Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Acetylene tanks in freezing tempertures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Oct 18, 2018.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I have been storing a few of my large acetylene tanks in my garage. Up in New England winters it's not unusual to wake up some mornings and have it be -5F outside.

Typicaly it's around 20-30 degrees. I heard that m acetylene mixture turns to a liquid in cold tempertures. My concern is liquid sitting at the bottom of my tanks and rusting them out.

I won't be using them in the winter, jus for storage. Has anyone ever ran into any issues storing them in cold weather?

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Rust is oxidation caused by oxygen, not by "liquid".
    By definition, acetylene tanks have no oxygen inside.

Jitterbug likes this.
  3. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Ive worked outside welding and cutting all my life 20 below , no problems. The is no gas in that tank. All liquid.

loudbang likes this.
  4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Acetylene is dissolved in acetone in the tank, so there's plenty of liquid in there already. But nothing that can cause rust.

loudbang and jazz1 like this.

5. doug3968

doug3968

believe acetylene is stored in acetone for stability, freezing point of acetylene is -80 deg C, -113 deg F.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Good to know it won't do harm.

loudbang likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

Most probably don't know that back in the early days of cars/trucks, acetylene tanks were mounted on the vehicle to run the gas lights....in all States and all temps. That is where the smaller B size tanks originated from....and the tiny M? tank for motorcycles.

1934coupe likes this.
  8. jazz1

jazz1

Acetylene won't freeze. Its gotten so pricey I switched to propane 10 years ago. The heat range is not a issue for my purposes.