Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest DAVE CRANE HAS CROSSED THE FINAL FINISH LINE !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

It's with great sadness, and a heavy heart, That I inform you that the world of Hot Rodding has once again lost one of it's warmest, most colorful members.... For a number of guys, The excitement of Nats North in Kalamazoo was only part of the event. The BIG event was when we would head over to Dave's Museum in the evening,.......

We were all met, one on one by name, with a warm smile and a handshake,.. And we all started to gather around all of his Drag Racing memorabilia....We would be mulling around, With Dave coming up to each of us talking one on one... Then as the evening progressed... Dave would sit down,... And all of us would be drawn to him like a magnet. It was never programmed, or planned that way, But it was just a natural flow of events. Somebody would ask Dave a question, And the stories started... Detailed events, and a behind the scenes look at early Drag Racing... And we all sat there listening, and hanging on every word... Like Boy Scouts sitting around a bonfire, hanging on every word of the scout masters ghost stories......

Sometimes there was silence, talking about those that have gone on before, sometime uproarious laughter,. enhanced by Dave's ability to tell you a story, and paint a mental picture so vivid in your mind,.. You could actually see the events described. Dave was a "one of a kind", So very sharing and giving.... I can honestly say, I never herd him say a cross word about anybody. He was the kind of guy a lot of people wish they could aspire to.... So once again, The years pass, the roll call continues to get shorter... And the world of Hot Rod Pioneers becomes a larger void...

Dave has a sign in his little museum,... It says "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CARS,... IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE"..... I pointed it out to him one time... He winked at me with a nod of the head.... He said, "If all we had to be around was just a building full of cars,... Or go to the Drag Races and sit in the stands, or Pits alone,.. It would be a lonely old wold",.. But then, lifting up his head and looking around at all the people enjoying the items in his Lil' Museum, Talking, laughing, sharing stories and memories... He looked back at me with a smile,.... "Ain't this glorious!" was all he said...

Well Dave, As with a number of guys that have "Crossed the Finish Line" before you, that I truly miss, You will be thought of often and with great regard... So just save me a place around your char, as I look forward to hearing those old stories again...

Until we meet again my friend,....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. exterminator

exterminator

I see Dave Lukkari in the ist picture and I sure miss him.

Stogy, deucemac, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Me too,.... That's why that picture was first....

[​IMG]

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

5. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Rest in Peace Dave..

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  6. Thanks for posting. I never met Dave, but we had email conversations from time to time. Meant to get by to see his collection. May he rest in peace.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Godspeed!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

May you feel the asphalt and smell the burnt rubber in you journey.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Dave..... :(

Stogy likes this.
  10. flatjack

flatjack

Met Dave at the Autorama several years ago. He invited us to visit his museum on the way back to Wisconsin. What a neat place and a really great guy. I always remember that sign about the people you meet. First thing you saw when coming thru the door. Sorry I only met him once.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a life well lived. Godspeed.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the the Crane family and friends on the passing of Dave.

@Harms Way thanks for sharing your loss and moving tribute to this fine man.

The finish line that's one race we are all going to win guaranteed. Dave seemed to have lead a colorful adventurous race and you and many here enjoyed being part of his race. Was he a Racer? (See below)

I can understand the void many of you are feeling today.

From Dave's Bio in 2008

"I am 71, was flagman and head tech inspector at Martin 131 Dragway from the day they opened in 1962 for 13 years, Raced gassers, altereds and dragsters."

Another thread on Adventures at Dave's by @Harms Way...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me-dave-cranes-2010.511935/

Rest in Peace Hamber Dave Crane

Hollywood-East and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Harms Way. What a great and loving tribute to your passing friend. It strikes close to home because of personal reasons and brings tears to this old mans eyes. Thank you so much for posting Dave's wonderful story. My condolences to you, all his and your rodding buddies and of course his entire family.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to Family & friends

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy likes this.
  16. Thought I still had this business card somewhere in my collection. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but Dave and I had a mutual friend who gave me this card several years ago. Too few of us get to be in the "Old Race Cars" business. :(

DCrane_01.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  17. Harms Way

Harms Way

He was a special guy,... And will be missed by more Hot Rodders than you can imagine..... In respect to Dave and his family,. Please do not call the number on his card...Just thought I would mention that,... But I know you guys are cooler than that.
    [

Stogy likes this.
  18. Good idea. Did a little editing on my photo so it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Harms Way, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  19. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

I met Dave at the Red Lobster restaurant in Battle Creek 2008 while waiting to be seated . He seen our hot rod shirts and started a conversation we talked like old friends for about twenty minutes about early drag racing before we got seated he hands us his card and says if you guys aren't doing any thing tonight stop by we're having a little get together at my place. So rather than hanging around the motel parking lot we went to Daves place. It became the place to be on Saturday night when we went to Kalamazoo for the nats north. Our condolences to Daves wife and family rest in peace my friend

Stogy likes this.
  20. Too many great folks are crossing that line.Rest in peace.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pedal to the metal, sir!

Stogy likes this.
  22. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Sweetheart of a man and I was fortunate enough to be able to attend several of his Nats North racing parties. I feel horrible about his passing.

Stogy likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

God Speed , Rest In Peace . My prayers are with you and your family . I have said it hundreds of times , I have never talked to anyone at a car event that was not a jolly fun loving person , this is a great hobby we have , let’s all continue to enjoy it , and make memories for many more years .

Stogy likes this.
  24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks dennis for starting this post. I have been trying to do it, but its been hard. I have know dave for quite a few years. I met him over 20 years ago threw rod and custom, and we have been close friends ever since. many partys and phone calls bring us to this. dave and I have always had a long fond liking for early drag racing. but dave lived it all. sneaking out with the guys, to race on the airport runway, as a kid, to being hired to work at the first area dragstrip, to racing his own cars and rails, if it had an engine, dave was in. dennis laid out daves life very well. in our talks over the years, I enjoyed listening to those early days. storys about the guys that came to the track, borsch, garlits, the greek, ivo, you name them, dave flagged, teched them, or cooked hotdogs for them, what ever it took to put the show on! this was a special guy, he was along with his wife, a great host, a great story teller, and a special friend.the last 4 years were tuff on david, but he stilled tried his best to make you laugh in his final conversations, him and I burned up the telephone lines many nites, and now the dam phone is dead. im going to miss ya bud, but I have many years of his storys to thing about. in the long run, ITS NOT ABOUT THE CARS ITS THE PEOPLE. thank you dennis. ACME PARRACHUTE AND BRASSIER COMPANY IS NOW CLOSED

25. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

bump up please

Stogy likes this.
  26. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave at the Indy Good Guys meet several years ago. He was a great person, and he made you feel like an old friend. I gave him an old dragster steering wheel that I had, for his museum. I feel that it went to the right person, who appreciated my admiration for him, and his fantastic collection.

Stogy and 40ragtopdown like this.
  27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Bump

Stogy likes this.
  28. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Rest in Peace Dave. You lived your life doing what you loved...talking cars with other hot-rodder friends. Your friendship is an example for all of us to aspire to. You will be missed!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Stogy likes this.