Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's getting dangerous out there!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I gotta agree with F&J. A good friend of my can't understand why I drive my '58 Chevy truck everyday, taking a chance on some yo-yo running in to it or worse. It's part of who I am.

The thing I'm seeing more and more are people running red lights like their on a deserted street- to the point I'm looking in my rear view mirror if I have to break half way decent for a yellow.

I've gone through on yellow lights kinda late only to see cars about 5 or 6 lengths behind me blow right on through.

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

HRP, I had to read this a couple of times, because when I first read it, I thought you hit the Challenger...

The Challenger pulls out in front of you?
    You have to brake because the Challenger pulls out in front of you?
    The Jeep coming up behind you, goes around (4 lane?) and hit's the Challenger in the door?

I was not there, but....
    It seems this wreck may be the Challenger's fault? He did pull out into traffic in front of you.

Distracted driver or excessive speed???

The Jeep driver did avoid a rear crash by going around you....unfortunately she hit the object you slowed for....the Challenger.

Was she distracted?
    Was she going too fast?
    Did the Challenger who drove into and across traffic, cause all of this?

3. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I've thought many times I would like to have a portable jammer so I could interrupt people on the phone while they were driving. The only problem I could see with this is if someone was making a 911 call.

kbgreen likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been trucking over 33 years now, and I’ve see a little bit of everything! Much more going on now than when I started what with all the cells and other electronic devices. I run from AL to TN and back every day, I see folks on phones, laptops and tablets, eating out of plates and bowls from home as well as takeout, putting on makeup and shaving, changing clothes, having sex, not just bj’s but intercourse, I’ve seen a lot from my lofty perch!

Distractions are everywhere. All the computer screens in new cars are dangerous! A Tesla passed me the other night, in the center dash was a computer screen bigger than on my pc st home! And those electronic controls for the hvac and radios, my wife’s Expy has that crap, I can’t work either without looking at them. I prefer the old two knob radios and two or three knob heaters, I can work them in my sleep

Someone mentioned the super bright emergency vehicle lights, I’ve complained about them to anybody that will listen. Old eyes, bifocals and super bright led lights don’t play well together!

Glad I live out in the country. We still have some fools out here, just not as many as in larger cities!

caseywheels likes this.
  5. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

If I knew my ignition was interfering with phone calls or texting, I would stay close to them just to be an asshole. This would make the tears run down my pant leg.

6inarow, Hotrodmyk and F&J like this.
  6. mountainman2

mountainman2

Having read entire tread, the only significant thing I question are comments about GPS danger. It might be dangerous if used improperly but is considerably safer than trying to read an old fashioned road map. Remember those days when the map was spread out over the steering wheel and dash? :eek:

Bechtel 56 and dirty old man like this.
  7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

When I moved to so-cal the first time in 05 I drove a hiboy 32 3w daily , parked it in the street at work , drove it to lunch, drove it to the mall, Walmart , grocery store , ect .. moved back in 2011 , would of never thought about doing that again ..2018 is just plain nuts

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not to downplay the issue but if I can survive the Costco parking lot I can survive anything.
    It starts inside, anywhere near the free handouts you're in a DMZ.

Hotrodmyk, Sky Six and Tomincanada like this.
  9. Called 911 with info today - mother with infant in lap on phone driving.....didn't get the plate the other day when I saw the mother ? by pass the infant seat in the back to give to the lady - mother ? - in the passenger seat as they drove off...I was like... gee....lots of carelessness out there....and then the guy last night when I had the trailer on back...glad I was looking....

deathrowdave likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Man you have hit a Grand Slam in my book . I rode many miles on an oil leaking , shakin , hand jammin Harley . Not to much today as I would like . Fear is explained as pain exiting your body , well I have been in tons of pain in my life , it gets harder to deal with daily . So the hand jammer is gone , I still have a swing arm , foot shifted , oil leaker doesn’t see much use anymore , because of a strange invention known as a cell phone . Driving my 3W and some fool smashing into me while on their cell phone sends fear and anger throughout me every time I think about it . I live on a major N to S US Hwy , it isn’t used near as much as it was in previous years . I have seen 3 deaths within the last 5 years in front of my home , because of Drug and Phone use . Scary stuff for me , I will never forget the views , burned deep into my brain . I am a gun owner and NRA member also . If you agree or disagree it’s up to you . The only question , I have for those that disagree is , “ Why have I never seen you or anyone protest in front of a cell phone stores or a car dealerships ? “ Isn’t killing and death the same if you use a gun or careless abuse of a cell phone or drugs while driving ? I live near an accident that took place on an interstate years ago , that most of us pass while on our way to Louisville Nats every year . A drunk driver killed , 27 kids on a church bus , while they were returning from a church outing . He got on the road goin the wrong way and smashed head on into the bus , causing the gas tank to burst into flames . My point is he is now out of prison free , there are 27 that never saw another sun rise . I never saw one protest at a Toyota dealer , that sold him a truck . Killing is killing if you use a gun , a cell phone , drugs or drinking . The punishments are too light , nothing will happen to change this until , people are held responsible for their actions . I’m sorry to rant but , this is a real sore spot on me that just got poked ! This is pretty safe fun hobby we all enjoy , I hate to see us in fear of not enjoying it because of a safety issue , that doesn’t need to be .

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm looking forward to when sensors are required that won't allow vehicles to get within a certain distance of the vehicle in front depending on speed. Some cars have these features now. They can't make drivers smarter so they have to make vehicles smarter.

