Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with 1940 Chevrolet windshield rubber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fopelaez, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Hello,
    I'm helping a friend install the windshield on a 1940 Chevy with outside moldings. We ordered from
    chevys of the 40's and I received two pieces. It appears from the instructions that this type of rubber is a two piece rubber and it is glued and retained with the garnish moldings. The other piece of rubber has two grooves, I'm assuming one for the pinchweld and one for the molding. Am I correct?
    I was expecting a rubber with three grooves like the 1956 F100 (one groove for the pinchweld, one for the glass and one for the exterior molding.
    Can someone help me out with this? Any hints for installing this rubber? any pictures?
    Thanks a lot!
    Fernando

Attached Files:

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Looks a lot like the one off of a 41 also. You put the rubber on the pinchweld with the moulding. The other part goes on the glass. The flat part on it goes against the flat part on the w/s with the moulding. You push it in from inside the car and the garnish moulding holds it all in place... Takes 6 hands up to this point. You have to use a sealer where the two weatherstrips mate up. About the hardest part is getting the first part with the moulding in place. Make sure you have the correct screws for the divider strip and all of the threaded holes have the threads cleaned out.

F&J and 302GMC like this.
  3. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Do you use silicone or any kind of adhesive to glue the two pieces together?