Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who’s using original gas tank in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokeybear, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

The gas tank in my model A is in pristine condition, but I’m hesitant to use it for safety reasons. (I know, first world problems, right?) Who’s running the original tank and hasn’t been burned alive in a crash. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

One of my Hobby Members has an A with original tank. He was broadsided at stop sign and he and tank survived. He has electric pump mounted inside cab and shut off under tank on right side. Modified banger with Weber 2 barrel and drives it every place. Every Hot Rod is going to have 'what if' issues.

F&J, nunattax, bct and 1 other person like this.
  3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I drove my 1929 pickup about 100-150 miles a week for 5 years, no problems.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If you asked this 2 months ago I would have answered "Me!", but after several years of running on the stock tank I made the decision to install a separate tank, so I no longer am using the stock tank and it is not plumbed in to the fuel system any longer. It's still there, but not being used.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Use your original tank. That is what I did. No problem.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm surprised you don't have a need for all that extra space under the cowl for other things. A tank in the back is far safer, IMHO. Gary

Hnstray likes this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You're probably already dead by the time the tank ruptures...

F&J likes this.
  8. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

Agreed. Cowl tanks waste a lot of space.
    Dash 1.JPG

bct and Rice n Beans Garage like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Of all the possibilities, being rear ended scares me the most. It is also is what I have the least control of. My stock "A" tank scares me less than my stock Deuce tank on my 32.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I dont think the original tank is inherently dangerous. Ithink for instance its much safer than a 32 tank hanging off the back. Think about it how often have you seen the upper cowl/gastank damaged in a collision ? I'm sure it's happened but I personally have never seen it but I have seen tank's mounted behind rear wheels in the trunk or off the back 32 style split open. A few years back there was a post here on the HAMB with a video of a rear ended 32 engulfed in flames.I just think the odd's of getting rear ended are much greater than getting hit hard enough to damage a cowl mounted tank.

F&J likes this.
  11. My Model A rod had over a 140k miles when I sold it, plus the miles before it was a rod. When people suggested I put the tank behind rear seat, I always felt with it up front I could see what was going to hit it. Not the case for rear tank. Nothing is perfect.

Phil

3340, nunattax and F&J like this.
  12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

If someone in a Model A is hit in a way that ruptures the original tank into a fireball, they'll likely be ejected into opposite ditch & no longer wearing their shoes.
    Just drive defensively, with your head on a swivel, almost like you're on a motorcycle.
    Henry's tank is a good, safe design. It's other people on their cell phones you need to be aware of.
    I've had both cowl & trunk, & if not leaking, installed & vented properly, either way should be the least of your worries.

. . .

3340, nunattax and F&J like this.
  13. Still stock A placement....think that's a little better than behind the seat and not a whole lot behind the bumper to keep anything from coming on thru.. My 1949 Studebaker truck has the tank between the frame rails in the stock position....the big three finally moved it out from behind the seat in the late 70's.....then there was that blow up GM deal....

14. e z i

e z i

I'm running with a stock tank. Seems safer than a rear mounted tank to me.
    Pinto anyone?

3340, DA Suede Rods and F&J like this.
  15. leon bee

leon bee

I frequently ride machines with the tank right between my legs.

raven, F&J, clunker and 4 others like this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Running stock tank on my latest. Honestly wont move it, tons safer than one mounted behind the rear end due to a lack of frame rails going all the way to rear of body. Plus it would take an airborne car to really screw the stock tank up. Most normally side impact collisions would be about dead on the frame rail with newer cars and suvs... you may split a seam at worst, but I cant see it blowing a fireball. Hell most accident photos of the 30s the cowl was mostly intact and fuel tanks maybe twisted but never split. Everyone gets scared with fuel on top their legs, but when you think about things its not that bad for placement where there isnt much room for other options that are safer.

Bam.inc and F&J like this.
  17. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had my 30 roadster going on 6 years now and it has the original tank still in it with the original fuel gauge.. knock on wood.. it still works perfect so leave well enough alone .. I guess !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3340 and nunattax like this.
  18. I have a two door sedan and was worried about thank placement also so I mounted a tank behind the rear seat (with a metal divider between it and the seat). But to tell you the truth, I would have been better just using the stock tank, more chance of getting hit from the rear than the side. It is nice to get a glove box with the '39 Ford dash I installed but I sure would not want to get rear-ended!
    If your A is a coupe or roadster, you have a better place to mount a rear tank.

19. Original tank in my '29 Tudor.
    StrayKat 500 2018 (2).jpg

F&J and cederholm like this.
  20. run the stock tank. if you can run the 31 steering column mount as it mounts to the body not the tank. Many A's develop stress cracks in the column mount area over the years due to the steering column pushing on the tank.

21. i am running a stock tank in my coupe, stock fuel pump on a flathead... fuel shut off under the dash (passenger side).
    worst thing i have to deal with is closing the windshield to put gas in it...…
    Chappy

nunattax likes this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have owned several Model A's since 1970 and the only accident I have ever read about was about someone having the windshield cracked open when a gas station attendant was filling the tank and the driver lit a match to light a cigar and the gas fumes ignited. Fact or not, I don't know. My Deuce roadster has a 16 gallon bomb between the rear frame rails and I hate to think what would happen if I'm rear ended. I wouldn't worry about it. One thought though, your tank is 80 years old so I would run a couple of filters. I am in the process of restoring a '29 and the tank was so bad that I had to cut two access hatches in the bottom and took out a gallon can of crap.

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I used stock tank on both my 28 and 29 Tudors that I built.
    Never any issues. Drove the chopped 29 with V6 Buick for many years (12plus I think).

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My avatar was flathead powered and ran the stock tank, I also have a stock 29 coupe and a banger powered 30 pickup with the stock tanks. The pickup has been a daily driver for 18 years,

25. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Out of respect, I will not post the picture... but a Google search of "Houston couple perish antique car" will show the horrors.

A few years ago the Houston Model A Ford Restorers Club lost two great, long time members in a horrible accident. A Dodge Charger broadsided them at an estimated 70 mph during the Thanksgiving club outing. Fire did not occur.

F&J likes this.
  26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm running the stock tank!

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

8F175B86-FB5C-4260-8D30-54EB8EA1D332.jpeg

Stock tank here. Also still using the original gas shut off inside the cab. May change that this winter to eliminate any gas leaks in the cab.

28. cederholm

cederholm

I plan to keep mine when the 8BA goes in.

....and great looking Tudor.

29. Thank you...

30. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 72 year old co-worker daily drives this little Model A.

[​IMG]

I asked him if he thought the tank was dangerous, he looked me and said; "What are you? A fucking moron?" I guess that answers that question.

Car has a nasty dual quad Cad in it, by the way.

-Abone.