Register now to get rid of these ads!

Charlie price speed equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you bother to take the time and read the whole thread you will find that for every one person who had a bad experience there are two or three who have no problem and like the parts and service.
    It's easy to hold a grudge and in some cases it is the guy ordering who has unrealistic expectations.
    We ordered some tri power air cleaners from them and never had an issue.
    Even got a refund when shipping was lower than anticipated.

Stogy likes this.
  2. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2

They are always at the Turkey Run Swap Meet in Daytona. Great people!!!

Stogy likes this.
  3. I have never had a problem with Charlie. I have ordered many parts and they are always right on.
    Dickster.......he is a another story...sold me corroded check balls and when I talked to him about them he refused to ship me any more parts.....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    thunderplex likes this.
  4. I ordered some valve covers from Vintage Speed a couple weeks ago. Have not seen them yet, and have called and emailed. No response yet. But after reading the thread, I will be patient. I just want the valve covers, no huge rush and I am glad to read the comments but wish I did before I ordered

5. I ordered 8 sets of stainless hardware for some 97s. They sent a mixed bag of assorted hardware. Some pieces were not even stainless. Very rude woman on the phone. Never again.

6. Talked to Charley this AM. He said they had 9 people working now & are still behind. He said they only have the one telephone line & if that is tied up the call goes on voice mail. He answered my question & we chatted a bit (he is 72 & I am 84+) & I said I best quit tying up his & said adios.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    thunderplex and Stogy like this.
  7. I wanted to update from this past May when I posted. After a month I called and was told the valve covers I ordered had to be cast, and the castings that came back were not the best. He asked if I wanted to wait or a refund. I opted to wait. Another few weeks go by and they call to tell me they are ready. Had them a few days later.

I ordered another set of valve covers, just last week, and had them about a week later. I think Charlie is a good guy, and maybe just gets busy? I'm not sticking up for him, just spreading my experience. I would order again.

loudbang, thunderplex and Stogy like this.
  8. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I bought some parts for a 3 deuce setup on a small block Chevy at Moultrie swap meet years back. I ask a question and he spent the next 15 minutes giving me very good information on how to set it up. I am sure he could be short if pushed, but he was very nice and gave me a wealth of good information. I am getting ready to do another 3 duece setup and I will order from Charlie.

9. leon bee

leon bee

Several times I've bought little parts from them on ebay. They do ebay just about perfectly.

10. wutnxt

wutnxt

Venturi screws missing from the 2GC carbs on my “ready to run” 2x2 setup

11. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Amazing guy and very knowledgeable!!! Hates tire kickers that want 3x2s on there flatties but don’t have a pot to piss in!!! Great guy!!!! %100 keep going back to him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. When I bought my stuff from m him years ago got great advise and service.

13. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

Ordered parts to rebuild my stock Stromberg carb online from Vintage Speed on Wednesday night, got them in the mail on Saturday. Looks like their closed on Fridays so that was a speedy turn around. No complaints here. Nate

14. I got a 3x2 set up from Charlie years ago, talked to him on the phone too. Great guy IMO.He invited me to come and visit him and his shop.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, yeah. He's probably good with stuff like that.:rolleyes:

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve have 2 experiences with them and did not have any bad words to say. Pricey for what I wanted (small to larger 4 barrel air cleaner adapters) but could find no others..

17. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve ordered a few things from them over the last couple of years. Never a problem. My assumption is if a woman answers, it’s Charlie’s wife. If you have a technical question she has you talk to her husband. Simple.

mad mikey likes this.
  18. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I ordered these sunday and received them on Friday. That's pretty quick for a mail order

Attached Files:

Max Gearhead likes this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Old thread I know, but, does anyone know who Realrodder is on eBay? He’s selling tripower Charlie linkages, and has 100% positive feedback…

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's him.

neilswheels54 likes this.
  21. hepme

hepme

The old saying "proof's in the pudding" seems to apply to Charlie. Yeah, he's terrible slow, not super customer oriented, and still a small business owner with the headaches that go with it. I dealt with him many years ago for a pair of large bases for Rochester tri powers. Everything said applied to my dealings, but, i used those bases on a tri power setup (avatar) for about 7 years until i sold the car and never had one problem with them--air tight, no vacuum leaks, and always operational and sealed. His stuff worked for me and i can say honestly i got my money's worth.

22. I have used bits and pieces of items and gave no problems over the years …

23. I read this and other similar threads after having placed an internet order with VS. I began to worry a bit when I didn't see any activity for a week (my credit card had not even been charged). I called, a woman answered, I said that I was just following up on an order, she yells for Charlie.

Charlie comes on the line, I politely explained the purpose of the call, and Charlie explains they were away at the Turkey Run for the week...but they hope to get caught up in the next few days. A week and a half later, my parts arrived (including going through Customs)...good quality and nicely packed. The invoice shows $62 charge for shipping and handling. The package shows $30 postage (I thought that was a bit cheeky for handling fees). When I checked my credit card statement this morning, it showed a $32 refund from VS (I didn't ask for it).

So, all this to say, I guess I was fortunate to have a positive transaction.

24. saltracer219

saltracer219

I had multiple calls to him several years ago on some Edmunds air cleaners that were "almost ready to ship", he said he would call back in a week or so, this went on for over a couple of months.....still waiting, we moved on. If it is in stock he is good but other than that don't hold your breath!

25. nicmic27

nicmic27

I have done business with Charlie for years and have bought several try power systems from and getting ready to order another. He has a small shop with lots of very cool stuff. He is a very busy guy and as another person said - does not have time for rude people wasting his time. Neither do I. If you didn't like the way you were treated - you probably deserved it. He is generous with his time and knowledge. The best products available. Charlie does not suffer Fools?
    Surf Doggie

26. SPEC

SPEC

I have been buying parts from Charlie for 30 years in person and on the phone. He always was extremely helpful.

27. kls50

kls50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a rebuild kit for my 94 Ford carb with the new style rotary float valve from him-no problems.

28. hepme

hepme

Same here, I ordered the end bases for the tri's-took quite a while but when they came in they were great-absolutely tight seal (a must) and worked beautiful. True, they are a PITA to deal with.

29. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered his tripower kit about 3 years ago. It went together really well and works better than expected. I ordered some gaskets and screws around this Christmas time. I got everything I ordered but as some has said you might need a little patience with delivery times.

phil