Register now to get rid of these ads!

So it begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FuturamicOldsmobile, Oct 20, 2018.

1. The time has come to get moving on my 48 olds motor is supa stuck I might put a 350 in it if the motor is trash I’m rewiring as of now[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] yes I know it looks like spaghetti but I know what I’m doing lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  2. You must be a electrician, it's rare when you see wire nuts used in automotive wiring. :D HRP

3. Slopok

Slopok

We ALL did when we were 19!:eek:

CudaChick1968 and belair like this.
  4. What’s with the tooth paste in number 1 cylinder?

All red wires and marrettes ?!?
    You may have a plan and that’s great, but I’ve found in my own experience running all wires the same colour makes diagnosing an issue in the future a bit of a pain.

But hey it’s your car and your making progress so that’s something !!:D

5. The toothpaste is silicone i used to make a little dam so it could hold penetrating fluid. I’m going with red for wires that have constant 6v or where it passes I’m using black for grounding wires. The wires will be hidden by heat shrink

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Yeah I may be younger but I like to think that I know what I’m doing even though sometimes I may not

7. I have a 1951 Chevy 3100 I had to do the same thing to runs Great drove it today

8. Those aren’t permanent I’m using them as markers for when I cut a wire who do you think I am a Maniac lol

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. All red and black wires should make trouble shooting down the road entertaining.....

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  10. Hey it works for me I refurbish iMacs and all the wires they use are black I’m splicing into the original harness so I can use that for help I’m not going to buy 5 spoils of wire and write each one down

11. upspirate

upspirate

I was young once and knew it all......
    Glad you are into the old cars though

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  12. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Just looking at the pic's the cylinders don't look all that bad as far as rust goes in order for it to be stuck all that solid. Could the bearings be seized? What caused the engine to freeze up in the first place?

13. Clearly you have everything figured out, good luck with the car.

14. slv63

slv63

Cool project. What’s the rest of the car look like?

15. BJR

BJR

Lets see some pictures of the rest of the car! Hope you get the engine unstuck.

16. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

You might want to try the atf/acetone mix suggested in other threads to free it up. I agree the cylinders look pretty good. It may take some time.

Having common hot or grounds in electronics is not the same as multiple systems in a car. Seeing everything in a computer is not the same as trouble shooting a vehicle. There is definately a reason manufacturers spend the money for color coded wiring.

Great you are into doing your Olds. Using the experience and knowledge of others can be a lot less painful than doing your own thing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    upspirate likes this.
  17. Everyone here is appreciated and when I redo the wiring before I die to hand it off to the next generation so they don’t go wtf that idiot. yes I have 50/50 atf and acetone they are shiny because I used a hone to remove the rust so when it does break free it won’t hurt the rings

18. Yes the car is very cool has a helms bumber guard sun visor (not Fulton) and rain guards I’ll post more pictures today

19. The car is so very solid the floors are in great shape

20. Time has caused the engine to lock up been parked since 1968.
    Having aluminum pistons in a iron block doesn’t help any

21. belair

belair

bumper. Cool car, I have a 324 short block (new) if you want to go all Olds.

22. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

There's a '68 455 in my basement ready to go ...
    But it needs some wiring. << poke the bear :D>>

upspirate likes this.
  23. Well thanks guys I really want to try to get the in-line 8 running if possible I’m thinking I’m going to have to pull it in order to do that hopefully not though the acetone seems to be working as the level is going down slowly

24. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I included a picture of my 51 Chevy truck daily driver so you can see what my stuff ends up looking like once I repaint them

25. You can just see how good the floors are the black factory paint is still on them!

26. Stooge

Stooge

Always really liked those cars, and I've tried to buy late 40s/early 50s Oldsmobile's a few times, but they always get away. Looks real solid and I bet it would clean up nice with some CLR and scotchbrite to get the crust off the top on the body, and no need to reiterate, but I would also definitely add a few different color wires to make things a bit more manageable.

Good luck with the engine, hope you free it up! it will definitely be a cool car!

27. It's really easy to put an Olds 303 or 324 in that car. Really easy. There are a lot of them around. Be sure to join the Oldsmobile Club. A 324, with a 450cfm Edlebrock carb will give you a sweet driving car. I bet someone in the Olds club would give you a good deal, just to keep that Chevrolet motor out of your car. The engine deal is easy. The front suspension is pretty complicated to restore. Fatman makes dropped spindles for it, but you'll need to find a good front end shop, with some OLD guys still working there.