Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I would have preferred a Coupe or Cabriolet , Beggars can't be choosers. it's ok now.

Genoa_09_Picnic2.jpg IMG_0918.JPG

BigO, scott27, LOU WELLS and 10 others like this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

The only 4-door I would have is a 1933-34 ply,dodge,or ford. Had a 33ply and I regret trading it off now!:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Most of my old cars have been 4 doors I like them.
    I’m younger then a lot of you guys and missed the cheap “ good cars” so 4 door have always been in my price range.
    I drive the wheels off em , they are comfy and fit the whole crew.

And now that I have kids it’s just logical

C07F8F4F-ADAE-4350-8621-4DAAE11E150A.jpeg

4. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Some four doors just have something a little extra. But I appreciate a tasteful four door. Yes, I miss this one. New owner just loves it. Gary impala-1.jpg

5. I have Had about 3 50 Merc's 2 door Coupes Choped & when you
    have somebody in the Back seat trying to get out ............its a Bitch
    Its hard to see to see the signal Light
    But I always Kept my 4 door Not Chopped, put the Kid's in the Back seat
    and away you Go.,
    People like my Suicide Doors

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

OG lil E and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. I like wagons, and the years of the ones I have only came in 4 dr models, which I'm just fine with. Like I say, I have room for me, 5 of my asshole buddies and beer. It's all good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hated them when I was a kid, back in the '60's ("diving daddy's car" ?), but came to appreciate them when my kids were young. My vehicle of choice is, and always has been, pre-war, fat-fendered coupes - now that it's just the wife & I, that's all I have are coupes.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

No, in High School anyone driving a 4 dr. was driving a Momma's car. While I agree there's some beautiful 4 doors and Wagons running around and appreciate the work invested in them, I've never desired to own one and still don't.
    There's some great reasons to own one, just not for me. To each his own. That's what makes the world spin.

9. I really liked both my Deuce 4 doors and if the right one came down the road I would own another one. HRP

upload_2018-10-22_11-31-19.jpeg

upload_2018-10-22_11-33-3.jpeg

big bird, BigO, scott27 and 13 others like this.
  10. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I used to think of 4 doors as only parts cars, but then I saw some pretty good 2 door conversions. There are a some examples of cool 4 doors like Eldorado Broughams and 60s Continental as well as hearses, limos, hardtop wagons, and dual cowl phaetons though. Sucide doors are cool and it does make for a nice image when the doors on a 4 door open away from each other though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. adam401

adam401

With car prices coming down as is often discussed and fretted about here it seems there would be no need to have to buy a 4 door unless you really want one which I do not.

12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

We added the rear door to my Model A Tudor sedan....For years I have seen Model A owners fight with coolers, lawn chairs and getting extra stuff into the their Tudor sedans. So we fabricated the rear door and it makes it much easier to live with. Same principal. Now it's a three door. Gary LARRY-1.jpg

Ace61, BigO, LOU WELLS and 10 others like this.
  13. I only like 4 doors on 64 Lincoln Continentals and assorted station wagons...
    my preference is for 2 doors and two seats in my play cars...
    Chappy

14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I had quite a few pre-‘52 four doors. They seemed what was most available in old cars in my area. Would have missed out on a lot of nice cars if I passed on four doors.

A few of the four doors are pretty attractive to me; ‘37 Ford slant back, Chevy Fleetline 1942 thru 1952, 1937 Cord and 1941 Graham (same body), 1956 and ‘57 Chevy Bel Aire sport sedan (4 door hardtop), to name a few.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. leon bee

leon bee

Don't forget Hudson Hornets. The extra doors on them never did bother me.

OG lil E and tinsled like this.
  16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Real hot rods and muscle cars have 2 doors. Grocery getters have 4. I'm not saying I don't like them, that's just the way it was growing up in the 60's. Only your mom and dad drove a 4 door, mine did, the "cool" cars had 2 doors.

