Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y Block oil pressure sender Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ziffer, Nov 24, 2016.

1. ziffer

ziffer
    from michigan

I am setting up a wet gauge for oil pressure and need to know if either of the ports in the picture (under masking tape) is more advantageous to use than the other? Thanks for the help.
    DSC00996.JPG

2. BJR

BJR

I think the upper one is for a block drain. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

54vicky likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Correct , both of my Y Blocks have petcocks in the upper hole, they are block drains.
    The lower holes are plugged off.
    The oil pressure port is located towards the rear of the engine just behind the oil filter.

4. squirrel

squirrel

the lower one would work for oil pressure. That's where the factory idiot light sender is on my 292.

54vicky likes this.

5. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

As mentioned above, the lower one or the one back by the oil filter will work too

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. OK. Excuse my ignorance, but are the oil "ports" pictured in the first entry plugged up? How do you access them? (Can you post more pictures?) I'm trying to add an oil pressure gauge to my 272. (In addition to the oil pressure sending unit) I'm having a problem getting a tool to remove oil pressure sending unit. No room to turn anything. Special socket I bought was too deep. Want to use a T-Pipe to run both. Thoughts? Thanks.

7. squirrel

squirrel

there is a row of plugs on the side of the engine, in line, front to back, with the sending unit. Remove one of those plugs, and put your gauge oil line there.

8. Y blocks have oil pressure? Whodathunkit.

9. 54vicky

54vicky

smart ass:):):)

10. 54vicky

54vicky

that is where I suggested in your post on the the 52-59 social forum that motor mount in pic is not a stock mount but the port is in same spot on your motor

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018