Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who’s using original gas tank in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokeybear, Oct 18, 2018.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

The only reason I don’t have a front tank is because i have just about everything else in that space.i built a hell of a firewall between the rear tank and the seat but shit happens. I don’t think any thing is fool proof.

F&J likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fill your own gas

3. elba

elba

Looks to me that a 32 tank isn't very safe either .

4. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

BE285ADE-07BB-45A7-BD37-A4B5CC9D7544.jpeg BB4C06BC-AAC4-49D5-AB67-D62C77121F88.jpeg I am using the original tank but thought I’d upgrade the shut off valve and eliminate the glass bowl,I used a 12V solenoid shut off in place of the leaky manual valve and clipped a decent filter to the firewall as shown ,,fuel pump is mounted to the bell housing ,,used readily available fittings and tube,,I could go the extra step and wire through the oil pressure switch or an inertia switch,,not sure yet ,,

5. adavis

adavis

No hesitation running the stock tank in mine. I drive it daily and haven't had an issue with the fuel tank in almost 20k miles.... 20140504_153302.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    66fora69er and F&J like this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

A friend of mine told me his Dad witnessed a model A get T-boned , dropped gas on the exhaust and lit, the car was hit hard enough , twisted the body to where the doors wouldn’t open , he said the screams of someone burning to death isn’t something you ever forget

I’ll risk my 32 tank dangling off the back , outside of my car thanks

7. Mine does and my friend does, just don't crash :D.

One thing to watch is a column drop leak ('28-'30 riveted to the tank bottom sealed with solder), the old fix is to run a '31 column drop that bolts to the lip.

8. F&J

F&J

my opinion is........"there sure are some good looking A's on this gas tank thread"!

Keep them coming.. :)

9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I had the tank in the rear the first time I built it and went back to the stock tank this time. My vote is stock tank.

It’s a Tudor, I have grandkids. When they were young there was just enough room with the very small seat and gas tank in the back for their little legs.

Now they are 13 and 9 and there is no way they fit. Stock tank, minivan seats front and back and enough room for me (6’ 2” 250 lbs) to fit in the back with the front seat up.

Dash was the tough part and I may look at the shoe box or 40’s style dash but right now it’s a hot rod dash.

Cliff Ramsdell
    15F62516-9E8E-44A1-8C53-BAA494EEDE97.jpeg

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Food for thought, this accident happened here in town about a month ago and the gas tank started leaking then erupted in flames thankfully everyone got out but the poor Model A was toast by the time the fire department got there. HRP

mail.jpg

11. 3340

I’m running the stock tank,[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Damn! Just when I thought I had made up my mind. Keep the pics coming though. Thanks.

13. Deescott

Deescott

No reason whatsoever to not use stock tank. Anything that will fit in the space the tank is, will fit under your seat and be easier to access. Of course, you should have a good working, easily accessible fire extinguisher in any hot rod or home built car. Anyone that doesn’t is crazy if you ask me. People ask all the time if I’m running the stock tank, and then say I’m crazy. Meanwhile, theirs is in their trunk where they are most likely to get hit.

14. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Stock tank.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Stock tank in both of mine...

18622354_816977271811550_8955111292865326751_n.jpg 0607181545-1.jpg

woodz likes this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Still have the stock tank in place, nothing up there in it's place, but there is little to no space under the seats in mine, they sit maybe a couple of inches off the floor (I'm in the process of installing new seats now). And I can't imagine it would be easier to access while driving if there was.

I moved away from using the stock tank for a couple of reasons. First was there is always a smell of gas in the cab. No leaks, no seepage, but the smell is there anyway. That didn't bother me so much, but the wife always complained about it. Second, many tracks will not allow a fuel tank in the passenger compartment, if you want to run on the track you can't do it with the stock tank. 2 good reasons for me to change to an exterior tank. A little more volume isn't bad either.