Some areas have hands free cell phone use but it isn't that people's hands are in use, it's that their brain is distracted. Mythbusters did an episode on cell phone use while driving using a simulator both hand held and hands free and 29 out of 30 people were unable to finish the short drive error free.

F&J likes this.
  12. That's how I got hurt in 2011, someone on a cell phone plowed in to the car in back of me which was rammed into my car. I have the blue-tooth thing in my OT daily. I have trouble answering a cell phone while driving my Ford, so I don't. Anything important can wait until I'm parked. Laws should be stricter that's for sure, make the 1st offense around $500, 2nd $1000 and count as points on the license. I've been seeing some drunks on the road lately too, always fun to play tag with those morons...

13. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

---I thought it was what you got your one call on !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  14. robracer1

robracer1

Back around 10 years ago I was a road racing driving instructor. The way It works the student would bring there street car to the track for a charge and we would get in the passager seat and teach them road racing techniques. One of the tracks was Road Atlanta which is a fast track, in my C5 Vette could hit around the 140's mph in the back straight away, the students before coming to the track would ask is this dangerous and my answer was hell yes you have to drive on I 285 and I 85 to get there. I was not kidding!

dan31 likes this.
  15. fras2

fras2

Not as bad but it cracks me up when I see the new electronic billboards on the highway running adds like a huge television distracting drivers. I guess its ok for the state to distract drivers as long as they make money. They should be taken down or sued.

16. Rich S.

Rich S.

Wait till the young cell phone generation turns 70’s...That will be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

robracer1 likes this.
  17. robracer1

robracer1

^^^^^^^ Don't worry by the time they turn 70 all cars will be self drivers

18. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I commute 200 miles total everyday. I concentrate on my driving, and keep a lookout for the fools. I told my wife that someday someone is going to cream me.

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I think the fine in NC is $250 for using a cell phone, but that hasn't helped much. I see people holding them everyday while driving, including police officers. I even saw a cop typing on his laptop while driving the other day, and he was doing about 70mph. I guess if people see the cops doing it, they're gonna keep doing it too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. F&J

F&J

Yes, I keep hoping the insurance companies with their huge losses, and their lobbyists, can stop this "car company insanity" with dashboard display screens, and cell abuse....but how can laws or anything else, change the idiotic patterns of "the Walking Deads" that surround us?

Last summer I had a texter on my ass for 1/2 mile before I had to take a right hand turn onto a skinny side road. The main State Road is super wide there, and no cars were coming the other way. I kept pulling further & further over to the right so they could pass me, but the texter stays centered with my car... I end up just about in the dirt/grass, and then I realized that this asshole was only glancing up "occasionally" to follow ME, not the road!!. I swear that if I went off a cliff, they would have followed my car, not the road. That day is when I decided I would "brake test" these twats from then on.

I won't ever stop using my 32, but if I had been a biker all these decades, I cannot imagine how they feel about the daily risks on their M/C. They must have lost a lot of friends.

WTH are these people texting about? something that damn important?.... Call me insensitive, uncaring, but when two texters took out both telephone poles in either direction of my home, six months apart, I never even walked over to see if they were OK.

seb fontana likes this.
  21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The latest iphone operating systems have a feature that when the car is in motion the call/text goes to voice message. Both my wife and I use this. While I certainly agree with all of the comments on cell phones and distracted drivers, I'm concerned that there is a zero effort on the part of law enforcement in La Plata county to write tickets for moving violations. There is no longer a "fear factor" of getting a ticket for running a stop sign or speeding.

22. 392

Don’t forget the over populated deer.

mrchewie and Rich S. like this.
  23. Right after they Made a Law in my area the ones that Made the
    Law,
    Drove out of the Parking Lot with there Cell Phone in there Hand
    Talking to some yoyo & I blew the Horn & Waved my hand at him
    he smiled & put it Down.
    so much for Making a Law if the ones that Make it are above the Law.
    I carry a Cell phone But only use when I am Parked or in a Store.

Just My 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

williebill, F&J and Truck64 like this.
  24. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I concur. Everybody is in such a fucking rush. "Get out my way or I'll drive up your ass" Sadly, the amount I drive my hot road has decreased for just this reason. And it isn't just the young kids driving like assholes.

jim snow and F&J like this.
  25. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I have been leaning towards LED tail lights and 3rd brake lights on my builds,I know they are not traditional but I have been hit once and would like to avoid another incident.

jim snow, dan31 and F&J like this.
  26. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

There addicted to there cell phones. I'm surprised that people don't have them surgically attached to there body.

F&J likes this.
  27. RmK57

RmK57

Our penalties for distracted driving in B.C. are $368 + $175 for four points on your licence for total of $543. Funny thing it doesn't seemed to have slowed down the use of cell phones. Guess people have a lot of disposable income here.

28. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Distracted driving kills more people each year in this country then guns,you won't here it on the mainstream media and the politicians do nothing about it. I guess the victims lives don't matter.

GuyW and 46international like this.
  29. Dennis D

Dennis D

Same reason I quit riding..... D

Blue One likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I believe that the fine should be something like $2500 for the first offence and 6 months loss of your licence.
    After that it should be $5000 and no licence for one year.
    A third offence should be loss of the vehicle and phone and maybe 5 years without a licence.

Harsh ? How much is a life (or multiple lives ) worth and how do you get the message across to these brain dead assholes ?

williebill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.