Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ryan's Falcon - Young Gun's Straight Axle Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Rye-guy likes this.
  2. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

chryslerfan55 and Rye-guy like this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

It was fun to watch... It may have been the most popular "gasser' in the group this weekend. Considering what was there that's a huge compliment. A lot of Falcon folks came to see this Falcon thing in the Falcon pits and more than a Falcon few had their own Falcon stories to share.

Well done Ryan

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dude that was awesome!Et was good,mph looked strong,but the best part was the reaction time and 60’: .537 light leaves you with a bit of room to work on your lights,so that you can become “that guy” who beats faster cars just by cutting a better light and leaving on them,and the 60’ was just a little bit soft,meaning you’ve got lots of room to work with tire pressures,launch techniques,etc to whittle that down.If you’re able to knock a couple 10ths off the 60’,and get it down into the 1.70’s,that will roughly double the amount of time you’ll shave off your ET....So with no other mods,you could conceivable take almost a full second off the time it takes to get to the other end of the track!Best part is,(and this is my favourite part,cause I’m a cheap prick) it’s free/gratis!

Congratulations on the first pass!Looks like you’re hauling ass,and just gonna keep getting faster!

Keep us posted!

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Nice job Ryan! I do believe you and the prefect pilot are the fastest couple I know! You are surely bringing it to the fallout?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Rye-guy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Good to see it out and on the track, it will only get faster from here on. Every new build has room for improvement.

Rye-guy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Unfortunatey it won't be at fallout this year, don't have time off from work, but meltdown next year for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Saxxon

Saxxon

That's a little bit of an understatement... Ryan was seen in the pits with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel making those "subtle changes". Watching this car transition from sitting on a hoist for 15 years to a 12.79 car and big burnouts has been a highlight of my year. Now a few tweaks on the set up and some aggressive launches and that warmed over 429 is going to pushing the "Ugly Duckling" to 12.50's or better

"Well Done" - That phrase just doesn't quit express my pride and enthusiasm over what you've done here. I can't wait for you to join the Canadian Caravan down to the Meltdown Drags - 10th anniversary event

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    sc5080, Gammz, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  9. Saxxon

Saxxon

Some pics of Sunday's smoke show from the "Ugly Duckling"... they got even better on Monday complete with roll out and even bigger silly grin

Thank you Don Yewish for the pics

41067527_233759343973850_3625198409255747584_n.jpg 41170164_1829267147110321_392159715607445504_n.jpg 41262312_224096208462795_8213189110290972672_n (1).jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Gotgas, AHotRod, saltflats and 7 others like this.
  10. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and sc5080 like this.
  11. cktasto

cktasto

Just read the whole thread. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and share details, very helpful stuff.

Rye-guy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1325.JPG
    I'm hoping that someone can help me out here, i want to find out who owns this car or who built it because I'm looking at doing something similar with my rear fenders and was wanting to know how they did it, or if someone has any idea on how it was done (I'm talking about the flares around the wheels)

enloe, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Radiusing and flaring Falcon fenders is not all that hard. This was my old Falcon. 2013-10-10 11.57.11.jpg

15. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

The style of Southcross’ flares get my vote; less obvious and more of a match to the fronts. Even though you didnt ask.

16. loudbang

loudbang

Here is one more to look at.

falcon4.JPG

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Rye-guy like this.
  17. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    Here's what my fenders look like now with the inner part cut as well, I don't want to have a sharp edge and what to clean them up somehow, that's why I was looking at those wells

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

19. phill

phill

I used the front parts of 2 pair front fenders many years ago. Joined a left and a right together over the center of the wheel for each side. This let the body lines line up. Sorry no photos anymore. The process was common here in Australia in the 70s as a way of eliminating rust and fitting wide tires on the back.
    Phill

chryslerfan55, Rye-guy and loudbang like this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used an old Volvo front fender many years ago for a buddy . I know it sounds strange , but it was a dead nuts fit and shape . Google it , something many pop up , you never know .

Rye-guy and loudbang like this.
  21. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

As I am waiting for parts from the local speed shop, I decided to put my focus on something else on the car.
    That would be cleaning up the floor and figuring out how to get the backseat to fit.

