Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with info - Yellow Cab Manufacturing Co.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by bobbytnm, Oct 20, 2018.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Help everyone. I'm trying to find any information I can on a truck made by the Yellow Cab Manufacturing Company. I'm thinking this truck is a 1923 or 1924. Even though I have found he chassis number tag and the engine number tag (which match by the way) I can't come up with hardly any info.
    The engine is a 4cyl manufactured by Continental Engines (heck, they made engines for everyone it seems). I've never seen wheels like this either.
    My buddy picked this truck up at an auction for a decent price. We drug it home and managed to fire the engine. The starter is missing but we cranked it up with the hand crank.

I'd appreciate any information that you might have
    IMG_2535.jpeg IMG_2536.jpeg IMG_2710.jpeg IMG_2712.jpeg IMG_2723.jpeg IMG_8287 1.jpg

Oilguy, kidcampbell71, Bleach and 4 others like this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. WOW, that is neat. What is inside in the body. Was this used as a taxi or just as a delivery truck? Have you tried Google for more info?
    Jimmie

54vicky likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

The casting date on the driver side says 7-2-24 .

Castings often were not machined right away, to "season them".. so I suppose it could be a 24 or even a 25.

my old truck spotters guide has very little info.

-- '' Yellow Truck & Coach Mfg. Co" Pontiac, Mich. 1915-1930. "panel delivery, express trucks, truck chassis, as well as taxis"

kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  4. That is a unique find.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. 5window

5window

From Wikipedia-you looked,right? You might want to check out the reference given. Cool old truck.

"
    The Yellow Cab Manufacturing Company was established in 1920 by John D. Hertz and was associated with the Yellow Cab Company which Hertz also owned.

History[edit]
    [​IMG]
    The Yellow Cab Manufacturing Company was established in 1920 by John D. Hertz and was associated with the Yellow Cab Company which Hertz also owned.[1]

From 1921 the company manufactured Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and by 1923 its earning were $4,005,365.[1] Hertz established the Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company as subsidiary of the Yellow Cab Company in that year.[2]

The company was sold to General Motors in 1925.[1]

References[edit]
    1. ^ Jump up to:a b c "Yellow Taxicab..."
    2. Jump up^ Yellow Coach Buses 1923 Through 1943: Photo Archive. 2001. p. 8. ISBN 1-58388-054-2. "

6. 5window

5window

catdad49 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks guys
    Yea, I'm guess 1924. Yellow Cab Manufacturing Co was sold to GMC in 1925.
    There are several different entities relating to Yellow Cab; Yellow Cab, Yellow Cab Manufacturing, Yellow Cab Coach, etc.
    I can find plenty of pictures relating to Yellow Cabs. I found one other picture of a Yellow Cab truck (1922) but it only slightly resembles this truck. After finding that pic, I think this one might have been sold as a chassis and the body was added later by someone else. The cowl on this doesn't resemble any other picture I can find.
    Here is a shot of the 1922 Yellow Cab truck I found
    IMG_8281.JPG

Also, on the passenger side of the grill shell there is an approx. 2" hole that was stamped into the grill shell. For the life of me I can't figure out what the heck that is for

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Try the AACA Library in Hershey, Pa. if anyone has info they do. Bob

bobbytnm likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

What came first the Yellow Cab truck or the Yellow Cab Taxi? What color were they?:confused: Bob

bobbytnm and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool truck.. Researching it could be fun.. The two trucks including the frame look very similar...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Does it line up with a clear path to the choke? Many earlier cars/and especially trucks did have a way to choke from the front, if you needed to hand crank it.

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Very cool, I didn't know they ever built trucks.

They aren't very helpful but I found a couple pictures on the Walter Miller auto literature website, one of a 1925 car and one of a 1925 bus. If Walter Miller doesn't have literature on the trucks, it may not be available...they're about the biggest in the business. http://www.autolit.com

However, the picture of the car does show a round something-or-other on the side of the radiator that seems to match your truck.

ua1759-d.jpg

wg6974-d.jpg

13. F&J

F&J

Yes they are helpful....look at the pic on post 7....that seems to be a truck. Your pic proves it is/was a cut down Taxi.

