Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When should brake lines be replaced?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Mojo

Mojo

My 64 Riviera has been sitting for at least 14 years that I know of, and an unknown number of years before that. The rubber lines were replaced by the PO, but i'm replacing those again.

Should I replace the steel brake lines? I'm in the desert, rust moves in slow motion. But I know brake fluid holds water, and I don't know if i'm being overkill on being concerned about them. If I should, do you think stainless steel lines are worth it?

Also, anyone have any tips for converting this Riv to dual chamber master cylinder?

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Since it's a desert car I would be less concerned. Bleed the brakes and see what kind of rusty fluid comes out.

As for replacement lines, look at copper-nickel alloy instead of stainless. The two main brands are NiCopp and Cunifer. You can get the stuff from Jegs or Summit. It doesn't rust, and is very easy to bend and flare when compared to stainless.

3. When in doubt, rip it out.

Rich S. likes this.
  4. My 65 Pontiac, I converted to Dual master cyl, using parts from a 67.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If they are rusty, or damaged, then replace them. They usually last forever in the dry southwest.

fauj likes this.
  6. Mojo

Mojo

I'll crack one of the rears open and see what the fluid looks like. The line on the rear axle looks great. The owner before the PO replaced the master cylinder and the drums. I was wanting to convert to front disc, but the drums look brand new, very thick liners.

I bought a 67 dual chamber MC. I think I can just plug the rear line out on the junction block, and use a elbow from the rear MC chamber to the rear line.