Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help find lost Gasser, Panneton Christensen & Jones '56 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 56 @Pond-2.jpg 56 smokers-1.jpg IMG950193.jpg IMG950155.jpg [​IMG] Many of you already know this story by now, so I'll try to keep it on the shorter side. From 1962-1967-68ish my dad Dick Panneton, and his buddies Dick Jones, and Chris Christensen campaigned this car in originally C/Gas, with a Rochester injected 327 & 4speed manual trans, and later in B/Gas with a 401" Jackson injected small block Chevy & 4speed manual trans. Their home track was San Fernando Raceway in So. California, and the car was also raced some at Lions, Fontana Drag City, and Old San Gabe. The car also competed in all if not most of the Smokers Fuel & Gas Championships (aka The March Meet) in Bakersfield during these same years. The team garnered a runner up finish to Fred Teixierra's B/Gas Willys at either the '66 or '67 event. After being lightened, and updated with a one piece glass nose, a straight axle, and unique rack & pinion steering from a Renault or some other import car, a then new '68 Camaro wreck was found, and it was decided by Chris Christensen to sell the '56, and carry on with the Camaro instead. Contrary to rumors that the '56 was sold to two Burbank Police officers, Christensen told me himself last Christmas, that the '56 was sold to Big Bill Bonelli, who at the time owned Saugus Speedway. Big Bill would have been in his late 60's (which didn't make sense), but we found out that Bills oldest son Robert (Bob) Bonelli would have been about 25 years old when the car was sold to Big Bill, and we assume it was purchased for Robert.., this would have been sometime in 1968-69. Not long after, Big Bill got in trouble with the government, and ran off to Mexico to hide out, and apparently died there in his early 70's, in the early 1970's. Some more searching for Robert, and we found out he died of a heart attack in his early 50's.., this would have been around 1993-94. Still more searching showed us that Big Bill had a younger son.., Benjamin Bonelli. We have found a Lake Havasu Ph.# for Benjamin, but he doesn't answer it. With this, we turn again to the trusty H.A.M.B. The car was 1957 Cadillac Cobalt Blue while it was raced, and when it was sold. If anyone out there has any photos, other than these posted, in any stories, any info to its whereabouts, or its demise, or have any friends or family with any knowledge, we would be most indebted to you. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and for any effort put forth to find the ole '56, or inform us of its whereabouts/demise. Ric.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Just Gary, chevy57dude, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So I take it that this car you are looking for is not the one I seen at the meltdown drags.

3. According to what I found, William Sr. had 3 sons but the source did not give their names. Also found these which indicates he was not related to the Frank G. Bonelli who the San Dimas Park was named after.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2002/mar/03/local/me-then3/2

Edit: Appears sons were Robert, and Benjamin.
    http://www.archives.com/1940-census/william-bonelli-ca-31854333
    According to this in 1993, Ben lived in the Bay area and Robert in Scottsdale, AZ. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-09-14/business/fi-35205_1_saugus-speedway

Another edit: A Blake Bonelli, CPA in Scottsdale has a connection to a Robert Bonelli who would be 85.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. That's great Carcruse, thanks for the help.

5. Did you catch my last edit above?

6. No it isn't. We bought "Yesterdays Child" believing we had finally found it, and also thought if it wasn't, it would be a great starting place to build a clone. Then we found Dennis Coker, the original owner/builder/driver, and later Bob Powers who put the current paint/lettering on it, and decided to leave the paint & lettering on for now. We'd still love to find our original car, but the trail goes cold after the Bonelli family

7. Yes, thanks much.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will give it a bump for the day crowd.

9. Thanks Saltflats. I don't mean to "wear everyone out" about this car, but I just know someone out there has more pics, info, etc, its just a matter of time, so thanks everyone for putting up with us. :)

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No worries man. I lose a girlfriend once and my wife tells me I should stop looking for her.

alanp561, Tickety Boo and mad mikey like this.
  11. Were you able to contact Blake?

12. Not yet, keep ya posted.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That's a cool 56. Hope that you find it.

14. Thanks Torkwrench, me too!

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Bump for the Night Crews

16. dblgun

dblgun

Sunday bump for you Ric, keep looking for the old girl......

17. Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!!!

18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I love the tenacity , really hope you find it:cool:

Tickety Boo likes this.
  19. SS327

SS327

Damn good looking ride!