Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does this build belong here?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by radarsonwheels, Oct 22, 2018.

1. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

774075CE-8475-48B9-82DE-8635E1AF76EC.jpeg Howdy!

I’m building a 1954 3/4 ton dodge pickup truck. It’s channeled over a shortened frame with a big block stuffed through the firewall. It’s going to be too fast and ratty to be a fancy street rod and too clean and safe to be a ratrod (plus not festooned with beer taps and skulls...) There will be no billet or digital stuff except maybe msd ignition.

I did wrench on it and drive it for years 6volt with the 230 flathead 6 and 3 on the tree but I don’t know if it would need to be a little more 32 ford ish to ask questions or post build progress here? I end up learning a lot from searching posts here as I run into questions on my build.

Is post war content still traditional?

I post regularly on moparts and have a build thread on the p15d24 mopar flathead truck site- they’re surprisingly cool and helpful about the IFS OHV build. It just seems more engineering solutions and scratch building happens around here vs. the restoration and muscle focus of those sites. There’s skilled creative and experienced people are all over the internet for sure though, helping each other out.

Anyway, please let me know if my truck is not too late model for the hamb!

Radar

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Thinking you might wanna edit your post

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Scrub any words that are nontraditional and keep keeping on.

1927graham likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually your truck is changing my mind related to 50's Dodges. I sort of looked at them as a red headed stepchild but that one has the cool makings of something different. They are cheaper to buy around here too. :cool:

5. Just watch what you say. I don't talk much about the drive train on my hot rod. Beware of the Bias Ply Police. Welcome.

radarsonwheels, The37Kid and Sky Six like this.
  6. Xnay the frame swap and you will be OK. HRP

7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago there was a 55 or 56 around here with original as built 4 wheel drive with a hemi 2x2 intake

radarsonwheels likes this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

how long have you been waiting to use the word festooned?....and it's circular saw blades, and wrenches that the rodent rodders are using now:D

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. cool ride
    like them Dodges

radarsonwheels and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Don't post in the "traditional" section and mums the word on the frame.

radarsonwheels, upspirate and F&J like this.
  12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Whether it goes over here or no, its got a bitchin stance.
    Ignore that whole frame swap and RR talk, and I think youll be OK

radarsonwheels, upspirate and F&J like this.
  13. 5window

5window

Yeah, the frame will kill you. OTOH, you could have welded up a bunch of box and channel that just somehow ended up looking like the unmentionable frame you have and you'd have been fine.

14. cederholm

cederholm

Looks like fun!

15. Welcome ! We're neighbors. :)

16. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

54 truck ok 70s motor not ok frame fabrication ok chassis swap off topic. Got it I think. The frame is HEAVILY modified- more like a clip swap which I will not talk about either. I will only post about the 65 and back type hot rod stuff if I do have any questions.

Cheers

17. radarsonwheels and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. verde742

verde742

Let the picture do the talkin' and keep the hood down..

I really like it !!

radarsonwheels and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Good looking truck, I like the old Dodge cars and trucks. I'm glad you didn't put a S10 frame under it.

20. upspirate

upspirate

You got it without getting your panties in a wad like some others on here.
    BTW I always though the early (other than early '30's)Dodge trucks were ugly, but that year and yours esp has some nice lines

21. Dang there goes the BBC thread and all 350s and 302s
    I guess all P&J parts should go.they are post 64

Sarcasm is my super power

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    mountainman2 and radarsonwheels like this.
  22. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Yeah I have been a member for a while now!

I joined this forum a long time ago when I first got this truck. Since then it went through a lot of changes, mostly traditional like fenton headers, some OT post 65 like power 4 wheel discs and seatbelts.

I get the pre-65 thing it just gets blurry for me because I mostly only come to the hamb to search the archives. Most recently I was looking at three universal joint steering shafts- I had to do one to make it around my headers.
    I was finding lots of posts talking about rack and pinion steering and other post 65 equipment.

After I finished my rear suspension (leaf setup fabricated from scratch for beefy springs I had laying around) I found the springs were too saggy for the very slightly raked stance I want. I wanted to find out more about air over leafs and guess which site had the most info in the archives? The hamb. (I’m gonna keep full leaf pack with helper bags- full strength for no wrap but fully adjustable ride height best of both worlds- OT but learned here)

In my shop we have a sign “no kids, no cellphones”. All kinds of people bring their kids and their cellphones and I’m totally cool with it but when you get a loud talking inconsiderate jerk or somebody’s brat wants to make noise or touch everything I can politely point to the sign.

I think real 50s (or earlier!!) style prewar builds with all antique parts scrounged from piles of greasy treasure are the coolest thing in the world and the last thing I want to do is argue with anybody here about how my build is traditional or ‘why is it ok for him but not me’ type bs.

Thanks for the warm welcome- mods please understand I am just trying to explain why I asked. I’m not here to push any boundaries I will certainly not be posting about off topic subjects and appreciate what y’all are trying to do here.

If this thread needs to dissappear I am cool with that too.

Thanks
    Radar

23. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

ps I edited the curse words out of my intro!

5window likes this.