Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 48stude

48stude

I need to install a temperature gage in line and an in line thermoswitch for an electric fan in my Model A. . Should they be in the return line or the pressure line? Which line is the return on the tranny - bottom or top ? Thanks, Bill

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I will assume that the reason for the electric fan is to cool the tranny fluid. Are you running the tranny fluid through the radiator? Separate cooler? Both?

IMO the best place to get a temperature reading is from the pan. It will be it's coolest in the pan after it returns from what ever cooler you have. So to answer, put both in the pan.

egads likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Just asking.... Since for engine water temperature, and radiator fan switches, you put the pickups in the water necks or as close to the hottest part of the engine, why would you want the temp gauge for a transmission in the coolest part?

4. the bottom line is out to cooler, top is return

squirrel likes this.

5. 48stude

48stude

Here's what I'm up to. I mounted my cooler at the rear of the car. P1020506.JPG
    I have a little temperature gauge manifold that mounts in line and a thermoswitch for the fan that mounts in line.
    P1020507.JPG
    The switch installs on the return side of the cooler. I plan to install the gauge on the same return line which would be the top line into the tranny. Do you guys agree? Bill

6. squirrel

squirrel

I think the gauge would be more useful if it shows what temp the transmission is, which wold be the "out" line from the trans, not the return.

are you going to use inverted flare fittings, and get rid of the compression fittings?

Hnstray, j-jock and Johnny Gee like this.
  7. 42merc

42merc

Go to - turbobuick.com- lots of trans cooler talk from some very knowledgeable folks.

8. elba

elba

I wouldn't worry about tans temp in a Model A . I had a 38 Chevy Sedan that I never put a cooler on it . Had it for over 10 years in hot Atlanta . I just put a line from out to in .

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just like an engine. You wanna know it's current operating temp not what it's going to receive.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. My thinking is that the fluid leaving the tranny (or engine) will be the hottest. The fluid entering the coolest. If the switch to turn on the fan is after the cooler, then it will only cut on when needed to help cool the fluid. Since the fluid is hotter leaving the tranny, it might cause the fan to run more than needed.

11. XXL__

XXL__

Kind of need to know what the switch temperature calibration is. That will determine whether it goes at the "hot" part of the trans (like you'd do with water temp) or elsewhere. If you put it in the wrong place, you could end up with a fan that runs forever... or never turns on at all.

12. I can't tell from your pic if the cooler will pick up much air at all as you're driving. On top of that, you've blocked about half the air that would normally flow through the cooler when the fan is off. So, in effect , you're heating the fluid prematurely, then worrying about how to cool it again. Step back and take another pic, if you would.
    I know you didn't ask for this info, specifically, so feel free to disregard if you wish.