I started off with the floor and I ended up using a fibreglass that I found at a local auto paint store to fill in the small holes, and then I will be covering it with the same product that is used on the floors in the prefect.
    It is a roof seal in a can that is super cheap but holds up very well.

The plan for the backseat is not for it to be functional obviously because of the cage, but I think it would look cool to have an almost full interior car, and it would cover up my shitty cuts on my rear firewall.

Finally today I had a bit of time so I got the side emblems put on the car, finally found clips that would hold them on.

Goals for this winter are to finish the exterior and interior including put in the door bars and finish painting the cage, wire up the headlights and tail lights, and install a steering damper.
    Those are the big things anyways.

loudbang, Gammz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1379.JPG

Really nothing has gotten done because of waiting on parts still, but I did get the back seat back into the car.
    I ended up cutting the bottom seat frame until it fit and actually used hose clamps to clamp it down to the original spots that it was attached to. It also sits very tight between the firewall and cage so it won’t move.
    And for the backrest I went to the craft store and picked up some stuffing foam and industrial Velcro and just put the stuffing between the cover and firewall and then velcroed the edges of the cover to the firewall

23. sc5080

sc5080

That seat is looking real good Ryan! Nice job.

loudbang likes this.
  24. RmK57

RmK57

Might be a good idea to check your pinion angle if your using CalTracs. 2-4 degrees negative pinion angle is a good start point.

It's a neat car. With a little work on suspension tuning you could be needing that roll bar to pass tech.

loudbang, Gammz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Looking for a bit of help here, I want to add a steering stabilizer on the car because even though it typically doesn’t have death wobble, I had it happen once on the return and it was scary enough to make me want one.
    So I am looking at the one that SoCal offers and also looking at just getting a VW stabilizer from the local parts store, but I am unsure as to how they would fit with how my front end is setup with how the bars cross etc.
    Or if someone has another type of stabilizer etc, would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG IMG_1392.JPG IMG_1388.JPG

Thor1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any recent work on this beast?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I haven’t updated because nothing really changed on the car over last winter.
    I bracket raced the car this summer and finished fifth in my class, had issues with transmission and carburetor that didn’t get figured out until I took the car to the fallout drags at the end of September but I still had a blast with my first season on racing, up for consideration as rookie of the year for our local track as well.

Car’s best pass was a 12.41 at 107-108

This winter there will be many changes done to the car.
    I found a 522 BBF for sale a province over and jumped on it. It’s a proven motor that on the old setup which was 14-1 comp. and nitrous ran a mid 8.
    The motor now is a 9.5-1 pump gas n/a monster that is estimated 700-750 horse.

So because of that I am moving up classes at the local track for bracket racing, so some changes are being made to the car to A strengthen the car, and B be competitive.

Adding engine bay bars that are tied into the cage, custom high stall converter, terminator transbrake button, rear gears, custom carb, possibly a delay box so I can run in more than one class, steering stabilizer, maybe wheelie bars and lots of little changes that need to happen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

saltflats, brianf31, Gammz and 6 others like this.
  28. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That ought to get you moving!

I'm building my own 460 powered Falcon so I have a few questions. How much clearance do you have from axle to oil pan at ride height? Did you have to massage the inner rear wheel wells? Lastly, what steering column did you use? Thanks in advance.

29. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

That’s sweet!
    I don’t know the exact number for the oil pan to axle distance but I have a drop axle as well as we switched the pan to a rear sump to clear all the steering etc. I’m not sure how much bigger this new race pan is, so hopefully it fits.

I completely cut out the outer half of the inner rear wheels and cut the fender itself to fit the 28x10.5-15 tires. Keep in mind that the inner goes right to the lip of the outer.

The steering column is either competition or Baer, I don’t remember, but it comes with some joints, the column and the steering wheel quick release, super simple but it works.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and brianf31 like this.
  30. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very close to first fire!

I’m thinking of getting my headers ceramic coated, does anyone have any experience with getting theirs done? Longevity? Worth the money? Etc

loudbang, Thor1, brianf31 and 2 others like this.