Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '35 Pickup Build Thread - Alaska in August '18!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks Phil, glad you're liking it! I've been driving it around town as much as I can. Seems to be a bit cold blooded now, but she'll do 80 on the highway no problem. Definitely smaller than the new ones...
    IMG_20181011_144713.jpg

chryslerfan55, mgtstumpy, F&J and 2 others like this.
  2. I'm still totally interested in this thread.
    Well, you had some adventure anyways.
    Old trucks are the best!

3. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks for coming along for the ride Flowmeister! I'm loving this thing. It's my first flathead, and it puts the biggest, dumbest grin on my face every time I drive it. I had my upholstery guy install seat heaters under the leather, so I'm going to wire them up today so I can stay toasty as it gets chilly up here in the D.

slv63 likes this.
  4. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I really enjoyed reading all the details of your reconstruction and your attempt to drive to Alaska. Will you try again next year? Flatheads are the best!

5. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks! And yes, kind of. We were entered into the Alcan5000 from Seattle to Fairbanks, and that only occurs every 2 years, so we're likely to try February of 2020. Between now and then I need to seal the cab so I don't freeze!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might consider a snow plow too

Boryca likes this.
  7. I may have missed it? How are you controlling the Columbia rear? (I have one slated for a project and am in the data collecting phase!)

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  8. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'll have to get a pic of how I'm doing it, but it's basically an electrically controlled vacuum solenoid. It needs a vacuum reservoir so it shifts faster, but overall I'm fairly happy with it. Same solenoid that Ford used in the 80s & 90s trucks with dual tanks. I'll get pics and find the number.

chryslerfan55 and MIKE STEWART like this.
  9. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

A great project and adventure. I will be looking forward to hearing more progress and fun over the next couple years!

10. Latigo

Latigo

Sometimes you get the bear.....sometimes the bear gets you. Enjoyed the build thread. Sorry you didn't make the run but you'll have heated seats in 2020!

11. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Please post a picture of your Columbia rear end controls. I have the canister for mine - but not a complete working set of controls. Your solution sounds good. Also thought about trying a linear electric actuator.

cactus1 likes this.
  12. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

13. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

This Columbia was from a 1940 Lincoln Continental - has a late 1940's pickup open drive shaft and Muncie 4 speed and 327 Chevy engine.

cactus1 likes this.
  14. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Nice setup, Mike. Since I'm "working" from home these days, I can finally look out my "corner office" window and see my little truck! I'll walk out and get some pics when the boss let's me go on break. :D

15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Pardon the dirt on these, I drive the old gal every chance I get.

I used an overdrive escutcheon from an MG for the electric toggle switch on the dash. This actuates the vacuum switch for on/off.

IMG_20200331_135615.jpg IMG_20200331_135621.jpg
    Speedometer rectifier (not really sure what this is called, I call it a rectifier because that's what it does in my mind...), also vacuum driven off the same switch.

IMG_20200331_135639.jpg
    Here's the vacuum switch. It's a generic fuel tank selector valve that's used as a replacement in motor homes and Ford trucks with dual tanks.

IMG_20200331_135727.jpg
    This is a vacuum reservoir that helps with faster shifting. The actuator under the bed is pretty big, so having some extra volume helps quite a bit.
    IMG_20200331_135732.jpg IMG_20200331_135744.jpg

Underside - I rebuilt this whole thing, came out of a '46 something or other, probably Lincoln. Had been sitting under a house in Tennessee for decades, so I had to replace the axles due to corrosion, and one of the spring hangers was rusted beyond salvage, so I modified the whole thing to use '35/36 radius rods. Had to widen the gap on the radius rod mounting points a bit, but nothing a cut-off wheel and welder couldn't fix. I believe I had to move them 3/8" further apart, so my wheelbase is now roughly 3/16" narrower in case anyone's doing the math.

IMG_20200331_135825.jpg
    Better shot of the actuator in the rear. I'd really like to change this to manual at some point, just because I like the idea, but realistically this hasn't given me any problems. I probably have 5,000+ miles on it at this point with no complaints.

IMG_20200331_135834.jpg
    This last one shows how I routed the lines. I fabbed up some band clamps to go around the radius rods, using some 1/8" rubber as a buffer material, all so I didn't have to drill holes in the rods. I liked the look when done too. Man do I need to clean this thing...

IMG_20200331_135911.jpg

There you go @MIKE STEWART - that's the whole setup!

16. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Wow - Love it. I might try this vs manual. My only issue is my gauges are electric and the speedo is a pluse type - no manual cable. I have not even hooked it up yet - I am sure I will run in O/D on the open road with the 4.44 ring gear. The 327 has power pack heads and a 30/30 solid lift cam. Revs up quick - Your trucks looks cool - like it and thanks for the pics and help.

17. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I cleaned up the vacuum cansiter on the Columbia Two Speed Rear. Had mud in the 2 vacuum ports - after oiled - the diagram moved well on the bench. The leather seal looks good. Did you replace yours or clean up original? My engine produces 12 inches of vaccum and the reserve canister is a great idea.