I was pretty sure it was earlier today, then looked at your pic of the "rocker panel"(the sill under the doors) on post 7, you can see it had been cut off. Your pic shows how that sill went under the rear doors on that taxi

14. oldolds

oldolds

I have worked on one very similar to this one.
    [​IMG]
    Just got it running for an auction.

15. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks everyone!
    Great suggestion on the AACA Library, I'll get in touch with them.

I don't think this was cut down from a cab chassis. I did find some conflicting literature where Yellow Cab Manufacturing made 2 different trucks; 1 source says they made a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton, another source states it as a 1 ton and a 1 1/4 ton.
    The ID tag on the engine (see prior pic) starts out with a 3/4 so I'm thinking this is the 3/4 ton version (that ID tag matches numbers on the frame).
    All of the Yellow Cabs that I can find all show 4 lug hubs and the solid disc wheels. This truck has 5 lug hubs and spoke wheels (granted the wheels could have been changed out, but probably not the hubs).
    I've never seen a set of wheels like this either.

It is fun trying to dig up info on this thing. I do think its amazing that in today's "Google" world I can find another picture of a Yellow Cab manufacturing truck.
    So far, this truck has been a blast to play with.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it
    Bobby

16. F&J

F&J

My other post was only about the taxi that was made into a farm truck, not yours.

Yours is a truck. Yours likely left the factory without a rear body, as was mentioned by somebody, maybe you.

17. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

F&J
    No worries, I wasn't trying to dog on you. I appreciate your info and suggestions and your time.
    As for your suggestion about the hole in the side of the grill shell. No it doesn't seem to line up with the choke, although I'm not sure what was used for a choke. It currently has a late model cable assy that looks like it was stolen from a lawnmower (this will definitely get replaced).
    I'll definitely take another look at it from that perspective though.

The engine does have electric start, however the starter is missing. There are 3 bolts that hold it on, I'm guess its probably a 3 bolt Delco-Remy starter but we haven't started looking for that yet. We did get the engine running. With the primer/compression release cups and the hand crank it fires pretty easy.

Another surprising thing is how little information is out there for early Continental engines. From the early 40's and up there seems to be good info but not much out there for the early engines.

Bobby

18. That time period would refer to WWII and their prolific use by everyone for everything. Until then they were just a common, simple, obscure, industrial engine.

19. F&J

F&J

Actually, many cars and trucks used Continental engines going back before WW1.

Car & truck makers were very prolific in the early days, (hundreds of small company brands) and many of these were underfunded companies. They resorted to what was called an "Assembled" vehicle, using major components like engines, trans, F&R axles from suppliers. They simply could not build each major piece.

A few days ago, I did run across a semi modern book I bought years ago, on the Continental Engine Co, but Now..I forget where I saw it in my "too many buildings". I bought it in the 80s when I had a 1916 GMC with a big Continental 4 with that same "Cast-en-block" (headless design) <Yes spelled EN, not IN.. :)

I just went out to see what type of starter is on my "later 20s" Star car with a small, removable head 4 cyl Continental. It has no bolt flange.

I will PM bobbytmn on a place that would have info on the starter, "If" the very elderly owner is still in business. He had every old parts book ever made..not factory, but the parts ID for every part on a vehicle, new or aftermarket, back in the day. He might even have it "if" it was a starter used on much more common brands.

bobbytnm likes this.
  20. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for the contact info that the starter place. I haven't called yet.
    I love parts books and used to be a master of reading them upside down and backwards from standing on the other side of the counter....LOL

Yea, Continental was prolific in engine manufacturing for the automotive, agricultural, industrial and even aviation industries. Heck, my 58 Massey Ferguson tractor is powered by a little Continental 4cyl.

Bobby

21. So Cal Greg

So Cal Greg

I have a 1919 Republic truck with the same engine in it. Continental 3 3/4 bore, 5 inch stroke, Monobloc. The Crank case is made of aluminum. There is no dipstick. The engine has a gauge on the side connected to a cork float like in a gas tank. I can't wait to tear into this one but has several projects in line first.

Attached Files:

22. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

23. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

24. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Awesome ad!

Thanks