Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who Was That Named After?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Oct 18, 2018.

1. XXL__

XXL__

My skin crawls every time I hear one of those Saturday morning car show knuckleheads pronounce it in their best redneck voice... "pan-hard." I don't expect them to speak Parisian French, but at least try to say it right.

blowby and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Haha! Youse all got it wrong.
    When panning for gold the lightweight sediments "wash out" of the pan. This is a similar effect to a car washing out mid corner. So a panhard bar makes it "harder to pan"
    This has nothing to do with the fact that it was plagiarised decades earlier by the Panhard et Levasser company.
    [This is the truth according to barstool engineers]

What about the most famous invention of all......The Brodie knob! [after the suicidal idiot called Steve Brodie]
    Brodie Knob Mounted on Steering Wheel.jpg
    His fantastic contribution to the Automobile was blatantly plagiarised by some "rubber neckers" [hence the counterfeit "necker knob"]

Stogy likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

A Carson Top is a padded non folding top designed and built by Carson Top Shop. The first Carson Top was designed and built by Glen Houser in 1935. This top was built for a 1930 Ford Model A Convertible. Carson tops were made between 1935 and 1965.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Years ago, I subscribed to "Truckin". One article was about suspension. The genius author said that when the frame moves from side to side, it is called "panning". the solution, of course was to install a Panhard bar. In his limited thought process, a Panhard bar makes it hard to pan. Talk about making shit up. The very same issue had a 53 F-100 with a "full race Offenhauser" engine. A flatty with Offy heads. I did not re up my subscription

deucemac, blowby, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  5. Rich S.

Rich S.

IMG_2090.JPG

Here’s his great nephew

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

AC spark plug = Albert Champion Spark Plug
    Albert Champion = Champion Spark Plug

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Cragar Wheels comes from the first three letters in the original owners name, Crane Gartz

Bandit Billy, deucemac, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my best Johnny Carson voice "I did not know that!":D

dan31, 49ratfink and Stogy like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

WIX Filters was founded in an old cotton mill in Gastonia by Jack Wicks and his business partner, Paul Crenshaw, who needed an inexhaustible supply of pure white cotton thread waste for the filtering media of their new company. At the time, Gastonia and Gaston County produced more combed cotton yarn than anywhere else in the world.

Wicks and Crenshaw soon saw a need for filter replacements that would simplify the filter changing process and, within 15 years, they turned the filter market upside down with the invention and patent of a spin-on oil filter design – known at the time as “twist of the wrist” – that quickly became the industry standard.

10. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. George Lyon, inventor of the add-on white wall tire, tire chains and 58 other automotive and marine patents......

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    blowby, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used in Canadian Model A's & Model T's?

The Robertson Screw

[​IMG]

The Fisher Body company, which made the car bodies for the Ford Motor Company, was one of Robertson's first customers and used over 700 Robertson screws in its Model T car. Henry Ford, after finding that the screw saved him about 2 hours of work for each car, attempted to get an exclusive licence for the use and manufacture of the Robertson screw in the US. He was turned down by Robertson who felt it was not in his best interest and shortly after that, Ford found that Henry F. Phillips had invented another kind of socket screw and had no such reservations.

Anybody confirm the Model A Ford I wasn't aware of the Model T it may be Both...:confused:

0_20170715_103945.jpg

The Ole Hotrod is not Canadian Built but this is the Plant were it all happened in Milton, Ontario, Canada

In 1908, P. L. Robertson began to manufacture a square recess impression in the head of a screw in Milton, Ontario, Canada.​

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and Rich S. like this.
  15. This type of screw head is still in use today, many motor home and boat builders use them....

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct Rick this fastener company still exists today and of course has a complete line of fasteners with the trademark Square headed feature.

One of the links I posted is their website which also includes the history.

So despite a disconnect with Henry in the early Ford years they managed to be a successful enterprise.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how come all of these products were made by people with cool names. what if Henry Fords name was Henry Lipshits? would you buy a Lipshits?

