Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. I’m too poor to pass on a more door that would be in good shape. Wouldn’t be my first choice but beggars can’t be choosers! Besides, “4 doors for more whores!!”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I didn’t grow up around anyone that was into old cars. All I wanted when I was a kid was to buy an old car, fix it up and drive it. Wasn’t gonna happen in our house. So when I was able to, I didn’t care how many doors the old bombs I managed to grab had. Still don’t. In fact, my favorite vehicles have had no doors at all and only two wheels. But having little kids, the bigger the vehicle the better, (less chance of me getting it in the back of the head while they are fist-fighting in the back seat), so a big old Caddy 4 door is where it’s at for us.

3. v8flat44

v8flat44

Dave Mc likes this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Only when it comes to pre-48 cars and Porsche SUVs. Actually, I'll budge a bit when it goes up to
    '53 Fords, Chevys and Pontiacs, and I can't explain why on that second part. I grew up in a town
    where it seemed like there was a Model A sitting in a garage on every block. I don't question them
    when I see a rodded one, it's just natural. This is my all-time favorite magazine photo
    and the car's a four door. It looks great to me.

12 - Jerry Volavka -1931.jpg

Knghtcadi, Russ B and lumpy 63 like this.
  5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Awesome. Is that a gull wing Stinson ....love radial engines & fe ford motors......yupper!

egads and gnichols like this.
  6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm on the hunt for a 37-40 willys more door :cool:

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  7. I do like some 4 door wagons and early 30's sedans. That's about it for me with more doors

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. h.d.fire

h.d.fire

My all time dream car is a chopped '50 Merc. But that'll never be in my reach financially.
    When I found my 1950 Packard I felt it was as close as I might get, so it followed me home! It was in very good original condition and after adding a 350/350, power disc brakes and bagging the front it's a fun cruiser!

oldcarmike likes this.
  9. mountainman2

mountainman2

You need the one in post #51! ;)

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

11. primed34

primed34

Not really. Some of the pre '48s are kinda almost maybe ok but that's about it. Got parts off several tri-five four doors on my '55 two door sedan. We use to stand on top of four doors looking for the good stuff in junk yards.

Crazy Steve and quick85 like this.
  12. My first thought when looking at a project 4 door, is how I can convert it to a 2 door.
    My fiend picked up a 4 door station wagon when he was 15, we converted it to a 2 door before we could legally drive.
    2 too many....

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Just found this thread and NO my attitude towards 4drs has not changed, the cars above can not be considered in the same class as 4drs although they have that in common. These wagons are in a class of their own, on a par with Nomads and Safari wagons.

Pat

The37Kid likes this.
  14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

My 61 olds, its fun. I like it.

F218AC15-A1FC-40F6-A4E1-23A64E2A1494.jpeg

Sergio_54ford, Dave Mc, egads and 3 others like this.
  15. Here's my "parts car" that has been in the family for 30+ years. Of course I'd rather it was a coupe but it is what it is. Maybe I'll lower it someday... image.jpeg

16. Boatmark

Boatmark

I’ve always been of the opinion that cool cars (and trucks!) had two doors and three pedals. But I also like wagons and vans. Never could get past the Momma’s car thing of a four door.

I’m not all in with four doors now, but I’m really digging some of the pre-war stuff. Kinda reminds me of all those old black and white gangster movies I watched as a kid. And the reality is that any dream of a 32’-34’ in my budget will include lots of doors.

To me a lot of it is the look, and the quality of the build. I’ve seen some really sharp four doors, and some two doors that really (IMHO) really missed the Mark.

17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Nope. Never owned one and never will. I like to see 'em at shows, but not in my garage.

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

4 doors are more fun, worth less and you can drive them and tinker without having to worry about messing up a "nice" 2 door. paint gets scratched on a beater 4 door? who cares?

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Well 4doors an autotrannys were for grandmoms. But at my age now,there's some hot little old ladys out there,a few with Super Stock Dodges LOL

20. norms30a

norms30a

My dad bought a 47 Chevy coupe new and that is what I rode in as a kid and I thought all the 4 door cars were not "neat" like my dads car was. Later he bought a 64 Plymouth 2 door hardtop and I thought that was the neatest car ever. In the old hot rod magazines I saw coupes and roadsters so That is what I like, 2 door coupes, roadsters, and hardtops.

21. e z i

e z i

Back when I was a kid cruising on Friday and Saturday night, you'd get your ass kicked if you showed up in a four door.
    I'm still holding on to that rule..
    I may be wrong, but I suppose most guys would gladly trade their four door sedan for a two door of the same model, if given the chance, but I don't see it happening the other way around...

quick85 likes this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

For my hot rod side it’s two doors or nothin but if I go shopping for a restored pre ‘36 classic a four door would be fine.

23. Not unless it's a wagon. 55wagon2.jpg

rob-redm, BigO, Chavezk21 and 3 others like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still not a fan of 4 door sedans from the 40's or 50's but I'd have another 55/57 Buick 4door Hardtop or or a 55/57 Olds 4 door hardtop or 4 door hardtop wagon as a road car in an eye blink if I wasn't already swamped with projects.

25. Dyce

Dyce

They make perfect sleepers!! I had an ugly green 68 impala 4dr with a 377 stroker that embarrassed a few hotrod 2drs in its day.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like old cars.
    in this era Mopars shared the same roof profile whether 2 or 4 door. I think both these cars look good...2 and 4 door.

Copy of Scan1767.jpg dodges.jpg

quick85 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  27. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

I never cared much for 4 door cars at all growing up, actually looked at them as mainly donor cars. That changed after putting this one in our garage. ventura.PNG

MO_JUNK, Chavezk21, oldrelics and 4 others like this.
  28. inthweedz

inthweedz

Oh to be so lucky to have a choice..
    The majority of US cars imported into New Zealand back in the late 20's thru mid 60's were 4 doors, with a ''MINIMAL'' amount of 2 door sedans..
    Coupes were also bought in, and fewer survive due to the speedway and dirt trackers..
    If a car nut over here finds any old 4 door of American origin, it's like striking gold, whatever the make or model..
    A few years back I rescued an X dirt track 39 Chev coupe, and put it back on the road.
    I'm like the majority of the members here, I like coupes and 2 door sedans, but at present, have a 4 door sedan..
    So lots of rods here are 4 doors, although on saying that, lots of rodders are now importing 2 door cars from the USA..

29. They all feel the same from behind the wheel.

I actually want a '59 Pontiac 4-door hardtop, but of course the roof on those is one body style only.

Baumi likes this.
  30. I have always liked them. I had a '66 Caprice sleeper 4-door hardtop, put 283 badges on it which may have fooled a deaf person. I still have the 396, which is on deck to be built next. 4-doors were always good to go somewhere with a crowd and they blended in better.

Bruce Fischer likes this.