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Of all the cars I've owned, only one had four doors and that was a 62 Chevy wagon. I Consider that OK as Chevy didn't make a two door wagon in 62. No Bueno on any other four doors.

Gary

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  18. Back in the 50's it was what ever you Made it a Kustom or a Hotrod

or Both a Kustom with Modified Engine or all out Race Car!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

19. Never have been a fan of 4 door cars. Though a 4 door sedan will always be cooler to me than a wagon. I have never like station wagons, Nomads, Ranch wagons, etc. Always prefer the car with a trunk lid.

20. As the 2 doors of all the popular body styles are used up or destroyed there will be no other alternative.
    I personally am not a fan unless its a wagon, a hardtop or has suicide doors.
    They usually have a dorky roofline compared to the 2 door.
    I do like a 32-34 Ford moredoor, there are some real nice examples on this site.
    I assume that most of these are built cuz the builder couldn't find an affordable coupe or roadster.

21. I found that I couldn't afford a decent 2 dr when I was shopping for my last car. I found my 56 Town Sedan for much less than I would paid for a rough 2 dr.
    One thing I noticed at that time was that I could have bought Model A Tudors for quite a bit less than similarly nice 4 doors. I'm not looking for anymore but is this normal, 4 door Model A sedans being worth more than 2dr sedans?

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

sorry, but no 4 doors

Gman0046 likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really nice 1928-1930 Model A Fordors are worth a lot due to the cost or replacing the body wood. Some kits start around $5,000. Bob

Bleach likes this.
  24. 392

No.....not really.

25. I always prefer two door cars for their cleaner design. Extra door handles and the extra pillar on many four door sedans detracts from a clean design. A few mid fifties four door hardtops look nice, but they are the exception. But I have had a few newer family car four doors. Tesla door handles are clean and make their four door vehicles look better than most. Some folks have body color on their Tesla door handles and they almost disappear.

26. I was born in the 40's but never really began to categorize cars during that decade.
    I started driving in the 60's and 2-door hardtops were definitely the Holy Grail. 4-doors were last place. there was no second or third place.
    I turned 21 in the 60's and like all red-blooded, American boys, marched right down to the car dealer and signed my own damn car note, shove the post and the extra 2 doors where the moon don't shine, thank you.
    Now that I'm old and grumpy, I can appreciate that 4-doors (and wagons) exist. Like the Tin Man, I now need plenty of penetrants to fold up to be inserted into a vehicle. However, the 21-year-old, who still lives in the dark, dusty corners of my brain, is imprinted like a baby duck to love 2-door hardtops and hate 4-doors. He (the 21-year old) will not rationalize, cop out, cheap out, or cry "sour grapes". Last place is still last place.
    I don't mean to insult my betters, but some of you have pulled the wool over your own eyes, for sure. :oops:

Now, having insulted half the people in the room, I'll say I guess that there are degrees of coolness with 4-doors. Prewar cars pull it off the best. Those that swing apart from the middle, even with the occasional post, bend the mind in a positive direction, too. 4-door hardtops are posers but they can help you forget the 'old man vibe' to a large degree. It's a lot harder to say something nice about wagons but at least you can say "nice wagon" on occasion. I can also appreciate the 4-door aficionados because that takes them out of play for the remaining 2-doors. :p
    It doesn't bother me that you like 4-doors. It just bothers me that the 21-year-old in you has left the building. You like 'em 'cause you're old and/or you're lifestyle is old. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    jaw22w, i.rant, Bruce Fischer and 3 others like this.
  27. egads

egads

I've had this one almost 30 years and put 80,000 miles on it. Kid's call it the vacation car, been all over the place in comfort with the family. (Other cars are 2 doors though)[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  28. 34Larry

34Larry

Well HPR...………….……………..quick answer...……………………….sometimes

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no body style, brand, or door count on any pre 1960 American car or truck that I would not have a good time owning driving and playing with. don't like my car? the line to kiss my ass starts to the left.

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 doors are cool if they're hardtops or wagons. That's it. They make great parts cars too!

Gman0046 likes this.