Register now to get rid of these ads!

History hypothetical question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 5, 2018.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only one I miss is my first car. It was a black '57 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 door hardtop that I bought in 1964. It was a nice car for $800. I sold it in 1966 to go on my all expenses paid senior trip to SE Asia.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. CME1

CME1

That would be my ex 1940 Ford Deluxe Opera Coupe. I got it completed to how I wanted it. Time to go on to the next one. Sold it with the idea that I would get another '40 later. Wow the price of 1940 Ford's hit the roof! Year's now past, if I found that 1940 Ford and it was unchanged much, and for sale at a good price, I would consider buying it!

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Did Get That Hypothetical Phone Call And I Did Buy My My Real Time Hot Rod Back....(After 31 Years)... DSCN1144.JPG

4. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

My 63 Impala SS convertible. Sold it for $500 in 1974.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ If hypothetically it's still as it was? She was a blank canvas at the time (untouched).

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Oh yeah.Unfortunately,they were reduced to junk by a couple of drunk drivers.Both Doctors:eek:.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

9. This thread sure does remind me of some of those dog/pony books that I read as a youngster.
    Insert noun of your choice:
    Boy meets ______.
    Boy loves ______.
    Boy loses ______.
    ______ has a rough patch without boy.
    Boy eventually finds ______ again.
    Boy and ______ ride into the sunset.

10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have bought and sold so many over the years I can't even remember them all. I have three that I would buy back if I could, the 40 Ford Tudor, the 55 F-100 with the sbc, but the one I hated to sell the most and would really like to have back is the 65 GTO convert that I had to sell when Mr. Nixon sent me the greetings letter. That can never happen as I got word when I was in basic training that the guy I sold it to totaled it and it was scrapped. Some times lifes a bitch and then you die.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely! There are a half dozen cars and motorcycles I've sold that I would buy back in a heartbeat if the price was right. Most are O/t. but I'd buy them back anyway.
    1940 Ford Pickup
    1953 Belair
    1966 Nova
    1973 Nova
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1959 Harley FL
    1974 Honda 350 Four
    1978 Honda Gold Wing

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. I had a GTO when I got my draft notice also. HRP

13. I built an O/T Dodge 4x4 shortbed, 318 4 Speed, that I actively look for every week. I had no idea when I sold it that my son was so attached to it. He called it “Sam the Ram”. When we bought my 2018 Ram 2500, I asked my son if we were going to call the new truck Sam. He started crying and telling me how much he missed the old truck. I had no idea and still feel like a heel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

classiccarjack likes this.
  14. ...I've only bought one back,...and after 4-5 years it still had every lil sqeak and rattle as I remember'd it having originally,...ran/drove the same,...didn't need it but my friend sold it back for same price I sold it to him,...kept it awhile and re-sold it,..it's still drivin around somewhere in Missouri I think
    my cars 028.jpg

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  15. The 1965 Ranchero I bought new when I was 19, It's probably long gone so I'll just build one like it. Only better.
    DSCF4476.JPG DSCF4477.JPG

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    There were two cars that we sold that would have been nice to have in our garage over the years. Sure, after selling the remains of the 1940 Willys to the scrap yard intact for measly, take away money, it would have been nice to be able to rebuild the Willys coupe again. But, that would have been a harrowing experience at home for the family, especially my mom.

upload_2018-10-15_3-15-30.png
    Then a few years later again, after cruising and racing the 58 Chevy Impala it was a sad day in 1965, when I drove to the gas station where my friend worked and gave him the pink slip and keys. Driving away with another friend was bittersweet. The memories in the 58, being my first official owned car, the excitement of acceleration, and the looks on the street made it worth while, but sad.
    upload_2018-10-15_3-17-8.png
    Even though, I had a new 1965 El Camino and was safely tucked away at college in Northern California, those Bixby Knolls and Lions adventures always ran in my mind. I even attended the nearby Fremont Dragstrip for a few sessions to rekindle something of our missing, So Cal lifestyle.

There were times that it took over so much, that my grades began to fall…not a good sign. I am sure it was part of the moving away from home and being in a completely different environment that caused the backwards thinking. Home sickness for the first time AWAY college student, it was not good.

But, honestly, after those "topsy turvy" days of high school hot rod/drag race adventures, it was sort of anti-climatic in the following years of the mid/late 60s. The world was drastically changing, the conversations were not just about hot rods, surfing or motorcycles. It was a new horizon about to fall on our heads. It was the US against the antiquated society that was harping on everyone’s brains.

