Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What is going on with old car prices!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Oct 13, 2018.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That would have to be the Lil Red Longhorn Hi-Boy Crew Cab, with cab lights in the visor, for that much.

3. In the simplest terms, I think people are just moving money around. When the market is volatile, people put cash into tangible things like collector cars, guns, etc, that reasonably hold their value. Now that the economy has perked up, people are liquidating and moving into other investments such as housing, housing upgrades, etc.

Unfortunately, if you're on the selling side right now in the collector car hobby the market is flooded, especially with project/driver quality cars.

The time to stockpile is now, boys and girls.

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Most of the time it doesn't matter, I couldn't afford them then and I can't afford them now. If I don't build it I'm not getting one.

dan31 and 6inarow like this.
  5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

6. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to keep receipts for the parts and stuff . I stopped that some time back. I knew I was sinking money in a hole but part of it for me is the journey. My wife and I have driven to other states just for a fender or something I needed. Met incredible people. I will never get back anywhere near what I have spent ( and am spending since my 34 P&J arrives next week) but I knew that going in. I hope my little brother enjoys them, the bastard.

Pinstriper40 and pigfluxer like this.
  7. When they start selling cheap, I'll invest in a property, build a shop, and BUY THEM ALL. I guess first I gotta graduate college...

Pinstriper40, Bearcat_V8 and dan31 like this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

Play and win the Mega Ball tonite and buy 'em all!;)

9. Seems the prices for parts are higher than a complete older restored car (let's say Model A's) if you look at it by the piece. If you add up the prices piece at a time you would pay more than the complete car. Just my thoughts.

10. elba

elba

I think prices will be going down because 60% of collector cars are owned by baby boomers and they are leaving us daily. I am 70 and my children don't want mine .

LOU WELLS and ct1932ford like this.
  11. chopped

chopped

Did someone delete the examples of underpriced cars?

clem and Squablow like this.
  12. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

IMHO, the hobby is still fresh and active with the younger generation, just not in old Detroit iron. The hobby for the youngsters is going towards JDM and small displacement forced induction. The kids are just as, umm, inlcined to work on the cars as any of us, it's just that the work is done as much with a computer and engine mapping as with a wrench. Same hobby, different aspects. Leno said on his show recently, that it seems kids today either know nothing at all, or know a whole hell of a lot, unlike our generation where everyone knew how to change a tire, a battery, brakes or adjust a carburetor. Or at least what and where the carburetor is. As our generation becomes sated and saturated with our nostalgia buys, we realize that there are more cars of the era surviving than there are people and thus you have supply/demand that makes it a buyers market. I really believe prices for these old analog cars will only continue to fall. For the younger hobbyists they aren't as interesting, not nearly as comfortable and no where near s driveable as the tuner cars their generation grew up with.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. 396/425

396/425

I don’t know about the prices of cars being all that big of a change....but I’ll assure you this...go to a swap meet and price the parts. Holy cow....they are outta site. Glad I don’t need a pick up truck full of parts for a resto.

dan31 likes this.
  14. $6500 can get you a lot of ugly IJS

lancer paint big.jpg

nochop likes this.
  15. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Millions of Antique Cars and Trucks in America, The Folks that give a flip about them gets smaller every Year. Just off the top of my Head I know about 20 young Men in my Area ( Below 30) that has never give my Old stuff a 2nd look. 1/2 of them Family.

16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, after the whole TV show price bubble went up and up.... now its on a downward slide We can hope. Id be glad to see that Gashole Monkey show go away.

Hopefully everyone learned a lesson....and hopefully sold something to make some good change on the rise side. The market is flooded with good builds for decent money... The only bad side is the parts side and project car side is still inflated...... Once that adjusts yeah we will have some easy picks of the mill.

Yet some shops still get their 6 figure builds on 32's cause some guys wants one. Its a repop car from stem to stern but he doesn't care, but when he gets done riding the fad train he will try to ask 100k for it, and be pissed he cant sell it for what he had in it.

Think about the 6 figure cars running through auctions right now, most of them are netting 75% loss. Maybe 50%. Still the market is finally adjusting, sit back and let it adjust it will bring new life into this stuff, just takes a bit.

redoxide likes this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I think many of the overpriced Monkey type build/sales are just staged for tv/or some idiot paying a lot of $$$ to get
    his/her face on tv. Seems several cars that "sold" on these shows show up in the background of later shows. I figure my personal build is going to cost me more than I could sell it for, but with the price of new trucks today it will still be cheaper than going out and buying new. Besides I enjoy it.

dan31 likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sky is falling! It really i...nope, never mind. It's snowing;)

Between now and spring, if no massive "event" fucks up our daily lives, it's a pretty fair buyer's market. The rise we might see won't be huge but a rise no less. As to "...nobody wants...", much like gasser madness, I maintain hope that old saw goes away. I heard it in the 70s as a young and eager car freak, the 80s when 'hi-tech' was in vouge, again in the 90s but 'Pro Street' was in and gave us 14X32 tires under everything from a Camaro to a 4dr Model A. Yet through all of this the truly serious stuff, the stuff of dreams, it keeps going up. I remember a Packard 12 roadster being outrageously priced at $150K. Now a good one is creeping up on $500K. A good one with a history. See when all this started we were a population of 1/2 what it is today. Ever think a restored Model T would see 6 figures? Then explain a towncar project selling, SELLING, for $100K. I'd like to meet Mr. Nobody, you know the guy "they" all talk about? "Nobody wants this stuff." I have 2 zero rust ever serious cars for the dude and more coming in the near future.

