Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who really loves wiring ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 21, 2018.

1. patterg2003

patterg2003

Blue One. After all the great work you have done I am confident that you will master the wiring. No problem. It is different and outside the wheel house but in reality it is a just another process. Everything in your build has been a well thought out methodical processes and the wiring is the same. Don't get a mental block and get in your own way because it is just wiring.
    Start with a sketch of the electrical schematic so that the circuits make sense and you become comfortable with wire sizes, fuses, breakers etc.. Label the wire colours on your schematic, make sure the wire has the amp capacity for the service and wire length. That is a beginning plan and step one of the process. Step 2 is to do a sketch of your RPU and where those wires terminate. Could do some mock of runs with coloured masonry string to get an idea of lengths and where the wires can be routed. Once you have the picture in your head of how the circuits work and the routing then work the plan. Bundle the wires so they are tidy, easily traced and make it well laid out so it looks clean. Tidy wiring will make the work look professional. Leave a little slack so there is always enough wire at the terminations on both ends to allow slack for future changes or be able to replace parts using the original wiring. Be conscious of securing the wires, protecting them from vibration and use grommets passing through metal. Enjoy the work and when it gets to you then take a break. Often inspiration comes to me when I have walked away from something that was frustrating so I can go back an overcome.

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  2. If I'm starting from scratch I like it a bunch. Fixing someone else's is another story. I need to replace the wiring in my 50 and I will probably tear everything out. Previous owner did it all in two colors. I like The American Autowire kits, laid out nice with good directions.
    If I wire something wrong at work at the very least it costs my company money. Worst case is a bunch more serious. Take your time and recheck everything, twice.

lothianwilly71, loudbang and deucemac like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When customers cars come into my shop, the wiring looks like spaghetti. When they leave. All neat and tidy. I enjoy it. Plus it gives me a reason for me to buy more tools and supplies for my shop. Someone must find the pic`s of the back side of the dash of Tom McMullen`s Roadster. His company`s name was something like E M D.
    Ditto.

loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wiring is one of the easier tasks of rod building. Sure beats rust repair.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

AEE...... Automotive Electrical Engineering AEE was a side job business for McMullen where he wired cars after working at a day job at another company called Automotive Electronic Engineering. They were an instrument repair shop IIRC. Since he already had the AEE business set up, when he started his chopper bike business, he called it AEE Choppers.

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Hay I got 1 letter right.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll add that what I like about American Autowire is how complete the kits I’ve used are. More terminal and instruction options than you’ll need, but you’ll have the ones you do need. Instructions for various common options, like HEI or MSD, add on harnesses for power windows and locks. I know that’s not typical here, but some of my buddies have different taste.

Looking at the wiring board above, I’ve found it helpful to get a piece of cardboard and make a simple drawing- headlights, taillights engine, etc. Then I group the wires for the basic routing. Blue tape or double sided Velcro let you make bundles,plan the layout, and make changes. If the dash or cluster comes out I do it on the bench and buy some multi prong connectors from an electronic shop just for that. Much easier to plug in laying under a dash at my age. Same if there’s a complicated radio/sound system. And as stated above, grounds everywhere, back to the battery. The corrosion between old body parts interrupt the ground path and drive you crazy later.

I do more for friends than for my own, and some of them are street roddy guys with all the bells and whistles. Which they only seem to remember as we go along.

Atwater Mike and wraymen like this.
  8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

You were pretty close. EMD is the division of GM that built diesel electric locomotives. Same sorta stuff, just heavier wire :D

stanlow69 likes this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I don’t mind wiring at all . I have done many with salvaged numbered wires from boiler control room after an up date . I worked with many union electricians , they were like a lost puppy with an automotive wiring issue . You just have to remember auto circuits must flow in a circle from plus and return to ground . A short is just a short path to ground . An open circuit is as it states no return to ground . I don’t do well with late model stuff that computer controlled , give me the stuff a Hot Rod is made of and I can wire it . Hell my first Harley was the damn easiest wiring I have ever seen , no ign switch or anything , it was know as the 2 wire twist and light it off on go .

loudbang likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love wiring. It'd rather start from scratch than sign in on af,'d install. It is like paint, motor work, brakes, etc. Done right, it is enjoyable, sometimes perplexing, and always fulfilling as ordering the perfect pizza and a great night of sex. Just saying.

Plan your work, work your plan

loudbang, trollst and Blue One like this.
  11. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I love wiring from scratch; figuring out the component placement, circuit routing, how things work etc..

I tolerate fixing other peoples wiring snafu's.

I dislike using any pre-made kit that has one end of the wire already terminated at the panel.

I think people who use one color of wire (all red, all yellow, all black etc.) to do the entire vehicle are stupid. This seemed to be a real 'thing' back in the 80's. I just had a car here that was all black wire. 10 times more difficult to trace circuits. Bah!

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Where and what the wires do not scare me. Kitchen tables make great lay out boards when living alone.

