Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engines is it just me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Oct 19, 2018.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

when i go to the cruise ins or car shows i always tend to gravitate to the hood open cars or no hoods at all. I really like looking at the motors how guys route the wires different carb setups pretty much everything. Is it me or do you guys like to see the motors. Anybody got pics of there rods motors that’s great also.

Deuces, mad mikey, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  2. I do like a well detailed engine.

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. ME too. I raise my hood and visit around the others with hood up first. Jimmie

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Worse yet, is when the museums do it and also have a barrier so you can't get close to the vehicle.

Deuces, loudbang and CudaChick1968 like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I keep my hood closed. Now all the detailed work is slowing disappearing because I don't see how dirty it's getting any more. Doesn't stop guy's from looking up the wheel well though.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

i dont think i ever looked up the wheel well but i do look through the louvers

Deuces, King ford and loudbang like this.
  7. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I dont like cars with open hood's it totally destroys the lines of a car. It's even worse if said car is a custom. Im probably in the minority on this cause I know alot of people open there hood's as soon as they park. I dont but when asked I will open hood let them look then close it right back up

1956 F100, 32SEDAN, Tim and 18 others like this.
  8. I agree 100%.

Deuces, Knghtcadi, seadog and 2 others like this.
  9. X3. I do the same thing.

Deuces, Knghtcadi and Stogy like this.
  10. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Yea, it all depends on the car; a hot rod, drag car, other type of race car, etc I like to check out the powerplant. For most customs I'd prefer to see the car with the hood closed to better take in the lines of the car.

as a side note: I find it amazing that I can pick out tiny little imperfections in fancy show cars but I can't seem to see any of those same kind of faults in my stuff....LOL

Bobby

Deuces, X-cpe, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

You can tell a lot about a build by the underhood details...

12. I completely agree. The job quality shows most in the little things that are often never noticed by the casual enthusiast.

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, Ralphies54 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me it depends on the car. For the most part I'd rather see stockers with the hood down. But, if you have a dual quad model, hoods up please. Today there are so many LS engines in 55-72 Chevs I don't really care or look.
    Same for a pseudo 37 Ford roadster with pained panels covering an engine so low you can't see it.. They look better hood down.

Deuces and bobbytnm like this.
  14. ebfabman

ebfabman

X4......Full bodied cars look odd w the hoods up.

LOST ANGEL and Stogy like this.
  15. If I had a unique engine or accessories, hood up! With my ugly dirty V6, hood down. Seeing as traditionally, customs weren't powered by anything special, (usually) they should be shown hood down.

Deuces and bobbytnm like this.
  16. I must jump in here. Quality and detail are not necessarily the same. Some folks just have different visions. I tend to like all extremes. Fall some where in the middle.

Engines are the heart of the beast.

Ben

Deuces, Ralphies54 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. The car I tend to take to shows is off topic but the big block is the best looking part of the car so I always open the hood!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and Black_Sheep like this.
  18. My engine looked great when it was new, now I have to keep up with it getting dirty, but people still look at it. When we had stock cars, with a new car, we tried to keep the hood on in the pits... drove everyone else nuts.

Deuces likes this.
  19. We'll put, Sir!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Ralphies54 like this.
  20. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I love engines and details! Oh hell, even if someone's grandma has the hood up in the grocery store parking lot, I'll go look. She might need some help. :D

Deuces, winduptoy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  21. With my custom I do not open the hood, I firmly believe it ruins lines of the car. I will open it to show somebody but then close it again. On my 30 Coupe it has no hood so it's not an issue.

Deuces and Black_Sheep like this.
  22. oldsman41

oldsman41

I get it with the customs I don’t open the hood on my 51 merc until someone asks. I’m still running the flatty and a lot of the kids like to see what it looks like.

Deuces likes this.
  23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

When I go to a show I leave the hood closed for the first half and then open it at some point.
    Several times I’ve heard people say look the hoods open now let’s go check out the engine.

People like to see cars with the hood closed and like to see engines too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. loudbang

loudbang

If I can see them the engine is always the first thing I look at. :)

Deuces, Black_Sheep and CudaChick1968 like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate the way my truck looks with the hood open even when I had the engine compartment better detailed than the rest of the truck. As others said it just breaks up the lines. That said the 292 will have a crap load of finned cast aluminum on it and will be detailed to the max so it will probably be 50/50 at shows and the hood will be open half the time and closed half the time.
    What I really don't like is these clowns with the 50's and 60's and later beaters with the grease encrusted engine compartments who roll into an event and pop the hood to show off the grease caked engine. It must be akin to barn find dirt in that they fear to clean it up and loose that "as I found it" crud.

Deuces, CudaChick1968 and loudbang like this.
  26. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Ha, an ugly chick with a beautiful heart, doesn't make her look like a beautiful chick.

27. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

If it’s a clean bay, I like them open. Usually I prefer closed though, as they’re more photogenic and it’s easier to actually see the car as a whole

Deuces and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

If there is something in the engine compartment to see, I like hoods up, too!

Sometimes my hood will be up, sometimes down, eventually everyone will see whats in there. Around here, same people go to the same shows so theres plenty of chances....

29. dan31

dan31

I always thought that the factory hoods with the glass section they used for promo cars where cool because it solved this problem.

30. jazz1

jazz1

Hood closed unless someone asks to see how or what fit between the wheel wells