Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum Header pipes...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hardtimesainit, Oct 15, 2018.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Anyone ever build/run header pipes made of aluminum ?
    Or is it impractical idea ??
    I’m thinking alum header on an alum block.
    The other day, I heard that some newer car was equipped with alum exhaust headers, maybe just dreamed it.
    With all the modern types of alum available today, just may be possible ?

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

From a quick google search. The melting temperature of aluminum is 1,221 Degrees F. Cast iron melts at 2,100 Degrees F, or a little higher, depending on the casting mix.

I suspect that if the engine is run hard, the aluminum will melt. I also suspect that the aluminum will quickly corrode away at normal exhaust temperatures. I am an electrical guy, so stay tuned for expert comments in the morning.

G-son and Hnstray like this.
  3. Impractical... and it has been done, although before you think. Pontiac cast a handful of aluminum 'headers' for their factory A/FX program in the early sixties but they were short-lived. Couldn't take the heat, even in the short time duration of drag racing.

You may be able to get the 'look' though. Before ceramics and powder coating, the premium coating for headers was 'aluminizing', literally a spray-on coating of vaporized aluminum. Major drawback was it stained rather easily, and headers would still rust... from the inside out. There must somebody still around that still has the equipment to do this.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

You can get boat, water manifolds in different engine makes. They might look odd on a car though.
    I think someone cast up some Studebaker R3 manifolds in aluminum.
    But actual aluminum tubing to be used for headers... Might work for around town driving. but any fun/freeway or racing, na... Would have holes burned in the first bend in no time.

Mike

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Even back in the good old days when airplanes had headers they were inconal. Aluminum loses strength with heat. There is a good reason you don't see it in use for headers. Use stainless if you want bling.

6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks all for your input !
    If I want bling, I would have iron header ‘ceramiacoated’.....inside and outside, as I’ve done in past...works great !
    However, I’m thinking weight savings, ergo alum question.

7. XXL__

XXL__

Skip a few lunches. Cheaper and better for your health.

54vicky, badvolvo and 56don like this.
  8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks for the advice, but having a bout with cancer right now, and a couple of recent stays in hospital has covered all of those bases...i.e.-skin/bone right now ! Hey, life is good and I'm still here....but alum is out !

XXL__ likes this.
  9. XXL__

XXL__

I've been there, done that as well. We're still here.

10. If you spell those aluminum manifolds this way > t-i-t-a-n-i-u-m, they will work pretty well. :rolleyes:

11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks. Hadn’t thot of titanium.
    Will look into that.

12. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

1963 Pontiac HO 421 had factory cast aluminum headers. Did not work very well. They will melt.

13. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

and if they dont melt ? you see aluminum pistons run in almost every engine.. they are thicker then pipe though and can dissipate the heat through the skirts. and you see aluminum heads but they are water cooled.
    the issue i would say is they will break at the flanges and or collector welds.. the extreme heat cycles on thin wall header pipe material will make the temp differences from flange to pipe detach from each other. and at the welds area. and they may sag or bend easy when at temperature.. thats most likely what i think would be the issue.

14. philjafo

philjafo
    from right here

Chrysler’s 3.6 liter in my Jeep and I think in all their minivans the header is cast as part of the head.

15. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

Actually it was the Super Duty cars not HO's. Anyway it's rumored the original ones would literally be dripping at the end of a 1/4 mile run. A place called RamAir Restorations is reproducing them currently in modern aluminum specs and claim with an internal coating they can be run on the street with no issues. I plan to use a set on our '61 Catalina but'll be another year or so before that happens.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  16. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Pistons don't melt because there water and oil cooled. Take away the water and oil and see what happens. Heads are air and water cooled. Samething

17. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Yes super duty. Miss typed HO

18. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

2 strokes arent.. neither are nitro rc engines?

19. XXL__

XXL__

Fuel charge cools them all.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are plenty of water cooled 2-stroke engines out there, and the ones that aren't water cooled are air cooled. And that little bit of oil film between the piston and cylinder in 2-stroke and RC engines plays a huge role in transferring the heat from the piston to the cylinder.

And as mentioned earlier, the fresh intake charge also cools the engine a bit, especially in those 2-strokes with good scavenging. Then of course you have the big supercharged 2-strokes (Detroit Diesel among others) that blow a lot of fresh air through the cylinders on each cycle.

21. DennieC

DennieC

Another reason (of many) why aluminum headers and pipes are a bad idea is that heat passes through aluminum easily and quickly compared to steel. This cools the exhaust gases thus reducing gas velocity and reducing the scavenging effect of headers and pipes. Wrapping and coating exhaust tubes keeps the heat in and the gas velocity up. Aluminum exhaust components therefore reduce engine efficiency.

XXL__ likes this.