Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘29 Ford roadster deuce rails CAN-AUS build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jordabennett, Sep 18, 2018.

1. This week has been a memorable one with a great story.
    Originally from Langley BC, I’ve been working in Western Australia at a hotrod and customs shop in Dunsborough - south of Perth. A very small beautiful surf town.

A four year hiatus from Canada brought me back to have a well overdue visit with family. Along the way I’ve been collecting parts to build my dream car and ship it back with me to have a piece of home to drive down south. Over the past few months I’ve collected everything from head lights, tail lights, wheels, wish bones, juice brakes and well now a complete 29’ roadster. I’ll be shipping this home with me and starting the build next month.

I drove from Langley over the weekend to visit my brother in Grand Forks and brought an empty trailer in hopes to purchase a 29 Roadster I never saw photos of but took the guys word it was worth the drive past Grand Forks to Nelson.
    Dad and I packed a lunch and began driving from my Brothers place and headed east.
    I didn’t sleep the night prior as I was too excited to see this car I’ve only heard stories about and had a pretty descriptive image as to what it looked like. But was also nervous not seeing any photos and began to worry what if... All those worries were put to bed as we drove over the crest in his driveway and saw it sitting on a trailer posing. It was love at first sight. HaHa.

This Roadster was even more than I expected, and the owner was as genuine and honest as he was on the phone. A true bloke. Explaining to me it had been the oldest registered car on file in Nelson. An 89 year old piece of history that hadn’t left home. It was amazing to hear all the stories.
    After an hour or so I had to break my stare away make a deal and get back of the road.
    It’s made it safely back to the coast and will shortly begin it’s long journey to Australia where I can then dig in get this back on the road. I’ll keep you posted with lots of photos and steps as it under goes the face lift.

It will be kept traditional. Running:

‘40 Ford juice brakes
    ‘40 Ford rear end
    ‘40 original wheels
    ‘47 Merc flat head
    ‘32 original frame rails
    Guide 682-C headlights
    ‘39 Chevy tail lights
    And much more.
    I will list more as we go.
    Here’s a few photos I took over the weekend and during the road trip.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

3. I like it. Although it appears someone has called dibs on the drivers seat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Looks pretty solid and straight. Good buy!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Should have heard my nephews lungs when I had to take him out.

Jet96, clem and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Here’s a few shots of items I’ve gathered over the past two months:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. brady1929

brady1929

Great project. Congrats.

jordabennett likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome story.....
    Who did you get the wiring kit from?

9. I believe it came from an old elevator shaft.

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even better that you got it from an elevator, I just asked as its looks great but all the wires were the same gauge. Easy fix. Coming along for the ride on this build.

11. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Great Roadster !!!!
    I've got one that started with just the body and that was not complete.
    Yours is truly a prize.
    I did notice there is a 1928 taillight bracket on the lower left rear of the body and holes on the left rear fender for a 1929 through 1931 tail light bracket, maybe the fender was replaced? Who knows !!!
    It is a great start ! Have fun and keep us updated !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

:cool: good thing you are a bc boy or we may have had to have the hot rod police intercept that container before that fine little roadster could leave the province

13. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

Having built a Model A or two, and being an Aussie that is now a Canadian, and having just returned from Australia after working about 3 weeks on my brothers 30 A closed cab pickup, take as many parts as possible from here! Parts are available but tend to be exee! The cost of sending/shipping all that to Perth will also be eye opening, to say the least. Happy building, I will follow. BTW, I spend a lot of time in Langley, in a rod shop right on the border.

14. alchemy

alchemy

Your sandblast pic looks like you were doing the work on a beach. That's got to be the ultimate way to do that work. Or maybe in a desert. Just shovel it right off the ground into the tank, and never worry about cleaning up afterward.

clem likes this.
  15. You’ll have to let me know where abouts you are, would love to drop by and have a chat!

16. bct

bct

hope you enjoyed the kootneys .

17. Always a treat.

18. Cool story. I'll be following along as it takes shape!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Haven’t been able to do much as I still need to get this loaded in the container- but any chance to get louvres done by a friend I will start!
    Removed the original skin and have started a small patch panel. Will finish this tomorrow and hopefully add about 116 louvres..
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Little bit more massaging and it’s ready for some louvers

[​IMG]

21. Well I was fortunate enough to be able to use Brads (flatnastycustoms) louver press to give these old steel panels some breathing room. Now I am definitely no pro at this and after doing 258 louvers I have a lot of respect for the guys who do them perfect.
    But what an awesome experience it was to punch each louver. My back didn’t enjoy as much as I did.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice! I like it!

23. Was able to get a nice set of 36 ford wheels and a set of 600s- I traded a set for 750s and get a complete big and little set. I think they will look pretty good.
    Scored a full set of wide five drums through a horse trade and will suit perfectly.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8, Stogy, Jeff34 and 4 others like this.
  24. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very cool, can't wait to see it cruising around West Oz when completed.

25. Well after days of packing and labeling each item half the stuff is ready to be sent to Australia, in a months time I will be going full tilt in order to get this hot rod rolling, tune in!

[​IMG][​IMG]

26. So awesome! definitely subscribing

27. 63Compact

63Compact

28. I’m in.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

29. Another late item to make the list. Thankfully. Pretty excited about this one.
    Will be looking for some internals and a rear cover if anyone has or knows of.

[​IMG]

30. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Wow! Great story and pictures. Good luck with your project.

phelan9251 likes this.