer, you never know what you might be hauling.

8. Camouflage colours might be beter these days. Just let it blend in with your garden.

9. southerncad

southerncad

Don't forget to paint the license plate number on the top, in case somebody decides to borrow it and not tell you...it's a good way to identify a stolen trailer.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I didn't make myself too clear on the black painting. I am just redoing the front hitch etc. and the metal around the rear ramp door and side door lock latch and metal. The white exterior will stay that way with a good clean up and waxing. Thanks for the tip on marking the top! When it is at home Mr. Winchester and the Smith& Wesson boys will stand guard;)

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Buckeye, check the age ot the tires on the trailer. Lots of time trailer tires look great, but are old and will fail. Nothing any more dangerous than changing a tire on a busy highway. I know you know this, but had to mention it. Congratulations on the good score!

Bones

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how many hubcaps to fill it?

13. Mr. clean Magic eraser should work on removing the rust stains.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I will let you know next spring, I am guessing a shit load. For the winter it is going to be extra storage for one of the Buicks.

16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I used to have the idea of making a Buick Camino (Bumino?) out of a station wagon but as I have more projects than I will ever live to complete now I gave up on the idea. I did have a 45 F-1 with a 401 nailhead one time years ago but sold it when some guy wanted it more than I did. It was rough as hell but a bunch of fun. I had trouble with the rear tires wearing out pretty quick:D

chevy57dude likes this.
  17. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My fingers slipped a little,o_O it was a 48 F-1, don't laugh, you guys will get old and screw up one of these days

18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My brother knew a guy that took the wheels off one side of his trailer when he went on vacation to stop the low life crooks, they broke in his garage to get the wheels. Then they put them back on the trailer and backed it up to the garage and cleaned it out. The guy lived back off the road and they had plenty of time to clean him out. The bad part is the scum bags passed themselves off as "old friends" and talked to his neighbor down the road who told them the guy was on vacation and would be gone for a week or so. Too late now but I guess he has cameras all over his property now.

Boneyard51 likes this.