13. It’s one of my favorite things to do, I have never used a kit, I have always wired stuff from scratch, wired the 57 Fargo at 16, even enjoyed building a new harness for it last year, older and wiser now. Everything worked just wasn’t as neat as I’m capable of now. Larry, I can’t help with the decision of which kit to use but have no doubt it will be top notch when you are done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_2410.JPG
    I usually wire mine from scratch. I make up a fuse panel card for each car/truck that tells which fuse goes to what.
    One card in vehicle; other in car file in office. One panel is hot all the time, the second is powered through the relay based on the ignition key being ON. Horn relay included for simplicity. I usually make up a "harness" which consists of 5 wires in plastic wire loom to run to the back of the car along the chassis and a similar "harness" that goes to the front for headlights(High and Low), turn signals, horns, maybe a fan relay. Engine gets the same for wires to sending units, elec. choke, etc; including ignition. Taking time and thinking wiring for the whole area through beforehand can save a lot of time. I like this approach because there is no potential "mystery" component from any wiring company and it is very simple... which I tend to handle best.;):D:D
    Cheap, too.

loudbang likes this.
  15. i'm one of those stupid guys that wires a car in all one color

RICH B likes this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Easier to trace than the guy who changes the color of wire 3 different times for each length run.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In order of preference I like:
    1. Engine building
    2. Chassis and frame work
    3. Wiring
    4. Eating sawdust and pooping out 2X4's
    5. Taking a skunk out of a live trap
    6. Having pneumonia
    7. Sliding down a mile-long razor blade and landing in a vat of lemon juice
    8. Politics
    9. Bodywork and painting

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hate you ;). Not because you can, because if I was ask to follow work like that I'd refuse.

34toddster likes this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Love is a pretty strong word for how I feel about wiring. I've done a lot of automotive wiring in my day. Its something I can do, but don't love to do.

Its also I need to concentrate fully on, interruptions mean going back and following through again for me. As such, I will do one circuit at a time from the fuse box to the item, and then to ground, before I move to the next circuit. It takes a little more time, but has never failed me yet.

Circuits with computers take everything to another level, I would prefer a diagram with the computer pin outs telling my where the wires go, and what they do. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  20. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have known my Dad. He was an electrician, and only used scrap wire on his projects. Fine for him, he remembered. Not so good for the rest of us.

loudbang, stanlow69 and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. trollst

trollst

I might add, GROUNDS, one from engine to frame, frame to body, battery to engine, engine to body, I make mine out of ten gauge, you can't have enough grounds.

22. I find wiring to be pretty easy and look forward to wiring or rewiring a vehicle. Repairing a botched wiring harness on a vehicle is another story and usually not very rewarding; there's always more that needs to be done.

You've been given some good advice already. Find an appropriate place to mount the fuse box and then start to lay out the wire bundles in the direction they need to go. Think ahead and pre-plan what you're going to do and where the wires need to go for each circuit (like don't end up with the fuel sending unit wire out under the hood with the rest of the gauge sender wires). I also test each circuit, or circuit group, as I go, making sure everything is working before securing or wrapping harnesses. Take your time, do one wire at a time and before you know it it will be done.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  23. I like it, but I don't like trying to hide it......I'm too big to be in small places :).

I've wired lots from scratch, but with the cost of MULTIPLE colors of wires, connectors, fuse boxes, etc.. the Rebel kits make sense. That said, the '28 is getting a home built harness that's cloth covered, I bought a Rebel kit for the '56 panel and won a harness at the Ace poker run last year for the Hillman.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  24. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I quite enjoy wiring, it's the contortionism I'm rather less keen on.

Chris

texasred, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Baptism by fire.
    Wired my first project from scratch using a junkyard fuse box. This was when you first seen the very expensive Ron Francis kits on the market.

The kits are the tits.
    One word of advice.
    Do not keep any more than two extra circuits that you don’t have use for.
    My second wiring job was a kit, I kept all the extra circuits in the bundles. Had a hell of a time tucking and fishing wiring bundles through tight spaces.

It takes a bit of patience and work pulling out unused wire. But you’ll be glad you did.

26. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I was an aircraft electrician in the service and 30 years in aircraft industry wiring f4s, f15s c17s so cars are nothing.

firstinsteele likes this.
  27. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

why?

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, the deed is done, I called American Autowire and they answered all my questions regarding integration of all my components.
    After that I called up Summit and ordered their Hiway 15 kit (American Autowire) and an AA grounding kit too. :cool:

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I don't like it. It goes through a few stages.
    Oh hell, panic, blood pressure, subdued anger.
    Well crap, where does this go, if I do it this way, follow the path, its like water.
    Ok, assemble the darn thing and lets see what we get.
    Replace the fuse.
    Try it again, VICTORY.
    Conquer the electric demon.

30. Let me know how much you want for the Rebel kit I might be interested for a future project.

Blue One likes this.