Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sorry...............Ford, Chev, Mopar person?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Not able this morning to find my question on "Standard hot rod", looks like I might have offended someone. Sorry for that, I meant no harm. I welcome any comments in a PM you might have, just to keep out of trouble.
    But another question. Have you been a Ford person, Chev person, Mopar person, or what most of your life and why? Me? Started out Ford, switched to Chev. now to Buick. Drove fifty ford to school. Was wedding gifted a 51 Chev. fast back, and ever since the Buick Enclave has been out, bought one for the bride.

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM since a teenager. 57 Pontiac, 62 Catalina, 68 GTO 65 Impala, two 50 Olds coupes, 70 Cheyenne, 95 Impala SS,a few GMC pickups, many 55-57 Chevys. Also lots of 40 Fords. Have never owned a Mopar but like them

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 327Eric

327Eric

I have owned multiple Chevy, Dodge, Studebaker, Kaiser, Ford, Pontiac, and Buicks, I loved my Chevys, Studebakers and and Buicks, dreamt about fixing my Pontiacs, cursed my Fords, and kept buying Dodges for some reason.

4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Never really understood the whole “brand person” deal. They are all cars, I can find things I like in every brand.

5. I like them all. I love Mopar.

I grew up around Chevy fast cars. 1960 Impala, 61 Impala, 62 Biscayne, late models. My uncle who is to blame for most of it loved all but was a Chevy car and Ford truck man. My dad was a Challenger and cuda guy.

I decided as a kid I would pick my own. After growing up at shows, the Mopar style was what I picked. Nobody else made more loud designs and I loved it. My first car was a 69 Dart 340 Swinger I rescued from a salvage yard.

As I grew older I still loved the style and function of how most Mopars were put together.

They aren’t exactly superior, but a lot of it makes engineering sense, especially prior to 66, especially with engine architecture. Many of the Mopar engines and transmissions were way overbuilt. My 60 has some brilliant stuff in it I wish had stayed in later models.

I have ended up with a 60 Chrysler and a 70 cuda. I’d love to build a Chrysler hot rod with an early hemi.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Grew up a Ford man, because my dad was a Ford guy. Today I have more Chrysler products in my fleet than other brands. The Cummins diesel made me drift that way.
    But Ford is still my preferred brand.

Bones

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Owned a little of about everything but Pontiac thru and thru,
    64 Bonneville, a 65 lemans post, 66 GTO, a couple 67 birds, a couple 68 birds, a couple 72 GP`s, a couple 73 GP`s, wish I had them all back.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Almost started Ford but that's another story. So a Chevy came along and I bought it (mind you, I knew nothing about working on cars then). The more I seen how stuff crossed over I was hook on Chevy from then on. That's the only reason. All 3 give a good fight.

9. robracer1

robracer1

All GM starting at age 15, well 3 1/2 years ago got to old and to fat to get in a out of my lowered c5 vette, so I've away,s wanted a 32 Ford roadster, got a good deal on one but had a ford engine in it, then for some reason I wanted a 50 Ford with a flathead, found one. My daily car is a mint 2004 Chrysler Sebring conv. that I towed behind my motorhome.
    I feel if I die tomorrow, I will probably burn in hell for owning 2 Fords and a Chrysler

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Ford mainly but do like about anything,favorite GMs are mid 50s Olds and had a few Mopars through the years.

11. Chevy at first (also Coke), because you had to choose a side (so I thought). But I like them ALL now (and I drink Dr. Pepper :)). I do get the Chevy/Ford thing but to me personally it goes along looks. Fords up to early 50's then GM from then on......with everything else sprinkled over it all.

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  12. raised a Ford guy
    after working on cars for so long I could care less who makes the part or the vehicle
    my last build covered parts from all the big 3 and it worked great
    as long as it works and fits the need Im for it

13. I kinda like Fords with Chevrolet engines:D;) 43331156_1997474516964716_6096699110235045888_n.jpg 20180826_085713.jpg

exterminator, e z i, KJSR and 3 others like this.
  14. Like a few others- segments. Any make up through the 40's. From 1950 up I'm more of a Chevy guy who also loves Mopars :eek: is that a violation? :D ). After the late 70's (with rare exception) cars and trucks across the board lost all style and "cool".

