Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has your attitude concerning 4 doors changed over the years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 21, 2018.

1. When I was a teenager a 4 door sedan was not cool, it was ok for your mom or your grandparents but I wanted a coupe or a 2 door sedan.

Now that I am a old fart I have grown to appreciate the extra doors, not only with passengers entering & exiting but loading all the necessity's for a road trip in the back seat especially with the 1928 through the 1934 Ford mordors.

Having had a couple of 4 door Deuces I have started looking at them more as a good looking car and not like parts cars.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees the beauty in these once shunned cars.

I also know a lot of younger guys that have gotten in the hot rod and custom car hobby grew up with 4 doors and readily except them. HRP

2. Budget36

Budget36

Yep. Mainly about tri-5 Chevy’s. I too used to just look at 4 doors as parts. Times are a changing.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm more lenient but it has to have balance. I don't like when the rear door glass dwarf's the front door glass.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I purposely bought my Buick as a family car. Much easier to get kids strapped into the car seat with the rear doors.

5. HRP..........I bought this Oz 1940 Dodge 4dr sedan originally to use as a parts car for the Oz 1940 Dodge coupe I had bought & pulled apart as all 15yr olds do.........it was too good for that so after 47 yrs I think I'll keep it.............lol..........its been used as a daily driver, shopping car, and bringing home the 3 kids from hospital as well as cleaning out the cobwebs in a 64yr olds car.......4drs are o/k........andyd

Attached Files:

6. 270ci

270ci

There's a few 4 doors that I've really warmed up to. This is one.

DSC_0327.JPG

JimSibley, wicarnut, BigO and 19 others like this.
  7. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Ill never have a 4 door car. I like some of them, but I don't want to ever own one.

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

I had a 64 Cadillac 62 series 4dr HT several years ago. I would take another one in a New York minute! I actually prefer it over a 2dr.

9. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I purposely bought my sedan for the 4 doors.
    [​IMG]

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hate bending into Gumby shapes to let someone out of the back seat.

11. Slopok

Slopok

There was a time when I couldn't understand why they even made them. Today I won't even buy a Pick up truck that doesn't have 4 doors!

Dan Hay, kbgreen, OG lil E and 4 others like this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Nope.... Hate em now more than ever.

Muttley, -Brent-, loosewheel and 14 others like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

4 dr hard tops and any 4 dr car order then 1940 have become cool in the last 10 years. I think it is because you don't see them all the time any more. When they were common place they were not desirable. Now they are.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was the same way as far as 4 doors and wagons were a the older a grandparents type cars. I have grown to appreciate o/t 4 doors for convenience and a 2 door wagon is starting too seep into the my way of thinking, but maybe a souped up wagon for swapmeets. As for old cars , a Model T center door are starting to look a bit more cooler but a hot rod to me Tudor or a coupe. A 4 door sedan still makes me think it is a family/off to work we go type.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My first car was a black 61 Impala Sport Sedan (4dr ht), swore I'd never own a four door again, then Chevrolet built one that I could own, so I bought one, a 96 Impala SS four door.
    Now if I could find one of those 61 Impala four door Super Sports.

16. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Had a 40 Ford 4 dr sedan years ago. Bought it as a parts car for a 2 dr sedan I had at the time. 10 bucks for the car and another 10 to get it towed home by the local wrecker guy.

Kept the hood, front fenders, and associated parts. Sold one of the front doors to a local body shop that was fixing a wrecked 40 coupe. Scrapped the rest for the most part.

The sad part is, the 2 dr I was working on at the time was a real junk pile and that 4 dr had one of the most perfect, totally straight and rust-free bodies I've ever seen, and the interior was as nice as the body. Had those god awful clear plastic seat covers on the seats and the door panels, and the upholstery under them was like new. Perfect unmolested dash with everything there including the optional clock.

Back then, a 4 dr anything didn't rate anything more than an UGH!! Now I hate to even think I was the dummy who scrapped that 40.

One odd thing though.... Last time I was in the basement at my dad's house about a year ago I saw a couple wheels off that 4 dr sitting in a corner. One of them has a Gulf tire on it that's still holding air. Best I can recall, I bought and scrapped that car in 1970, and that tire was worn out then and I only saved it for the wheel. I'm guessing its still holding air just to remind me of my sometimes foolish past :)

17. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

My attitude hasn't changed---I'm still in love with Four Doors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Either one...No problem!!

Jay71, 34toddster, kbgreen and 16 others like this.
  18. BJR

BJR

GM 4dr Ht wagons are sooooooo cool.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4 doors. station wagons (except 55-6-7 Chevy 2 doors) and any truck that was not a short bed stepside were for old people or those weird restorer guys to drive around in in my formative years back in the 70's.

now that I am old and have grown as a person door count does not bother me. I bought a 4 door on purpose once.

OG lil E and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only 4 door I would consider owning is a hardtop or wagon, especially a wagon. But a 4 door sedan, nope, not then, not now.

21. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Only on 32,33,and34s.

22. I used to think they were only for old folks. Now that I'm older, I think they're just lame. YMMV

23. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Extra doors on a car are good for old people and families with kids but not for rods or customs. I do have a 4dr. Hollywood Graham only because they did not make a 2dr.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I need to do something on my '29 Steelback project. Bob

[​IMG]

BigO, chryslerfan55, Phillips and 4 others like this.
  25. The '29 steelback, that The37Kid posted is the exception to the rule. That's a pretty sexy rendering...

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you! I just need to motivate myself to do something on it. Bob

27. Well, here comes that CT winter, Bob. Get to cracking, while you're snowed in. I'd love to see that come together.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time I looked down on 4door cars.
    Today I own 6 Coupes or 2 dr sedans and the car I have driven 30k miles in 3 years is the 4dr 55. Best car I ever had. I even made a removable Trailer hitch for it. Tows fine with its 235, great on Gas, easy to fix ( Never broke down on me)Today I look down on people staring into their smartphone while tailgating me in their 2018 computerized plastic shitbox....
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  29. 4 door Chevy II straight axle Gasser, at our Dragstrip Riot, Saturday morning. Wish I would have taken a picture of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There are only a few 4-doors that grab me. '32 Fords, '56 Ford 4dr Victorias, and 37Kid's '29.