Relax, enjoy your car, stop listening to car "pundits", and use value barometers with a seasoning of logic. Still, if anyone's in a panic I'll give you $5,000 for your A-V8 coupe on Deuce rails. Finished of course...:eek:

19. afaulk

afaulk

My plan is that if its too cheap for me to walk away I will buy it. I've started buying and selling Racing and Vintage parts. So far the profit from the parts I sell pays for the stuff that is accumulating + a little, LOL. One day I'll sell that stuff for .25 cents on the dollar and that will be profit also. For example a few weeks ago I bought parts of three 1962 Corvette bodies, no frame, no powertrain. The stuff was just so cheap I couldn't leave it...….I dont think old cars will go out of style in my lifetime but the times sure are-a -changin'.

20. 6sally6

6sally6

Maybe Rich Hendrix and his pal($$$) Ron somebody.... finally bought all the rare-low mileage-one off-muscle cars and street rods they needed for their collection?!
    6sally6

21. Sad reality IS, how many people in this country 30 and under know how to change their oil? Know how to change a flat? Change a valve cover gasket? Have a collection of hand tools they started buying like out of high school? NOT MANY, now how many of those spend countless hours playing video games and own every game console and computer known to man, a lot of them...our kids never wanted to do what we did, they had no interest in what it takes to keep a car running or make it run faster, for the most part they had NO interest in automobiles because they had too many electronic gadgets to baby sit them, and a lot of that is our fault! Like the others said the target market for old iron is US and we are drying up by the day. YES, your jdm tuner crowd is alive and well with their 4 banger turbo cars but IMHO that is a smaller market than vintage iron.

redoxide likes this.
  22. sololobo

sololobo

special builds are selling at sacrifice pricing. Classic stuff like Ford Broncos, early Camaros, early Chevelles, Mopar muscle, and the likes are still high. Not a good place for a drag car, custom car, or your Firebird ala Smoky.

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Maybe Rich Hendrix and his pal($$$) Ron somebody.... finally bought all the rare-low mileage-one off-muscle cars and street rods they needed for their collection?!"

Ron Pratte sold his car collection and automobilia stuff a few years ago. His collection brought in around $40 million combined after everything was sold.

Without his deep pockets bidding up certain cars they don't go as high without him in the game.

24. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm 31, and have been watching this stuff since i was 12... There have been highs and lows, but it looks like the early Ford market is softening up, and project cars are near impossible to sell if it has more than 2 doors. I've got my stash of stuff, and no matter what the prices are on things I plan on building!

Having said that, i don't think we're too far away from seeing roller '32 sedans for $5k and 5W rollers for 12-15k...

25. The majority of people in the old car hobby, build, buy collector vehicles because they like them. They remind us of our youth and a simpler time years ago.
    So to the people who want to make money with collector cars, there is an old saying.
    "If you want to make a million dollars with collector cars, start with 2 million. And in no time you'll have 1 million!
    If the whole idea was to make money, you should have invested in real estate instead of old cars. But we do it because it makes us happy! Things change, times change and besides your only on this earth for a short time.
    So stop bitchin', get your Hot Rod out of the garage and burn some rubber! :)

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  26. no55mad

no55mad

When driving by the new car dealerships and seeing some of last years models advertised on sale for $60k, seems people are used to big bucks for cars. There are small old track houses in Calif big cities going for $1 million. It's a shame and those high prices keep the young guns out of the jalopy market for financial reasons but it seems to be the reality of things. Is it that the hobby is fading or just a toy out of reach. Young guns have so many expensive toys (toys other than cars) to choose from today. Those that have mechanics in their blood, like most of us here do, will find a way.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    olscrounger and Pinstriper40 like this.
  27. CA. 280

CA. 280

Just an update on this thought, .Jonathan Ward's latest "Icon Derelict" at SEMA; 50' Merc coupe with Tesla power
    and Chevy's latest crate engine in their booth?? you guessed it, EEV.

28. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

F&J likes this.
  29. Latigo

Latigo

I've been watching stock model A sedans and pickups for the past couple of years. Just a tire kicker till the right one comes along. Haven't really seen much change in prices. Some look like OK buys and some are ridiculously high. I know I couldn't build one for some of the prices. When that "can't walk away" deal turns up, I'll pull the trigger. (Don't tell my wife)

30. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

For me, at seventy plus and then some, if I were to buy that always wanted, dream hot rod, race car, honestly I wouldn't be using it for that long.

zzford likes this.