Jnaki

Costs to just live independently, meeting new friends and very close relationships were the stepping stones to actually, “GROWING UP.” Being a different person began to creep into the main picture. We were no longer teenagers. There was a whole new world ahead of us…being young adults.

This was a period of less worldly possessions and stepping stones to becoming what we are today, in thoughts and goals. Being together and searching for what we wanted to be part of, while growing up as certified adults was the new game.

But, growing up with hot rods was hard to stuff back into the empty areas of our minds. As the 70s/80s rolled around, we began to see the changing world and how we were able to be independent and still be part of the picture.

With all of that behind us, if the 58 Impala, still in Long Beach, were to have been offered to us, it would have been nice to get it back on the road with the same feelings of just having fun in that old teenage car. If the Willys coupe was also offered, a whole new world may have been created, too. But, back in our minds, it was a dream, as life was intervening and money was a deciding factor.

17. Yep......I sold the 41 Plymouth in 2013 due to business pressures............still wish I hadn't........it had its faults but it was an enjoyable car to have........andyd

Attached Files:

18. Normant93

Normant93

I'd love to have my OT '67 Firebird coupe back, factory 400 - 4 speed, sold it to pay my 2nd year college tuition. I was the second owner (first owner was my friend's dad) so it was pretty mint.
    all the other cars and bikes.... not so much, well, except maybe the '83 Honda CB1100F and the '74 CR250M Elsinore, man those were fast & fun bikes, never should have sold them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. exterminator

exterminator

Yes my 33,40 ford coupes, 55 and 57 chevy nomads if I could get them for the prices I paid for them back in the 70s.;)

20. 53 Buick Skylark, 3 36 / 37 Cords ,40 Graham Hollywood, 40 LaSalle, Milf Robbins chopped 39 Ford tub, 2 52 Ford Mainline, 3 66 Olds Toronados, 56 Buick Century, 57 Merc turnpike cruiser, 55 Plymouth Hardtop, 34 Ford roadster, 49 Merc custom all long gone, 29 Ford roadster, 39Ford Tub, Chopped 51 Merc with a Carson (Still have them) I'd take them all back! I'd need 2 or 3 Mil now to buy them back. HAHAHAhahah!!!! Fortunate to have owned them

21. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I have bought at least a half dozen of my cars back over the years. Here's three of them.
    bills phone 009.jpg bills phone 007.jpg 20170515_101011.jpg

22. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Yes sir! My full fendered 3 window, Black Lacquer paint, SBF, c4 8" rear sold for $5,500 in '74 for a house down payment..Wifes lasting words" you will get another" yes finally a '40 coupe. Just like my father always wanted.

23. metalman

metalman

Getting your first car back might be like getting your first girlfriend back...the ride might not be as good as you remember! Of course I probably shouldn't say that, went on a date with my first high school steady here last summer, hadn't seen her in 40 years. Had a great time!
    I know where my first hot rod is, been sitting since I sold it years ago. I've asked, the current owner isn't interested in selling, probably just as well he won't. Too many cars still on my wish list I've never owned to go back to the past.

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Got before and after pictures?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Was it a Mopar?

26. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Some folks are builders with a vision. They get more joy out of building and saving some old cars and pass them along. The good news is that some people don't know how to build cars, think that they are cool, buy one and treat it like gold. Just keep on keeping on, your doing the hobby good.

I fall in love with my crap.... Can't ever bear to part with my projects unless they get smashed by others... LOL. But that's how I am. Hopefully that is a good thing too. But my insurance sure is HIGH!!!!

Sky Six likes this.
  27. An Oldsmobile.
    Not a 442.
    An F85 that ate 442's for breakfast.

28. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Awesome car!!! Yeah, I get it.

29. About 25 years ago I had a chance to buy back the first hot rod I ever built (OT car}.The guy had trashed it out so bad I passed. Saw one last year that was built 90 percent like my old one so I bought it and recreated my old one.

30. Here's what I got back. Don't be mistaken with my disappointment, I still Love this thing.
    20180630_113900.jpg That is not Brown paint, it's Rust from having all the paint removed and then left outside to the elements. Doors and front clip are not the same pieces it was wearing when driven away. Don't even have the same Motor/Trans in it. All "Before" photos are still shots being there wasn't any digi crap yet. I will bring it back if I can live long enough. Ahhh, the power of the H.A.M.B!
    The Wizzard