15. Joel W

Joel W

A Mopar guy from birth. Dad was/is into 32 plymouths, 300 letter series cars, Dodge darts. We have always had Model A stuff, and have wandered into some more early 30's Ford cars. Have a few gm engines (vintage or oddball), and Mom has a Pontiac solstice. I've been told it is a sickness....

16. Dad had Chevy products, what I learned on. Stuck with me to this day, it's what I've bought and built. There's an Oldsmobile stashed for my retirement project.
    But I love 'em all.
    '39-40 Fords, Galaxy cars, Starliners, respect to the blue oval for not caving to pressure and openly stayed in racing.
    Hemi Chrysler products of all kinds!
    Willys, of course.

17. That's right, screw those Chevy, fords and mopars...........Kaiser-Frazier all the way ! 20180224_172724.jpg

18. pkhammer

pkhammer

Ford and Mopar mainly but there are models of just about every make that I really like. Mostly I like to be different especially when it comes to mills. I ran a 428 in my '42 and I'm going to run a '55 Caddy 331 in my current '32 pickup project. I would never, ever run a Chev small block, not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that everybody else has one and for that reason alone I'd never own one. That's just me.

19. dan31

dan31

My problem is that I like 'em all. As one of my friends,an engine builder always says,"That engine can't read what the hood says. We build them to run not read".

20. 1st car was a 1938 Ford standard sedan, then a 194o Dodge Coupe, then a 1940 Dodge Sedan I've had since 1971, have also had a 1948 Chrysler Windsor, 5 more 1940 Dodges, 1938 Pontiac Sloper 2 dr Oz Coupe, 1970 Valiant 2dr hardtop, 1968 Dodge Phoenix 4dr hardtop, 1973 Valiant wagon, 1951 Chev mild custom, 1998 Ford wagon, 1957 Canadian Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1941 South African assembled Plymouth ASC Coupe.......at present still have the 1st 1940 Dodge Sedan and a 1995 Toyota Hiace van which will probably be sold soon & replaced by a Ford Ute............like mopars but not averse to other brands ...........andyd

21. pkhammer

pkhammer

Ok, ok, if I ever buy a tri-five Chevy I'll run a small block Chev.......what else? I mean, the '57 Chevy is like my favorite body style ever!

swade41 and chevy57dude like this.
  22. I started driving and owning chevies and had to work on them every weekend because something else broke or rusted away:mad:. I discovered how cheap they were made and thought none would ever get more than 100.000 miles before it ended up junk and none that I bought did:(. Bought a OT '72 Ford Torino with 92,000 on it for $150 and figured it would last me the rest of the year. I put over 230,000 on the old 302 and FMX with just maintenance. Next one was a '64 Step side Ford pick up and did the same, 292 3 Speed on the column. Next was another 64 Ford styleside, same engine with a 4 speed. Never looked back.:D Throw in an odd Pontiac and a few Olds which were way better than any chevy I ever owned or drove.:cool: I now range from my '29 Briggs four door Model A to my late model OT daily drivers, all Fords, with every decade except the '40's and '70's:oops:. One '20 two '30's one '50, one '60, then they jump over the '70's.

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My wife has no patience for hair-splitting. Her response is invariably, "Same thing! You just spell it differently." That's how I've tended to see marque loyalty, especially when it comes to mainstream American cars c. 1940 to c. 1980. The similarity between GM, Ford, and Mopar often just stopped short of actual interchangeability. A more sensible question would be whether you like mainstream American cars of any given era.

It's the same with Japanese motorcycles of the UJM era. A far better question is whether you like UJMs as such than if you have any particular preference for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha.

I have other reasons for not entertaining marque loyalty of any kind, though.

24. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Only picking one brand of car to like is like only fucking one type of girl.
    I've always been more than willing give anything that catches my eye a chance to ruin my life.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Got 3 Fords.... Next classic I buy is gonna be a Chevy.....

26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Studebaker,Nash,Kaiser/Frazer,King Midget,Powell,Packard,Hudson,Crosley...any post war independent.
    All the other common car companies are belly button cars.

27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I will waste my money on any of them, love them all!!

GreenMonster48 and robracer1 like this.
  28. 48 plym, 56,57,69 chevies in my garages. Currently no fords but I’m open to the idea.

Maybe a 64 galaxy Hmmmmm

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've had more Chevrolets than anything else. must be a Chevy guy. strangely enough, in second place is Datsun.:eek:

BigDogSS likes this.