18. BJR

BJR

Because people with bad last names didn't name their invention after themselves.:rolleyes:

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

...They did in England, unfortunately. I guess some people bought a "Horbick Dogcart".

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Bugguts like this.
  20. XXL__

XXL__

Every car owner uses them...

whytoiletiscalledcrapper1.jpg

images_image-5--new-thomas-crapper-lowlevel-wc-set-22-1171-5.jpg

Thomas Crapper (baptised 28 September 1836; died 27 January 1910) was a plumber who founded Thomas Crapper & Co in London. He was noted for the quality of his products and received several royal warrants.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah that doesn't have a great ring to it...it gets a bit like Hollywood. Drum up a cool name and act a little and your a Star...shows a diversity in the big picture though...remember people who drafted or created components for the Big companies were just like the employees part of the engine with less or no notoriety.

This is not always the case as some components were Named by Manufacturer as special, highly regarded and perhaps part of special contract agreements. Many high rollers in industry back then.

Rich S. and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. GTS225

GTS225

********************************************************************************

Well, now this thread is headed for the toilet. :D

Roger

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess the garage for this could have been called the doghouse. Who knows maybe some of those sayings like runs like a dog may have came from stuff like that.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shitbox aside...:rolleyes:...I always enjoy the history of these mechanical components of the Hotrod/Custom we constantly are turning on, sitting in, listening to or looking at. Purpose built or not I am sure many have paid a hefty price for that part designed many moons ago by a well known or little known genius...;)

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's even more interesting how many things crossover the makeover to Hotrod/Custom without modification or could be called timeless or bulletproof.

Looks, wear ability and longevity was part of the genius.

26. XXL__ likes this.
  27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in the late 70's a local guy had a muffler shop with a sign out front "We remove catholic converts" used to have a picture of the sign but can't find it, EPA reps were not amused:(

Truck64 likes this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hurst Performance was originally named Hurst-Campbell. The company was established in 1958 as an auto repair shop when George Hurst was a young man. An older man named Lawrence Greenwald (who is credited, among other things, as one of the inventors of stretch nylon hosiery), took certain cars from his collection to Hurst's shop for repair. Greenwald saw promise in Hurst and decided to finance him in a venture to manufacture large aftermarket bumpers for VW buses, which were becoming increasingly popular.

When Volkswagen began manufacturing its own large bumpers for the buses, Hurst-Campbell branched out into the piston-driven gearshift business. They also manufactured, at various times, engine mounts, wheels, and shift knobs in addition to its line of gearshifts.

The company's research department developed and invented the Jaws of Life. The company gave away the patent for this device without compensation.

By the early 1960s, Hurst transmission shifters and other products had become legendary in auto racing, particularly in drag racing, and among custom car makers. Many automobile enthusiasts replaced flimsy factory shifters (and steering column shifters, as well) with Hurst floor shifters to obtain better control of gear selection, particularly for competitive driving.[4]As automotive historian Mike Mueller noted, "If you didn't have a Hurst shifter in your supercar, you were a mild-mannered loser."[4] General Motors' official policy up to that time had prohibited the use of the names of outside vendors on GM products. Pontiac Division manager Elliot "Pete" Estes convinced the corporation that having the Hurst name on its cars' shifters would be an effective sales tool. Various Pontiac models had already been equipped with Hurst shifters from the factory, but the Hurst name did not actually appear on Pontiac shifters until 1965. Hurst's shifters were so good that U.S. automakers were forced to offer Hurst branded gear sticks on their muscle car models, although at the time they preferred manufacturing their own parts rather than outsourcing.

xalfaracer, Boneyard51, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  29. Interesting post on the Wix Filter being founded here in my home town Gastonia NC...The Offices and manufacturing plants are here .. (Among many other places globally)
    Also ,Theres also a post on the Hurst Jaws Of Life.. They are made locally also.. In Shelby NC , just a few clicks up H/wy 74...may be their only plant ,not sure...
    Amazing how many products are made right in your own backyard...
    Stan

Stogy likes this.
  30. What about the knuckle head that dreamed up the knuter valve! :rolleyes: HRP

BJR and chryslerfan55 like this.